Ladies! Add me if you are currently doing a mass phase! I need motivation!

Options
I've been in this lifestyle my entire adult life, but I've always been scared to death of eating in a surplus for muscle gains. With some research, lots of pep talks and "Listen to me, woman!" From my very knowledgeable husband (a bodybuilder and physical therapist) I'm finally doing my first deliberate mass phase. Well, it is more like body recomposition, since I am adding calories a turtle's pace and aiming to gain as little fat as possible.
So far, so good, I'm just here to find women with a similar goal so we can cheer each other on! And if you're vegan, that's a plus, I'd love to swap recipes. :)

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I’m doing my first bulk too. It’d be good to get a thread going on this.
  • Abs_magee89
    Abs_magee89 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I’m doing my first bulk too. It’d be good to get a thread going on this.
    Yes! It’s super encouraging to have that type of support. How far are you into it? This was my first week. Ended up losing a pound on 2200 calories so I’m going up by 100 cals this next week.

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I started by accident in November. I have stopped tracking intentionally. I’m trending up 1 to 2lb a month so I’m happy. I’m aiming for a gain of between 10 and 15 pounds in total.
    It’s going ok. Sometimes a mental struggle to see the scale go up but I’m getting used to it
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hi! Technically I am not in a surplus but am recomping (for now) but I plan to run a bulk in the fall if all goes well. It will be my fourth cycle.
  • Abs_magee89
    Options
    I started by accident in November. I have stopped tracking intentionally. I’m trending up 1 to 2lb a month so I’m happy. I’m aiming for a gain of between 10 and 15 pounds in total.
    It’s going ok. Sometimes a mental struggle to see the scale go up but I’m getting used to it

Haha I did that too! I put on about 3 lbs out of nowhere eating at maintenance, took my body fat and found out I had put on a bit of muscle. So I decided it's time! Funny how that happened to you too. lol
  • Abs_magee89
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hi! Technically I am not in a surplus but am recomping (for now) but I plan to run a bulk in the fall if all goes well. It will be my fourth cycle.

Yes, I believe what I'm doing is also more of a recomp. You look amazing!
  • sardelsa
    Options

Thanks so do you!

That was before my third baby.. hopefully I can get back there soon.
  • Abs_magee89
    Options

Thanks so do you!

Damn girl! I only have my little girl. She's 7. People like to try to try to psych me out. "Sure, you can bounce back after one, but not two, three, or twelve." lol. I know it isn't true if you know how to work, but it doesn't make it any less inspiring to see mom's of multiple children with insane bodies.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Thanks so do you!

Damn girl! I only have my little girl. She's 7. People like to try to try to psych me out. "Sure, you can bounce back after one, but not two, three, or twelve." lol. I know it isn't true if you know how to work, but it doesn't make it any less inspiring to see mom's of multiple children with insane bodies.

Haha I had 6 kids and never had a problem bouncing back... I'm currently cutting from an unintentional bulk/lazy times.
  • Abs_magee89
    Options

Thanks so do you!

Haha I had 6 kids and never had a problem bouncing back... I'm currently cutting from an unintentional bulk/lazy times.

That is awesome! You definitely have a ton of muscle! I just want the booty I had before pregnancy ate it.
    What is the phenomenon where your butt gets flatter when you're pregnant? So weird.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a slight deficit while lifting right now, as I've got a bit of fat to lose. Starting a new program on Sunday. I will send you an add!
  • Abs_magee89
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I am eating at a slight deficit while lifting right now, as I've got a bit of fat to lose. Starting a new program on Sunday. I will send you an add!
    😎 what are you changing on Sunday?
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’m not bulking on purpose but finding my recomp has turned into putting on a couple of pounds a month since the start of the year, which I can live with as my lifts are getting heavier. I’m measuring the same around waist and hips so far which is why I’m not too bothered. Let us know how you get on!
  • Abs_magee89
    Options
    I’m not bulking on purpose but finding my recomp has turned into putting on a couple of pounds a month since the start of the year, which I can live with as my lifts are getting heavier. I’m measuring the same around waist and hips so far which is why I’m not too bothered. Let us know how you get on!
    My accidental bulk resulted in 2 weeks where I put on 1 pound of LBM and dropped 1% body fat. Now, as soon as I decide to be conscious of it, I’ve lost scale weight. I will be doing my body fat and measurements on Sunday. So we will see what’s happening. But I do notice that I am visibly leaner than last week. I’m thinking it was my menstrual playing tricks on me.
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you counting cals? It’s weird isn’t it?! I’m starting to track my measurements more often but trying to do without calorie counting as I can get a bit obsessive over it. Interested to hear your results for sunday.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Thanks so do you!

Pshhh don't listen to them! It can definitely be difficult to get back into it and make fitness a priority, but I take it step by step and just do my best.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    😎 what are you changing on Sunday?

I am going to start Stephanie Buttermore's beginner 4-day upper/lower 8 week program. I really enjoyed her full body 3-day beginner program.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’m so glad to find this thread. I don’t understand recomp at all.

I put on about eight pounds attending our daughter’s wedding in Germany. We were there most of December and our Airbnb was next door to an ah-mazing bakery.

All of the weight is back off now but I seem to have thinned out and muscles are very much more visible than they were even before we left.

So I’m guessing I did an accidental recomp.

I’m tired and run down. I’ve increased my calories from 2030 to 2300 for about a week now and oddly enough, find now I’m dropping weight again. It’s too early to tell for sure.

How does this whole process work? How often should I do weights? I do them twice a week right now but I also do a shite ton of mat classes (40+ a month), have started running again after a fall in early January sidelined me, and have added a backpack to my daily walks to prep for a walking tour. I’m sure I need to back off mat classes and cardio to add more weights, but I do love them.....
  • Abs_magee89
    Options
    I’m so glad to find this thread. I don’t understand recomp at all.

I put on about eight pounds attending our daughter’s wedding in Germany. We were there most of December and our Airbnb was next door to an ah-mazing bakery.

All of the weight is back off now but I seem to have thinned out and muscles are very much more visible than they were even before we left.

So I’m guessing I did an accidental recomp.

I’m tired and run down. I’ve increased my calories from 2030 to 2300 for about a week now and oddly enough, find now I’m dropping weight again. It’s too early to tell for sure.

How does this whole process work? How often should I do weights? I do them twice a week right now but I also do a shite ton of mat classes (40+ a month), have started running again after a fall in early January sidelined me, and have added a backpack to my daily walks to prep for a walking tour. I’m sure I need to back off mat classes and cardio to add more weights, but I do love them.....
    One thing I’ve learned is in order to put on more muscle I have to lay off cardio a bit. I also run. But I have switched to HIIT twice a week and 20-30 min slow jogs with my pup 5 days/week. I’m focusing on progressive overload, beating my lifts weekly. Nothing casual about gym day anymore! It’s nice to be excited about fitness again. It has been so boring just following a similar routine day in and day out.