Low Calorie, Fueling Snacks for a Sensitive Gut

Options
mytyglotz
mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
edited February 2020 in Recipes
Hello, Pals!!

I will be beginning a new job next week, and the hours I work are right around the time I usually eat. I have unintentionally practiced intermittent fasting for over a year now, and I like this way of eating and wish to make it work as my routine changes with this new job. That means I will not be taking a lunch break, but eating when I get home instead.

I am looking for some simple snack ideas that are low in calories yet satiating that I can have on hand with me at work in case I feel like I need a boost. I need options that will not put too much of a dent in my daily calorie allowance (as I plan to eat my large meal when I get home).

I know this seems kind of restrictive, but the reality is that I have several food sensitivities that I need to be mindful about. I am sorry for the following long-winded list, but I feel it's important to mention the foods I do not include in my diet because a lot of common snack items include those foods -- so I am struggling to think of low-calorie alternatives!!
My Food Sensitivities:
dairy (except for greek yogurt and cottage cheese in small portions)
nuts and seeds (except for the daily 2 tablespoons of seeds I have recently incorporated into my diet as I am experimenting with "seed cycling" - something I am debating posting about in another forum, because I have many questions about that!!)
soy
legumes, beans (except for occasional lupini beans, again in small portions)
grains (wheat, corn, rice, oats - all grains and flours)
oils - unless it is a scant amount from the spray-oils

So far, the only ideas I can think of are a small container of greek yogurt (not past 120 calories), bone broth, a meat bar (like the ones by Epic or Chomps), or a fruit like an apple, or vegetables like celery and carrots - but I thought it might be wiser to focus on something with protein and maybe only a bit of healthy fats, as that might be more satiating and energizing. (I also would appreciate your thoughts on that - what kinds of snacks have more "bang for the calorie".) I just want to make sure that if I do reach for a snack, it's not going to call for much caloric adjustment to my meal.

Again, I am so sorry to type so much. I have been struggling with organizing this post - trying to be as concise as possible while including the details I think are important.

Thank you all so much for your time and support. I have said it before, but I must say it again: This community is a blessing to me.

Replies

• TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have food sensitivities, as well, but mine include fiber like in vegetables. Makes things tough! :( For your mid-day snack, what about hard-boiled eggs? A banana? Avocado? The last two may not be as low in calories as you'd like, but I've found them to have pretty good satiety.

Good luck! I hope you get some great ideas!
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    TickleAnn wrote: »
    I have food sensitivities, as well, but mine include fiber like in vegetables. Makes things tough! :( For your mid-day snack, what about hard-boiled eggs? A banana? Avocado? The last two may not be as low in calories as you'd like, but I've found them to have pretty good satiety.

Good luck! I hope you get some great ideas!

Thank you so much for replying! I am sorry to hear you suffer some sensitivities, too. I am glad you found the culprit of the irritation, however!!
    Thank you for sharing your ideas, too. I would need to opt out on the banana and avocado (those are two more foods that I avoid due to adverse reactions, but I was kind of embarrassed to make the list even longer, so I skipped over them). Hard-boiled eggs I would consider - just the whites though!

Thank you, again. I know it seems like a silly question and I could find all kinds of ideas on the internet, but I really value tried-and-approved ideas from you all here.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I find protein and fats filling. How about tuna salad (bring some in a container to work), or even those “tuna sensations” packets? They’re between 60 and 100 calories, have a lot of protein, and come in lots of fun flavors.

Apart from that, I would go with turkey jerky or vegetables with a lot of fiber, dipped in a Greek yogurt dip. (I love Greek-yogurt-tzatziki or yogurt mixed with ranch seasoning).
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Also, you could try some protein bars. Some brands have 20 g of protein for just 180-200 calories, so that could keep you going for quite a while. I like the Pure Protein bars or Optimum Nutrition whipped protein bites. Fun flavors and taste WAY better than Quest bars.
  • amandamarie14
    amandamarie14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have IBS so I am very easy on my stomach with foods. One thing I am addicted to now is making overnight oats and eating them in place of a meal or a midday snack. They are very easy to make and you can add different spices or toppings to make it your own. This is what I do: The night before I eat them I make them and leave them overnight in the fridge.
    Recipe: 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (I use organic whole grain)
    1/4 cup of milk (any type you like)
    1/4 cup of Greek non-fat yogurt
    I add toppings like strawberries, ground flax seed, mini chocolate chips, cinnamon, etc.

It is very satiating because it is high in protein and whole grains. I also look forward to it, almost like a little dessert that is guilt free!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Food intolerances are difficult personal things to cope with. I wonder if you have saught medical help towards reducing them. There are some conditions which predispose some to food issues. I know there are so many differnt catagries food intolerances can fall into, histamine, oxalates, salicylates are three. IBS can be salicylate related. I know it hard to find your personal key in to these situations because no one has exactly the same reactions to anything. I did use dao to ease my histamine issues till it was withdrawn. Now I work to a higher b6 and vit c level because they are precursors to the Dao Histamine enzyme, there is a second enzyme but that is more difficult to promote. I think salicylate and oxalate intolerances can be eased by improving their elimination pathways, I found different enzymes which helped this too. These are some thought I hope can help someone. There was a book, its an e-book, "Food can Make you ill", by Sharla Race. I found it very helpful, I hope it is still available. Best wishes.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    How about lunch meat rolled up in lettuce leaves? That will give you protein which might keep your satiated longer. I'd say oatmeal, but you're allergic to oats, so that's out (LOVE them myself!). A fruit cup/salad? Salad with tuna or shrimp or chicken (again for the protein)? A cold piece of leftover meat from dinner the night before? (I LOVE cold chicken or steak the next day!) I'd suggest pasta, but again, your sensitivities wouldn't like that.

@gallicinvasion I never thought to try ranch seasoning mixed with yogurt! Going to give that a try, I LOVES me my ranch dressing but it's just too high in fat! Thanks for a great suggestion!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    One of my new favorites to eat is a slice of winter squash with yogurt. Last night I had kabocha squash with Greek yogurt and pumpkin spice, butternut squash is my favorite. I also like to cook apple and add it to yogurt with cinnamon on top. Popcorn with garlic powder and paprika is really good for a snack but no protein. A wrap with chicken, lettuce, salsa, and whatever crunchy vegetables you can eat is really good. I put red pepper and cucumber in mine. A potato or sweet potato with chili is great too.