Hi there

Hi all,

I hope you are all good. I am looking for some advice please.

I am a Male, who is 28 Years Old
I currently weight around 8.4 Stone - 8.6 Stone (it fluctuates)
My height it 5 FT 6 inches.

My circumference measurements for my neck is 13 inches
My circumference for my waist is 30 inches.

I fit into 28 Waist size trousers.

Could anyone reccommend what I should do please? I am not sure whether I should be cutting or bulking? If so please could someone judge from my photos please? If not allowed the photos, I will take them down.

Thank you for this everyone :-)
wk19cpcxo4o0.jpg
fu3awjo5ogp9.jpg
urg51bnmsfqj.jpg
rybyknj5t8zy.jpg
s1wc8c5u5lmw.jpg
4o479iyultyr.jpg

I also cannot work out my current BMR or TDEE effectively. It roughly I think is around 1800-2000 calories for Maintenance. I work in a supermarket and on my feet roughly 4-6 hours a shift, everyday. I hit around 6000-7000 steps working a day.
I also walk my dogs 3 times a day, and that normal makes my step count over 10000-12000 a day.
I lift weights on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. These are not full body lifts, and I do these at home with dumbells and a barbell. I would say that they are low - moderate lifting as I don't seem to sweat etc.

I also do a HIIT workout once or twice a week normally following one from Youtube like Joe Wicks/Fitness Blender, but are random choices of mine.

Please could you guys advise on this as well please?

Also, I have read the Sugar and MFP post on here before. But to clarify; if I eat Fruit as in Pineapple, Banana, Raspberries, Blueberries, Melon, Strawberries etc and it says to me "You have eaten too much sugar for your goal" Should I ignore this as I don't have any diabetic problems or problems with sugar?

Apologies this is meaty, I have read the stickies, but would like some clarification from more people. Thanks again.

Replies

• Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 393 Member
    Hi all,

I hope you are all good. I am looking for some advice please.

I am a Male, who is 28 Years Old
    I currently weight around 8.4 Stone - 8.6 Stone (it fluctuates)
    My height it 5 FT 6 inches.

My circumference measurements for my neck is 13 inches
    My circumference for my waist is 30 inches.

I fit into 28 Waist size trousers.

Could anyone reccommend what I should do please? I am not sure whether I should be cutting or bulking? If so please could someone judge from my photos please? If not allowed the photos, I will take them down.

Thank you for this everyone :-)
    wk19cpcxo4o0.jpg
    fu3awjo5ogp9.jpg
    urg51bnmsfqj.jpg
    rybyknj5t8zy.jpg
    s1wc8c5u5lmw.jpg
    4o479iyultyr.jpg

I also cannot work out my current BMR or TDEE effectively. It roughly I think is around 1800-2000 calories for Maintenance. I work in a supermarket and on my feet roughly 4-6 hours a shift, everyday. I hit around 6000-7000 steps working a day.
    I also walk my dogs 3 times a day, and that normal makes my step count over 10000-12000 a day.
    I lift weights on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. These are not full body lifts, and I do these at home with dumbells and a barbell. I would say that they are low - moderate lifting as I don't seem to sweat etc.

I also do a HIIT workout once or twice a week normally following one from Youtube like Joe Wicks/Fitness Blender, but are random choices of mine.

Please could you guys advise on this as well please?

Also, I have read the Sugar and MFP post on here before. But to clarify; if I eat Fruit as in Pineapple, Banana, Raspberries, Blueberries, Melon, Strawberries etc and it says to me "You have eaten too much sugar for your goal" Should I ignore this as I don't have any diabetic problems or problems with sugar?

Apologies this is meaty, I have read the stickies, but would like some clarification from more people. Thanks again.

I would recommend going on a calorie surplus and a decent lifting program and build some muscle. Plenty of more knowledgable people on here who can help you too
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    I agree, I think you should also focus on building muscle now. I would put less emphasis on cardio for now, especially as you are on your feet a lot. You have some muscle mass on your arms but adding mass to your chest would change your whole look.
  • FossilFusion
    FossilFusion Posts: 39 Member
    Alright then guys thanks for the insight, a few people I have spoken to have also agreed I need to build some muscle. I was just suspicious as most places say get to 12% Bodyfat first, which I am clearly not really.

