Anyone doing keto?

Options
I’ve been doing Keto for a few days. I want to know what to expect in the coming weeks and any good recipes...
thanks

Replies

• danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Nope! Never
  • darrenakathewolf
    Options
    i tried it last summer , yes i did lose weight and yes i messed up my gut bacteria , ended up with bad acid reflux and couldn't eat any fat as it gave me diarrhea
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    No, it's not for me. But 75% of people I know IRL are on it. My boyfriend just started. He had to piss on a stick to measure ketosis... My friend ended up getting what is referred to as the "keto flu". So she quit, but her sister ended up losing 30 pounds. Like any diet plan out there, its a hit or miss. Personally, I know it isn't for me, I am more into counting calories, and thats it. I am not against anyone trying it but as I told my BF, I remind them to be careful and research as much as you can especially on heart health due to the high fat content.

• longx519
    longx519 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Keto. So far down 85lbs. I'm a midwesterner, so my thing is cheese. For breakfast, if I'm hungry, I'll make some chaffles or even just some pepperoni wrapped around mozzerella. Soups are super easy for meal planning. I can make a big batch on the weekend, can up a couple and have easy grab and go lunches for work that week. Some easy keto soups are Broccoli Cheese Soup, Chicken Enchilada Soup, Keto Zuppa Toscana (I like Daikon Radishes instead of potato) or just straight up vegetable soup. I like to throw some heavy cream in to give it extra fat.
  • vanmini1968
    vanmini1968 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto for a few years now. I got a lil lazy around Christmas so just now starting strict keto again to get back on track.
    Keto is NOT a diet fad, it is a way of eating, going back to the way our ancestors did. No processed foods, no sugar. It's really quiet simple.
    I am new to the forums but am hoping to be on a few times a week, hope I can give some tips/advice.
  • kriswolfram1
    kriswolfram1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am back on after the holidays and being sick. I feel so much better with less carbs and no processed foods or sugar! Willl not give up my wine though!!
  • Melipon21644
    Melipon21644 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am with IF as well. 11 down in 5 weeks. Looking for friends 😊
  • Saturncap10
    Saturncap10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm back into doing keto.
    No sugar, low to zero carbs.
    No processed foods.
    Hiit & weights.
    Intermittent fasting.
    Vegetabks mainly dark green
    High fat intake to begin with until body can burn own fat as fuel.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    When I restarted calorie counting, I decided to try Keto. Not so much to eat fat, which from habit, I usually don't partake of, but to minimize intake of sugar, salt and processed foods (which have so many calories compared to the whole food it tries to mimic). I drink more water. I have lost about 8 lbs in about 6 weeks. I can eat this way for life. I really enjoy veggies and fruit, and I typically eat turkey, chicken and beans for protein, pass on beef and pork 95% of the time. I want to get back to a healthy BMI, and stop taking bp meds.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    When I restarted calorie counting, I decided to try Keto. Not so much to eat fat, which from habit, I usually don't partake of, but to minimize intake of sugar, salt and processed foods (which have so many calories compared to the whole food it tries to mimic). I drink more water. I have lost about 8 lbs in about 6 weeks. I can eat this way for life. I really enjoy veggies and fruit, and I typically eat turkey, chicken and beans for protein, pass on beef and pork 95% of the time. I want to get back to a healthy BMI, and stop taking bp meds.

I don't understand how you would do keto while avoiding fat. Keto is basically 25% protein, 10% carb (some do less), and the rest fat.

I also don't get how one would fit in much fruit on keto. I tried it for a while (and am not negative about it, although it was not for me), and found that with the amount of veg I like to eat, and even at a higher carb limit than most do, I couldn't fit in any other carbs besides a serving or two of nuts or seeds and occasional plain greek yogurt (which is processed, but has a totally reasonable number of cals IMO). I know I eat a pretty high amount of veg, but even people who eat less usually can't fit in more fruit beyond a small serving of berries.

I also don't think any beans besides black soybeans would fit into a keto diet. One reason I decided it was not for me, other than missing fruit, is that I was eating more animal products than I like for protein, since beans and lentils were out.

Your diet sounds healthy, but I suspect it may not be what we usually talk about as keto. (Which isn't a bad thing.)

