Need help having a good starting mindset

Options
Maybe someone can relate and offer insight. Just starting out trying to lose weight and am struggling with discouragement already. I'm facing reality, I'm in the obese range. I weigh so much more than I thought I did and I want to have lost the weight yesterday. What mentality do you have to face this huge uphill battle that feels like it's going to be so slow going? There's been zero progress made (it's been 6 days) so far so there's nothing to go on other than hope.

What do you do when you have these kind of thoughts -- I'm too old, there's something wrong with me, what if I can't lose weight, what if there's something medically wrong that I can't figure out, what if I just don't have what it takes etc?

Replies

• ItsJordanNicole
    ItsJordanNicole Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Hi! I am in a similar position. I have been on a successful weightloss journey before and this time I am struggling to get motivated. I think the best advice is to just start. Start walking, start making better choices one meal at a time. Weightloss may be slow, but slow progress is still progress.
  • fergyellie
    fergyellie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m in a similar position. Got to goal after taking five years to lose 9stone 11lbs only to go back to my old habits as I couldn’t maintain. Need to now lose the 5 and a half stone I’ve regained and struggling to get my head in the game x
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    pink_mint wrote: »
    What mentality do you have to face this huge uphill battle

I think you phrased it very well "starting mindset," for me my mindset has evolved and changed and I think it is health, I seem to have become more informed and clear on what is going on with me.

One guy here, and very prolific blogger @Seanaanderson has taken on the "recovery" mindset. I haven't dived into that but it makes a lot of sense. For instance, think about your next meal and stick with your plan. Just one meal at a time, just one day at a time. Start out in the right now, and just take it second by second. Make your very next choice a good one.

To start, that might help you build a sense of accomplishment, and get the stickin' thinkin' to recede a little. Glad you are here.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I think the best advice is to just start. Start walking, start making better choices one meal at a time. Weightloss may be slow, but slow progress is still progress.

You took a lot longer than six days to put it on, it will take time to take it off. Have you started weighing/logging everything? Amazing how far out estimation can be.

The scales can be brutal, and when they are then maybe you can find victories elsewhere, "this week I have walked everyday" "I wanted a treat and have had a piece of chocolate and not destroyed the rest of the bar" "I prepacked lunch this week, so I did not eat out as much"

All of the above are victories and are progress to a healthier you.

You will get there!

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone can relate and offer insight. Just starting out trying to lose weight and am struggling with discouragement already. I'm facing reality, I'm in the obese range. I weigh so much more than I thought I did and I want to have lost the weight yesterday. What mentality do you have to face this huge uphill battle that feels like it's going to be so slow going? There's been zero progress made (it's been 6 days) so far so there's nothing to go on other than hope.

What do you do when you have these kind of thoughts -- I'm too old, there's something wrong with me, what if I can't lose weight, what if there's something medically wrong that I can't figure out, what if I just don't have what it takes etc?

These "Most Helpful" posts might be useful for you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1

:drinker:
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I'll read those links.

Been tracking my intake and doing bodyweight strength training exercises. The food part of it is much harder than the exercise, imo.

I had a brutally honest week where I tracked my intake before I changed my eating habits and let's just say... it's not surprising I gained so much weight.

Being honest with yourself is so hard but important. I'm tracking and it's hard to get used to eating less but trying feel good about the positive changes even though the scale still showing a number I really don't want to see.
  • danielleilsos3377
    danielleilsos3377 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I was almost 300 pounds 2 years ago i know all to well what ur talking about. I went to culinary school and it changed my life. Im trying to spread what i learned so itll help other ppl. Hmu with any question. I can now run a full mile without stopping. It was a long struggle but dont think about that its all about meeting daily goals only think about this week. When u workout and diet ur weight will go up an down so much. Be as truthful on ur diary as u can.