Meals that don't need refridgeration?

Options
I have 8 hour days at school, and a break to eat lunch/snack in the middle of it. I'm a commuter to school, so I can only keep food in my bag all day. Lately, I've been eating lunchables, which are delicious, but the sodium content is killing me! I've been trying to get away from sandwiches, but it seems like they're my only option. Does anyone have any ideas/recipes for foods that don't need refridgerating/microwaving? Something I can throw into a paper bag, put into my backpack, and be on my merry way? Something quiet would be appreciated, too. [Carrots are too crunchy, everyone stares at me eating in the library =X haha]

Replies

• miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    How about turkey wraps?
  • cfrock
    Options
    pitas are pretty nice too.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I put a "blue ice" refreezable ice pack in my nylon lunch bag and take salads to work. It keeps them cold enough for a few hours until lunch time. I think I found it in the camping gear section of Target.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Make sanwiches with the sandwich thins.. Wraps are another good thing! Have you thought about just getting lunch bags and an ice pack? you can freeze yogurt and it will thaw to eating tempereature by lunch time. You can also snack on edamame too.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same!!! I pack an apple with a JIF to go, or PB and B sandwich, or just cut up fruit with yogurt! :)
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to pack quite a lunch to bring to work (before I had a baby and got the OK to have a fridge in my cube for keeping my pumped milk!) and I found a couple little ice packs and a frozen bottle of water worked REALLY well to keep things chilled until lunchtime and even for afternoon snacks. I was doing low carb a lot back then and had a lot of perishables and never had an issue. And there are some really awesome lunchboxes out these days. back then I had to hunt and ONLY during the summer could I find anything cool that was big enough.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't forget meal powder replacement shakes and canned items like soup etc.
  • Cokamo
    Options
    What about a thermos? You can put a number of foods in there for great variety.
  • Visser1971
    Options
    Howdy, I make salads with chicken chunks I bake myself then freeze them in little bags (100 grams each) - if you put the frozen chicken in the container when you leave, it should be thawed out by lunchtime and keep the rest of the salad chilled.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Nuts(unsalted!) and dried fruit keep very well. Maybe not as your entire lunch, but as part of it.
  • transylvaniaxx
    Options
    Anyone have any low cal recipes for wraps? =]
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    I used to pack quite a lunch to bring to work (before I had a baby and got the OK to have a fridge in my cube for keeping my pumped milk!) and I found a couple little ice packs and a frozen bottle of water worked REALLY well to keep things chilled until lunchtime and even for afternoon snacks. I was doing low carb a lot back then and had a lot of perishables and never had an issue. And there are some really awesome lunchboxes out these days. back then I had to hunt and ONLY during the summer could I find anything cool that was big enough.

i snuck a mini fridge into my office. Shoved it under my desk. It is currently stocked with mini baby bel, laughing cow, yoplait, and weight watchers cream cheese cups :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    Options
    Anyone have any low cal recipes for wraps? =]

Wraps are excellent. My issue is the $%^& salt in lunchmeat.

Get one of the flatout wraps, those hold up well. I spread some hummus on mine to help everything stick. Few slices of turkey, some salsa (or diced tomato or cucumber) a sprinkle of cheese and a leaf or two of lettuce if I have it. Roll it up and away you go.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I like cold pasta salads - add in veggies, etc and it'll be great.

Wrap ideas:

Pita or wrap in plastic
    cucumbers, feta cheese, tomato, vinegar, olive oil in small container

put #2 in #1 for lunch

pita or wrap in plastic
    chicken chunks (cooked), black beans, corn, tomatoes in small container

put #2 in #1 for lunch

really, it's whatever you like, just don't mix the bread and stuffing until ready to eat!