Paleo diet

Options

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    2. Half of your plate should be veggies, the other half should be some awesome meat (with yummy fat)

Would meat comsumed during the paleolithic era have had a lot of yummy fat since it would have been wild game? Most wild game is a lot lower in fat than farmed meats. It actually would surprise me if meat were e a huge part of the caveman's diet since plants are so much easier to come by.

hmmm I do remember saying it's a very general guideline right? yea I did.

And "farmed" meats today have more fat because they are fattened up with GRAINS. That's why I eat as much grass fed as possible. Not because fat is bad, but grain fed meat has more omega-6's and a bunch of other things I don't care to get into right now. If you actually care to know, (which I'm guessing you don't since you are just here to troll), you can look it up yourself.

Anyway, there are also things called Bison (which is more fatty) that "cavemen" would eat, but they wouldn't get it very often so when they did, they would eat a lot of it in one sitting (that is the general assumption anyway). But that brings up Intermittent fasting which is a whole other can of worms. But I'm sure they wouldn't be stuffing themselves with veggies the day they finally get some awesome meat. So it probably evened out.

But nuts and seeds have lots of fat too (along with protein) and I'm guessing they didn't have to to and kill an almond or a sunflower.

So what? We can have a more balanced diet day-to-day now. I'm not trying to be a caveman. I really like my smart phone, internets, shampoo and fancy shoes. I just try to do best by my local economy and farmers, eat the food that seems to be making me feel better, and stay away from grains, especially wheat, that have been genetically modified yet NEVER tested on humans to make sure we could still correctly process the "new and improved" wheat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    2. Half of your plate should be veggies, the other half should be some awesome meat (with yummy fat)

Would meat comsumed during the paleolithic era have had a lot of yummy fat since it would have been wild game? Most wild game is a lot lower in fat than farmed meats. It actually would surprise me if meat were e a huge part of the caveman's diet since plants are so much easier to come by.

I believe that they would have eaten the fat, offal (organs), the leaner meat and pretty much everything except for the hide. Bone marrow is full of fat that is fantastic for you and they would have sucked the marrow out of the bones as well.

So yes, they would have been eating a lot of fat.

Hmm, so they go to all the trouble of killing animals, cutting or ripping (did they have knives??) them open, breaking the bones open to suck the marrow, but they wouldn't pick a fresh pea off the vine and eat it? Man, those cave dudes don't seem like they made efficient use of their time and energy.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I believe that they would have eaten the fat, offal (organs), the leaner meat and pretty much everything except for the hide. Bone marrow is full of fat that is fantastic for you and they would have sucked the marrow out of the bones as well.

So yes, they would have been eating a lot of fat.

Hmm, so they go to all the trouble of killing animals, cutting or ripping (did they have knives??) them open, breaking the bones open to suck the marrow, but they wouldn't pick a fresh pea off the vine and eat it? Man, those cave dudes don't seem like they made efficient use of their time and energy.

Ok, you are just trolling and trying to pick an argument................

I am no longer responding to you because you are conversating in an ignorant way.
  • bcattoes
    Options

hmmm I do remember saying it's a very general guideline right? yea I did.

And "farmed" meats today have more fat because they are fattened up with GRAINS. That's why I eat as much grass fed as possible. Not because fat is bad, but grain fed meat has more omega-6's and a bunch of other things I don't care to get into right now. If you actually care to know, (which I'm guessing you don't since you are just here to troll), you can look it up yourself.

Anyway, there are also things called Bison (which is more fatty) that "cavemen" would eat, but they wouldn't get it very often so when they did, they would eat a lot of it in one sitting (that is the general assumption anyway). But that brings up Intermittent fasting which is a whole other can of worms. But I'm sure they wouldn't be stuffing themselves with veggies the day they finally get some awesome meat. So it probably evened out.

But nuts and seeds have lots of fat too (along with protein) and I'm guessing they didn't have to to and kill an almond or a sunflower.

So what? We can have a more balanced diet day-to-day now. I'm not trying to be a caveman. I really like my smart phone, internets, shampoo and fancy shoes. I just try to do best by my local economy and farmers, eat the food that seems to be making me feel better, and stay away from grains, especially wheat, that have been genetically modified yet NEVER tested on humans to make sure we could still correctly process the "new and improved" wheat.

Grass fed beef is still farmed.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Okay, yeah maybe a little. But when people make silly statements like "eating grains will give you leaky gut syndrome" it's really hard not to.
  • Drunkadelic
    Options

But it's actually allowed to roam freely instead of being stuck in a cage with no exercise. Educate yourself.
  • Drunkadelic
    Options

I am no longer responding to you because you are conversating in an ignorant way.

Amen to that!
  • bcattoes
    Options

But it's actually allowed to roam freely instead of being stuck in a cage with no exercise. Educate yourself.

