Small but Meaningful Success

I've struggled with being overweight my entire life and this past year hit my highest weight (250lbs/5'8"). I have a lot of anxiety and mental health issues so have always used food to cope. I've developed a binging disorder and due to moodswings that lead to impulsive eating, I have always had a hard time starting/sticking to any diets repeatedly.

Just a little while ago I had basically given up on myself. I was even suicidal due to mental health problems, but I've decided to make changes. Along with getting help/therapy I've decided I have to do something, so I'm cracking down on my physical health and weight. I have always wanted to change how I look, and while my mental health is hard to grapple with, really starting with my physical health is a way to prove to myself I have strength and willpower and give myself confidence in a tangible and quantifiable way.

The difference now is that I feel like I am actually determined, and my determination is only growing. This feels like a challenge but for the first time in my life this doesn't seem overwhelming and almost impossible. I actually have confidence I can DO this for the first time, like an actual solid confidence, and that is a HUGE milestone for me.

For the past seven days I've managed to stick with a 1,000 cal deficit and exercise almost every day for about 45 minutes. I am eating healthy food groups/low carb and rounding out my exercise routines. Including some exercise before this week I've come down almost 10lbs already. I am feeling physically better than I have in a long time, my hunger isn't unmanageable, and I'm already starting to fall into a routine. I'm also getting into my body and feeling more present, which has helped to pull me away from the feelings that were leading to suicidal tendencies. It is really helping me cope. I feel like I can keep this up. My goal is to lose 110lbs (get down to 140) by next year because I want to cosplay for a convention and look great while doing it. It is a steep goal but I think I can handle it.

Being able to get started with this and feel confident about it means a lot to me, because treating my body well is more than just about physical looks and health for me.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    10lb loss is a really good start. Well done too, coming to the decision to seek help you need and for taking control. I'm pleased you are feeling so much better. Most of us find when we treat our bodies as they would like to be treated so much more comes into perspective. I like it that you know where you would like to be by next year. I found as I got closer to my goal the weight has not come off as I might have liked. I've taken rest times as in maintenance. I've had times too when its been really difficult, I found my answere to that was to get back into the routine as best I could, sometimes it meant reentering my numbers into the guided set up for a lesser weight loss target. As you progress you may choose to reasses your goal. You are 4 inches taller than myself and 140 is my goal. Take care, always, do what is right for you.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    It sounds like you're starting this journey with a whole new and able mindset!! Keep that up and you will achieve your goals. :) Take your time, treat yourself well and with kindness, accept you'll have good days and bad along the way but as long as you hop right back on the wagon after faltering, you'll do great!! MFP has been a godsend for me in many ways. Every time the technical aspects of the site take a hit, I start to feel panic. :blush: I count on it now *that* much.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have a group here on MFP for people who originally started or are just now starting with 75 or more pounds to lose. It is specifically for people who are ready to lose their weight in a sensible and sustainable fashion. I have been very fortunate somehow to have attracted a truly great group of people so far. While no one can understand everything another person goes through or has gone through people with a fair amount of weight to lose will have things in common with others in the same boat.

If you would like to join here is the link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Kudos to you! I so relate to your story. I know it’s controversial and doesn’t have a lot of evidence to support it, but I read about a low carb diet being good for mental health (reducing inflammation in the brain), and it does make me feel soooo much better when I reduce carbs and processed sugars. Way to take care of yourself!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!