A keto diet only requires carb restriction. It can certainly be high protein. Bodybuilders have been doing it for years.

And depending on your activity levels, you can fit in a good amount of berries (especially Raspberries and Blackberries). There are several people that can be in ketosis at 80-100g. Some people like cyclist or runners can even be upwards of 200g. So not the average but its possible.
  • Saturncap10
    Options

Hey yeah fruit is limited to berries.
    It is a high fat low carb way if eating healthy
  • Saturncap10
    Options

I don't agree with the BMI stuff. I just go by how I feel, how my clothes fit and what people notice and say.
  • Saturncap10
    Options
    No, it's not for me. But 75% of people I know IRL are on it. My boyfriend just started. He had to piss on a stick to measure ketosis... My friend ended up getting what is referred to as the "keto flu". So she quit, but her sister ended up losing 30 pounds. Like any diet plan out there, its a hit or miss. Personally, I know it isn't for me, I am more into counting calories, and thats it. I am not against anyone trying it but as I told my BF, I remind them to be careful and research as much as you can especially on heart health due to the high fat content.

On keto you still have a certain calorie in take to stick by. I'm on 1200 which I fit into 2 meals a day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I don't understand how you would do keto while avoiding fat. Keto is basically 25% protein, 10% carb (some do less), and the rest fat.

I also don't get how one would fit in much fruit on keto. I tried it for a while (and am not negative about it, although it was not for me), and found that with the amount of veg I like to eat, and even at a higher carb limit than most do, I couldn't fit in any other carbs besides a serving or two of nuts or seeds and occasional plain greek yogurt (which is processed, but has a totally reasonable number of cals IMO). I know I eat a pretty high amount of veg, but even people who eat less usually can't fit in more fruit beyond a small serving of berries.

I also don't think any beans besides black soybeans would fit into a keto diet. One reason I decided it was not for me, other than missing fruit, is that I was eating more animal products than I like for protein, since beans and lentils were out.

Your diet sounds healthy, but I suspect it may not be what we usually talk about as keto. (Which isn't a bad thing.)

A keto diet only requires carb restriction. It can certainly be high protein. Bodybuilders have been doing it for years.

And depending on your activity levels, you can fit in a good amount of berries (especially Raspberries and Blackberries). There are several people that can be in ketosis at 80-100g. Some people like cyclist or runners can even be upwards of 200g. So not the average but its possible.

I would agree that it can be somewhat high protein, although plenty of keto guru types would not.
    But it is not a low fat diet, and the poster in question said "from habit, I usually don't partake of" fat. I think trying to do keto levels when you are also avoiding fat is a bad idea (and is confusing for others doing keto). Also, if a diet is truly low fat and low carb, I'd worry a bit about the healthfulness of it (and rabbit starvation). In this case I suspect the diet isn't actually at keto levels but is perfectly healthful.

And yes, some with high calorie goals can be in ketosis at 80-100 g (and it does not really matter if one is in ketosis or not for weight loss, of course). But most people will not be, and what is normally meant by a keto diet is more like 25 g net carbs. (I am active, and I did around 35 g net carbs, and was constantly being told by others doing keto that that was too high to really count, and it certainly was higher than most were doing.) And no, I couldn't fit in "a good amount of berries," let alone fruit generally (which is what was said), but I admit that I eat a very large amount of non starchy vegetables.

Overall, I know you don't have to fully meet the macros for a therapeutic keto diet, but I also think that being so far from them as you suggest make it very likely that one is not really in ketosis (which is not that important, but it is what the diet is named for).
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options

The biggest thing you should do is increase salt intake,

Why Increase salt intake? Wouldn't that be a concern for increasing blood pressure?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »

The biggest thing you should do is increase salt intake,

Why Increase salt intake? Wouldn't that be a concern for increasing blood pressure?

When you decrease carbs, your body will reduce glycogen and water storage. This will also in turn deplete electrolytes (sodium, magnesium, potassium, calcium, chloride).

It's a myth that salt increase blood pressure outside of a small transient increase after you consume the salt. It's no different than exercise causing inflammation. Yes, it's inflammation, but it's a natural physiological response.

Side note, when doing keto, my BP dropped after i started. I was 110/70 on high carbs. I am 100/60 on keto.