Is Protein Powder Really Worth the Hype?

2»

Replies

• Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I use a scoop sometimes as I tend to not eat enough protein - its not my favoured way of eating, so it helps ...
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Don't see an issue with it but obviously getting your protein intake through whole foods is always the preferred option.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    For most of the general population its probably a waste of money. Human protein requirements are not that high anyway. Just eat food ffs.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    This video gives you some things to ponder when selecting protein powder (Bobby Parrish)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31t_6kOoB8&t=352s
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    We are all trying to comsume proper nutrients, feel full , and eat delicious stuff.

For some folks protein powders help with that others find them not to work for them. If you want try them and see if they help you meet your goals. Hype or anti hype is less key then do they help you achieve goals
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    IMO? It's over rated and over priced. I'd rather eat extra fish or chicken for the added protein. I bought a canister of it to make 1 specific thing and it still sits in my cupboard. :/ Is there a shelf life for opened protein powder? Does anyone want it? :) I suppose I could make smoothies from it but not a big smoothie person; again I prefer chewing food. I tried adding a little to certain foods and to me, the higher calories wasn't worth it.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 142 Member
    As a vegetarian I regularly use plant based protein powders to help me reach my macro goals. I could definitely hit the minimum protein requirements without it, but I am trying to build lean muscle.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I don't know about any hype. Personally I use it every day as I typically struggle to get my protein in. I make it a bit thicker with some yogurt and make it like a milkshake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    IMO? It's over rated and over priced. I'd rather eat extra fish or chicken for the added protein. I bought a canister of it to make 1 specific thing and it still sits in my cupboard. :/ Is there a shelf life for opened protein powder? Does anyone want it? :) I suppose I could make smoothies from it but not a big smoothie person; again I prefer chewing food. I tried adding a little to certain foods and to me, the higher calories wasn't worth it.

I understand preferring to chew and eat protein as that is also my preference, but there are times when I need to supplement. As price goes, if you actually take the price per gram of protein and the number of servings in a container, it's actually one of the cheapest sources of protein out there...but yeah, if you're not going to actually use it, it's costly...which could be said for anything.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I recommend Bowmar Nutrition. Even though heavy metals are not regulated by the FDA, they are very transparent in what is included in their protein (and all their products) and they are DELICIOUS. I'm a vegetarian AND trying to go low-carb (it's killing me!), I have probably one scoop per day either mixed in coffee or with plain Greek yogurt.

But, as others have pointed out, a protein supplement is just that - a supplement. Don't use it to replace "real" sources of protein all day every day. But if you need an extra 20-30 grams here and there, why not?
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    For me protein powder helps me to reach my protein goals on some days.

I make great tasting protein smoothies (not just water and protein powder) and I add powder to some of my foods such as oatmeal and I make homemade protein bars.