Saving Calories?

Does anybody save any unused calories for a treat at the end of the week.

I have 400 leftover from the last 3 days so could I "bank" this and have some ice cream for instance?

Anybody done this?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've done this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Yes. It’s the deficit you create over time that matters. I often bank calories through the week for more indulgent weekends. If you use the app you can look at your goal weekly rather Than daily
  • Winogelato, i didn't know there was a weekly view. How do i access this please?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Winogelato, i didn't know there was a weekly view. How do i access this please?

On the iOS App, at the bottom of the Diary page, there is a button called Nutrition. If you click that you can select weekly view of net or total cals. I look at mine Monday to Sunday but I think it defaults to a rolling 7 days.
  • I see that now, thanks!😁
  • janetm67
    janetm67 Posts: 6 Member
    Just an additional comment... MFP won't let you "save calories" in a day if your calories are 1200 per day and you go below that (trust me I've tried)-it gives you a nasty message that this isn't healthy, etc. There has been many a day where I have been 10 or 20 less than 1200 and wind up just adding those in to complete the day. Also just as someone who is an inveterate sweet tooth I recently tried the Ben and Jerry's Moophorbia line of light ice creams and they are GOOD and tough to tell the difference between the full fat version of the mint ice creams.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,301 Member
    janetm67 wrote: »
    Just an additional comment... MFP won't let you "save calories" in a day if your calories are 1200 per day and you go below that (trust me I've tried)-it gives you a nasty message that this isn't healthy, etc. There has been many a day where I have been 10 or 20 less than 1200 and wind up just adding those in to complete the day. Also just as someone who is an inveterate sweet tooth I recently tried the Ben and Jerry's Moophorbia line of light ice creams and they are GOOD and tough to tell the difference between the full fat version of the mint ice creams.

This is a little off the topic, but you don't have to "complete the day." I haven't completed the day in years. It doesn't affect your goals or your Reports, and that message about "In 7 weeks you will have lost" is always ridiculously wrong anyway. If that message about under-eating bothers you, don't click "complete the day."

Just as a little aside, though...eating that low is not a good thing unless you're a toddler. In which case I'm guessing someone typed that for you...
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Pizza Friday!
  • AbigailCaulton
    AbigailCaulton Posts: 27 Member
    I save loads and have a cheeky monthly takeaway with the family :smile:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Sure -- when I was losing I had a weekly maintenance day most weeks and ate a bit less on other days to allow for that without changing my loss rate.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I did this just this week, in fact. I knew that I was going to a baby shower out of town on Saturday and then would be eating out after that, and would have no real idea of what was going to be served at the shower, so I banked my exercise calories in the days leading up to Saturday so I'd have a little extra room for the treats on Saturday. I kept myself to moderation, avoided the sweets, but otherwise, let myself enjoy myself more than I could have otherwise (meaning I was able to have 2 biscuits at Cracker Barrel and 2 cups of fruit at the baby shower lol).

I was also banking exercise calories because I was going to a concert on Thursday evening and decided I wanted a calzone from a local pizza place for dinner. I banked much of my calories throughout the day, and then added a few more in from other days to make up the difference.