I'm not the one that said farmed beef was fed grain. I was just educating everyone that grass fed beef is also farmed. And, unless you know the farmer and see how the cattle was raised, everyone should educate themselves on what the "grass fed" label means.
  • Drunkadelic
    Options
    But to the original poster, if you do decide to go either paleo or primal, look what we get to deal with on a daily basis! So it's good to do some of the research on your own so you have a good foundation to base your decision off of. I'm currently reading "Wheat Belly" right now and I highly recommend it. The author is a heart surgeon who got tired of fixing a problem and wanted to find the source of most heart issues. He made some staggering (and somewhat scary at times) discoveries about wheat.

If you want to learn more, I suggest starting with marksdailyapple.com and robbwolf.com to see if it is something that might interest you. Also, you can watch the documentary "Fat Head" on hulu for free. Watching that is what opened my eyes and made me want to start doing some independent research. So I can sleep easy at night knowing that I'm living my life in the way that is the most healthy according to the latest, most trust-worthy research.
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I feel that a balance is necessary. There should be no argument that processed food isnt bad for you. That is an obvious statement. I think diets are a guide that we should mold into our lifestyle and not make it so rigid. I decided to go low carb not even 2 weeks ago. And i feel amazing!!! You do sleep better, you do stay full longer, and most importantly, i think twice before i put processed food in my mouth! Now my back story is that i am a carb loving junk food craving mama, lol, therefore, my goal is not to never taste a mcdonald fry or a piece of candy again, its to eat whole on a daily basis, identify junk food, and put it in its place!! too many americans base their daily diet around junk (bread, rice, boxed foods, candy, fast food) and eat whole foods occasionally. this isnt right and it should change, we should change. Now i am a simplistic person, i am reading low carb books and such, but i have not divulged into dont eat this meat or that one, i just go to my grocery store and pick the healthiest option. Sometimes we stress the little details when the object is a healthy lifestyle and the Paleo Diet is a health lifestyle its just the perfect version of it. So i suggest fitting into YOUR life and making low carb work for you. No matter what the argument is you have to know that processed food is not the best thing...oh yeah and i broke my plateau...and within the 2 weeks i had a little bite of sweettarts, lol.
  • Grokette
    Options

Okay, yeah maybe a little. But when people make silly statements like "eating grains will give you leaky gut syndrome" it's really hard not to.

It is not a silly statement and it is very real.............When a person eat grains, especially "whole grains" it causes perforations and tears in the stomach, intestines, colon, etc and causes leaky gut syndrome.

Stop trolling and do some reading and research. Are you afraid to be proven wrong? Don't start an argument saying silly things - it is ignorant.
    What is Leaky Gut Syndrome? Many of my clients ask what leaky gut is and how so many different symptoms can be associated with it. The answer to these questions is both simple and complex. The simple part of the answer is that the cells of the small intestine that normally allow the small nutrient molecules of digested food (the amino acids, glucose, and fatty acids) to pass between them and enter the blood stream become damaged. This creates a more permeable or 'leaky' intestinal wall and larger, undigested food molecules, toxins, bacteria and other substances are able to pass through these 'leaks' in the intestinal lining and enter the blood. Because these substances do not belong in the blood, our immune system creates antibodies against them and they are carried to the liver where they are metabolized. If the 'leaks' in the intestinal wall are not healed or become larger, over time the continual barrage of these unwanted substances overworks our immune system, overburdens our liver, and stresses the many and varied systems in our body.

Now for the complex part. We are all biochemically unique and things like genetics, our medical history, our lifestyle and eating habits, and our overall state of health can make some systems and organs in our body weaker than others. And so, while you and your friend may both have a leaky gut, it's very possible-- and even likely-- that you will experience different leaky gut symptoms.
    Below are just some of the conditions and symptoms that have been associated with Leaky Gut Syndrome:

abdominal pain • aggression • allergies • alopecia • anxiety • arthritis • asthma • attention deficit disorder (ADD) • bed-wetting • bladder infections • bloating • brain fog • carbohydrate intolerance • chronic fatigue syndrome • chronic pain (abdominal, joint, muscle) • colitis • confusion • constipation • cramps • Crohn’s Disease• diabetes • diarrhea • eczema • fatigue • fevers • food sensitivities • fuzzy thinking • gas • headaches • indigestion • inflammation • irritability •Irritable Bowel Disease • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) • Lupus • memory problems • migraines • mood swings • multiple sclerosis • nervousness • nutrient deficiencies • psoriasis • poor immunity • rheumatoid arthritis • scleroderma • skin rashes
  • Grokette
    Options

I'm not the one that said farmed beef was fed grain. I was just educating everyone that grass fed beef is also farmed. And, unless you know the farmer and see how the cattle was raised, everyone should educate themselves on what the "grass fed" label means.

When someone says "farmed" everyone knows that they are referring to factory farmed meats. When referring to grass fed and grass finished, it is commonly known as pastured beef.

