Increasing salt intake

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Do you like Thai food? Many recipes call for soy salt, fish sauce, AND oyster sauce - a veritable salt bomb. Try Pad Se Ew at a restaurant and if you like it (or Thai food in general) get this cookbook: https://smile.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Thai-Cuisine-Cookbooks/dp/4889960945/
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I was on a medication for a few years where I had to keep my salt intake up. I found that adding a sprinkle of salt to pretty much everything I cooked and ate worked well. Not so much that salt was the overwhelming flavor, just a bit. It added up through the day. Sometimes I still needed a boost to keep from getting sick, but overall I found a consistent little bit at a time more workable than less frequent amounts of saltier foods. I do confess to being a grazer—so “a little at a time” applies to my eating in general.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    When I was in a similar situation, my doctor advised adding a little salt to everything, like COgypsy says. I know what you mean about being sensitive to salty tastes, OP, but I did get used to it over time and really enjoy it now.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A nice salty 15 calorie broth I invented over the last week because I’ve been sick with a cold:
    2 cups of water, 1/2 tsp roasted garlic Better Than Boullion base, 1/2 tsp seasoned vegetable Better Than Boullion, 1 tsp dried minced onions. Simmer a bit, then sip. The boullion bases add a fair amount of sodium. It’s not too salty though, and I found it tasty and comforting when I had a sore throat.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have ever tried salt in your coffee but a pinch sprinkled right on the grounds when brewing makes so so coffee grounds taste like they are much better quality beans .
    Also most starches take a large amount of salt before tasting salty.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    With Intermittent fasting , the recommendation is to make and use SOLE using pink himilayan salt. you can google how to make and how to consume.

Pink Himalayian salt has no magical properties. It contains trace amounts of other minerals (you'd need to eat 1.7kg to get the recommended dose of potassium!), including radioactive ones. It contains a bit less sodium due to the other minerals in it.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I eat WAY too much sodium so maybe I can be of help, lol.

So easy, add some hot sauce or mustard to everything. I get 15k+ per day because I add mustard, hot sauce, banana peppers and pickles to everything.

1 pickle has around 800mg right there (depending on the brand)

Few tsp franks hot sauce gets you another few hundred per small tsp. (Put it on veggies, meat, everything!)

Same with mustard. Sooooo good to add on top of all meats, sandwiches, veggies and salads. Few hundred per tbsp.

Hidden sodium in the pudding I eat. I eat 1-3 whole boxes of sugar free jello pudding which has around 700mg per box (170 per serving depending on flavor) per day as well.

Lots of sweet bars have 200-500g sodium in them. Clif, luna, nugo dark chocolate pretzel, etc and are not particularly salty at all.

Salads with any salad dressing. Salad dressing has a ton of salt. Get a sweet dressing and it will still have a few hundred per tbsp.

• SallyH77
    SallyH77 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've taken to chicken broth and adding some salt to my food while its cooking. Ive also got a powdered electrolyte drink from the nutrition shop that has sodium in it as well which is helping.

This added 3kg to my weight over 2-3 days, which took about a week to start to move, :o freaking me out quite a bit! But I stuck with what I know I needed to do for my health and the extra weight has just now started to move, gain is now only about 800grams which im putting down to extra blood volume that I need.

Thanks again to all who so helpfully responded :)
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bread, crackers, cheese, peanut butter all have quite a high salt content.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some empty capsule shells and put salt in them and swallow like tablets if you don't want very salty tasting food?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    SallyH77 wrote: »
    I've taken to chicken broth and adding some salt to my food while its cooking. Ive also got a powdered electrolyte drink from the nutrition shop that has sodium in it as well which is helping.

This added 3kg to my weight over 2-3 days, which took about a week to start to move, :o freaking me out quite a bit! But I stuck with what I know I needed to do for my health and the extra weight has just now started to move, gain is now only about 800grams which im putting down to extra blood volume that I need.

Thanks again to all who so helpfully responded :)

That isn’t fat gain, that’s water gain. I make myself fried rice on Sundays so I can have an easy lunch Monday - Thursday. I “gain” about 2-3 pounds bc of this. But by Sunday it’s gone bc my body has released the water it was holding onto. Increase of salt, will increase your water weight but if you are keeping to your calorie deficit, it will not translate to gained fat.

Get an app that will let you see the trend of your weight (if you weight daily). I use Happy Scale, which is for iPhone users. I think Libra is the android phone version.
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Some deserts have massive quantities of salt. I think it was Jell-O instant vanilla pudding I tried. I weighed three pounds heavier the next day from the water retention caused by eating one of those guys (the whole sachet). Like a gram and a half of sodium and of course it doesn't taste salty.
    After I lost a lot of weight I would get orthostatic hypotension. I would have to hold onto things when I stood up. Horrible. Doctor cut out my BP meds but I was eating a lot of salt prior to seeing him to get rid of the terrible cramps.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    You've received some good suggestions for salty foods already. If you want to consider an electrolyte supplement that is very mild tasting, I've been using Precision Hydration 1000 or PH1500 in my water bottles while riding a bike or running in warm weather. A packet of PH1000 provides 500mg of sodium, plus calcium, potassium and magnesium. It is mild tasting, not too sweet. It can be bought online.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    neillc57 wrote: »
    Some deserts have massive quantities of salt. I think it was Jell-O instant vanilla pudding I tried. I weighed three pounds heavier the next day from the water retention caused by eating one of those guys (the whole sachet). Like a gram and a half of sodium and of course it doesn't taste salty.
    After I lost a lot of weight I would get orthostatic hypotension. I would have to hold onto things when I stood up. Horrible. Doctor cut out my BP meds but I was eating a lot of salt prior to seeing him to get rid of the terrible cramps.

I commented on the jello pudding. I eat 3 boxes a day sometimes lol. Was amazed how much sodium they have.