How much time do you spend strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    OP with the greatest of respect, this isn’t a great question. We all have different goals and are at different stages. My sessions are 5 a week and I have split up the volume over 5 days specifically so I can get them done in about an hour because I don’t want to spend longer than that in the gym 5 x hourly sessions a week might not be needed or appropriate for you.

I’m an intermediate trainee. My needs around training are different now than when I started out and they will change again at some point as I advance.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Depends on my time allowance but between 45-90 minutes
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    A normal training session for me is in the ballpark of 1.5hrs (a little more or a little less depending on what I'm training and where in my mesocycle I am). But I'm going to bet we have drastically different goals & training histories.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I do the Express Circuit at the gym every other day. It's a 40 minute circuit with intervals cardio and the various strength machines.
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Weights 4 days a week, upper body lower body split. Focus on compound lifts. It takes about 1.5-2 hours, mostly because I enjoy longer breaks between sets.

Jiu Jitsu 3-4 days a week, which is for sure strength training. 10 min slow sparing/rolling 1 hour instruction, drilling followed by 25-30 min hard sparing.

Cardio 3-4 days a week, but usually only 1 or 2 hard days. For about 35-45 min
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Measuring strength training in wall time is pretty difficult to get anything consistent.

In theory, I spent 90 min a week strength training (15 min 6x/week) - if all of my lifts are at tempo and all of my rests are 5 seconds.

In reality, those latter sets/reps of any given exercise are close to failure and my rests get longer and my tempo gets slower as I sacrifice time in the name of maintaining form.

It's the same amount of lifting, and therefore the same muscle growth, 15 min or 30 min, it doesn't matter the work is the same. Work is not really consistently applicable to wall time.

If you are strength training to grow muscle, then inches are likely to go up if you are measuring a muscle you are working. If you are looking to lose fat and grow muscle, then calipers might be more helpful than a tape measure, so you can measure fat without including the muscle in the measurement.

Losing fat is something that happens in the kitchen, not the gym. You have to create a deficit by controlling food consumption.
  • InsanityFan1
    InsanityFan1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do body pump tone class 40 to 60 min 3x a week, then on those days i do additional weights on my own, 30 to 35 min. Rope slams, dead lifts, medicine ball stuff, pull ups, kettle ball, etc. I swim 3 to 5x a week varying that intensity and on non weight days i do insanity, spin, sprints, etc, vary it up. I am feeling good, its working for me. I basically do elliptical each day, 15 to 30 minutes for warm ups, cool downs, etc.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    I do about 20-45min on the treadmill every day (to get my steps) and then stronglifts 2 or 3 times a week (depending on my kids schedules).

The lifting sessions are anywhere from 45 min -1.5 hour and I add in some additional tricep, bicep, and ab work as time permits.

I'm very busy, so I do what I can to make time.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    When I was training for powerlifting, I would spend upwards of 2 hours just on squat day (but heavy squats alone were taking an hour).

Now, bench, shoulder, deadlift, and heavy leg day (no squats) usually about an hour (maybe more, maybe less) each day.