Please stop cherry picking just to start an argument. It is getting tired and old.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet has it flaws, but it's an improvement over what the average American eats....which is a lot of garbage. I think what the paleo diet teaches is that one should try to eat real foods instead of packaged, processed junk. It's a good starting point for someone who feels as if some guidance is in order. However, once you get into the groove of things, it is ALWAYS better to tailor your eating plan to your unique, individual body's metab.

I eat at what Mark Sisson calls the insidious weight gain level of starchy carbs, but I've yet to experience that type of weight gain. In fact, I find that I have more energy for my workouts and daily life when eating a moderate amount of carbs. Not everyone has the genetic gifts to do wind sprints like Sisson while not eating any grains.

So yea, eating natural unprocessed foods is better for you than hamburger helper and a cola. But I don't think that necessitates the elimination of whole grains. After all, Paleo-man DID eat grains too. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    Options

It is not a silly statement and it is very real.............When a person eat grains, especially "whole grains" it causes perforations and tears in the stomach, intestines, colon, etc and causes leaky gut syndrome.

Stop trolling and do some reading and research. Are you afraid to be proven wrong? Don't start an argument saying silly things - it is ignorant.
    What is Leaky Gut Syndrome? Many of my clients ask what leaky gut is and how so many different symptoms can be associated with it. The answer to these questions is both simple and complex. The simple part of the answer is that the cells of the small intestine that normally allow the small nutrient molecules of digested food (the amino acids, glucose, and fatty acids) to pass between them and enter the blood stream become damaged. This creates a more permeable or 'leaky' intestinal wall and larger, undigested food molecules, toxins, bacteria and other substances are able to pass through these 'leaks' in the intestinal lining and enter the blood. Because these substances do not belong in the blood, our immune system creates antibodies against them and they are carried to the liver where they are metabolized. If the 'leaks' in the intestinal wall are not healed or become larger, over time the continual barrage of these unwanted substances overworks our immune system, overburdens our liver, and stresses the many and varied systems in our body.

Now for the complex part. We are all biochemically unique and things like genetics, our medical history, our lifestyle and eating habits, and our overall state of health can make some systems and organs in our body weaker than others. And so, while you and your friend may both have a leaky gut, it's very possible-- and even likely-- that you will experience different leaky gut symptoms.
    Below are just some of the conditions and symptoms that have been associated with Leaky Gut Syndrome:

abdominal pain • aggression • allergies • alopecia • anxiety • arthritis • asthma • attention deficit disorder (ADD) • bed-wetting • bladder infections • bloating • brain fog • carbohydrate intolerance • chronic fatigue syndrome • chronic pain (abdominal, joint, muscle) • colitis • confusion • constipation • cramps • Crohn’s Disease• diabetes • diarrhea • eczema • fatigue • fevers • food sensitivities • fuzzy thinking • gas • headaches • indigestion • inflammation • irritability •Irritable Bowel Disease • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) • Lupus • memory problems • migraines • mood swings • multiple sclerosis • nervousness • nutrient deficiencies • psoriasis • poor immunity • rheumatoid arthritis • scleroderma • skin rashes

Surely you can see how ridiculous this sounds to anyone that, like me, eats grains and does NOT have holes in their gut. I know the research on grains. And it comes from medical studies, doctors and scientists, not a book or web blog.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    BCatt, we've had our differences, but I must tell you... there is no use arguing with people who have bought into the 'science' of certain fringe internet groups. I admire your consistency though... :smile:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    BCatt, we've had our differences, but I must tell you... there is no use arguing with people who have bought into the 'science' of certain fringe internet groups. I admire your consistency though... :smile:

I know I'm wasting my time, but honestly all this week I've been working on a project that requires data runs that take hours to run so I find myself totally bored. Plus, someone's got to stand up for the poor defenseless grains of the world.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of this debate is all the references to web sites to prove the various points. Because everything you read on the web is true!

One of my friends recently started college and I had to explain to her that Wikipeida is not a source when writing a paper. She really thought it was.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I could go to Wikipedia now and edit an article to say something completely ridiculous and untrue. And unless someone was specifically moderating that page right after me, it would hang out there until it was discovered.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Wow, I swear, extremists on both ends of a spectrum complicate things way too much. All paths in life are not a one way, single lane highway. To each their own. People need to stop acting like "Method A" is always better than "Method B" and getting so cut-throat about their lifestyle choices being pushed onto others. Just chillax people! You'll end up much happier :bigsmile:

I do have to say, it's made my afternoon reading entertaining :laugh:

And WTH is "leaky gut syndrome?" Not knocking whatever the heck is is, but that doesn't sound like it actual medical term for a diagnosis of anything.
  • Grokette
    Options

Surely you can see how ridiculous this sounds to anyone that, like me, eats grains and does NOT have holes in their gut. I know the research on grains. And it comes from medical studies, doctors and scientists, not a book or web blog.

You don't know that. If you experience any of the above mentioned symptoms, chances are you are suffering from leaky gut syndrome.

The information I posted did come from a blog, however this same information is in a pamphlet given to me by my doctor.

Here is another Doctor speaking on LGS.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/leaky_gut.html