How many calories do you guys think I should be eating daily? Also, if I did cut more now I would probably look like a stick.
  • Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 393 Member
    Alright then guys thanks for the insight, a few people I have spoken to have also agreed I need to build some muscle. I was just suspicious as most places say get to 12% Bodyfat first, which I am clearly not really.

How many calories do you guys think I should be eating daily? Also, if I did cut more now I would probably look like a stick.

Use a tdee calculator online and add 200-300 calories on top of what it gives u and eat that daily and see how works to start with
  • FossilFusion
    I just used the Navy measurements calculator for Bodyfat, and it says I am at 15% bodyfat composition. So do I bulk or cut now? I am confused to what to do as I am getting mixed messages from members, and people outside of the forums.

Cut to 12% or bulk now to build muscle? (Unless you guys think different by looking at the pictures?)
    I don't think I can do both can I?

Please advise, sorry about so many questions!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Based on your pictures and stats, definitely gain. Bodyfat more comes into play when you are at a decent weight for your height. You are at the lower end so at that point looking at bodyfat percentage is not as relevant. Even recomp by maintaining you would need more base for it to work adequately.

Eat in a small surplus, lift, progress.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    I just used the Navy measurements calculator for Bodyfat, and it says I am at 15% bodyfat composition. So do I bulk or cut now? I am confused to what to do as I am getting mixed messages from members, and people outside of the forums.

Cut to 12% or bulk now to build muscle? (Unless you guys think different by looking at the pictures?)

Hey buddy, definitely bulk.

I suggest aiming to gain 1lb a week. You don't want to gain too fast and have it all be fat. As noted above, you can get an idea for your starting calories by using an online calculator to find your TDEE. Look for one that uses the Mifflin St. Jeor formula (or use the one in MFP which uses that formula), and then add a a few hundred calories to that amount.

Weigh yourself daily, at the same time. Once a week, average out the 7 days and compare those averages week to week to see if you're moving the in the right direction. Doing that will take into account the inevitable daily fluctuations. If you gained about a lb, you can stay where you are calorie-wise, or you can add/remove as needed.

I can't stress enough though that the deciding factor with regards to building muscle is going to be your resistance training. There are many types of programs you can follow but to keep it simple, I would just stick to something that involves linear progression and focuses on the main compound lifts.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited February 2020

The Navy Method isn't always accurate - it becomes problematic for heavily muscled individuals and also for very thin people. Your ribs stick out further than the line where you would be measuring for your waist and having a small diamter neck isn't going to help that ratio. Anyhow, I certainly think that based on your arm definition when flexed, vascularity, and how little subcutaenous fat you have around your ribs that you are under 15% body fat. You just don't have much lean mass. You need to bulk.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Just my opinion, a 120lb male at 5,6 needs to bulk, your broader line emaciated
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    I'll cast another vote for "gain."
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    "These are not full body lifts"

And sorry to say but it shows - your arms look trained but your trunk doesn't at all, you are missing out on a lot of muscle development potential.
    Gain weight slowly, seriously revamp your training.

Yes ignore the "sugar warning" unless you have some unstated medical condition that requires you to track what is just a subset of carbs,
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    I suggest gallon of milk a day diet and doing starting strength
  • moogie_fit wrote: »
    I suggest gallon of milk a day diet and doing starting strength

I wouldn’t. I don’t think rip’s recommendations on how to gain weight are particularly up to date or tailored to individual needs. OP if you want some decent up to date info on strength training and nutrition and how to set up your eating and lifting then I’d recommend muscle and strength training and nutrition pyramids by Eric helms. 2 books. Not cheap and quite a lot of info to take on. But worth every penny if you are serious about your physique.
  • FossilFusion
    Hi All,

thank you all for your input. I am happy you all helped me in some ways. At the moment this week I have been working out my maintenance calories and am going to do a bulk of probably 0.5 Pounds per week. I have updated my existing routine to aid some growth in muscle.

My diet wise; I am avoiding mostly processed foods, except my favourite cereal Shredded Wheats. The sugar in this isn't too high, but if it fits my macros it should be okay. It is all trial and error of course.

Thanks again :-)