Do you think I should start a YouTube channel?

Seeing what y’all think? Following me through my journey from diet, to exercise to prepping food, my pre op hip replacement to post op surgery and recovery. I thought it might be nice bc I don’t know anyone my age going through this and it might be helpful to other people who might be preparing for hip replacement etc. basically my journey! I know nothing about YouTubing I don’t YouTube but thought it might help someone like me get through their fear of surgery and weight loss up to surgery etc. is it a good idea? Tell me your thoughts

Replies

• JohnButz
    JohnButz Posts: 1 Member
    I would say go for it. Possibly even combining the vlog, with a blog (WordPress, or otherwise.) Good Luck!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Why not? I wouldn't expect to make money from it but if you're doing it for fun and healing there's no reason not to.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    If you are prepared to do the tedious editing work, sure. Speaking from experience, don't be surprised if you only get a handful of views per video at the start. How long that lasts until you get a hundred views per video, well it depends. I lost interest in editing way before my views increased. If you aren't enjoying it, stop. You might also feel lots of eyeballs on how your weight loss is going, and the need to achieve perfect weight loss results. These are the negative (plus the negative comments you are going to get - will it ruin your day by a "why is it taking so long?" comment?). Definitely the hardest part is the editing. If you can do that without hating it, I'd suggest you give it a go.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Depends on how you feel about the responses you would get. People slam MFP for posters being rude/blunt. Any YouTube comment section I've seen makes this place look like sunshine and kittens.

Ah, bless the youtube comment section. What a cesspool.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    I always say if it floats your boat, give er. If others don't want to watch, you can just click on through. Just remember, people are horrible so skip or disable comments.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Keep in mind that if you lost your weight calorie counting you will need to probably amp up the rest because from my experience (not with YT) people glaze over immediately if you have not lost your weight in a sexy and/or fast method.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Yea I probably might disable comments depending on that. Depends I have no idea about any of that I might ask my daughter bc she has a channel what her experience has been.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have pretty thick skin so I would probably allow the comments in hopes that the really horrible ones get people defending me and thus drive up views. I would probably just not read them myself.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    That sounds pretty good
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I have pretty thick skin so I would probably allow the comments in hopes that the really horrible ones get people defending me and thus drive up views. I would probably just not read them myself.

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I say do it if you want and do it for as long as you enjoy the process. It is a lot of work..and it takes a lot of time. At least in my experience with launching videos seen by the public. You keep re recording..and editing...and then rendering the video to be played on the net takes time too. But hey.. tons of people do them..and do a good job and I enjoy them.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    No.

You reference your age. Curious. How old are you?

Maybe you can keep a pre surgery video diary, see how it comes out and decide then if you want to make it public. But if I were you I’d be focused on my surgery. And the prep. If the prep includes weight loss, and it sounds like it does, I think WL is best kept to ourselves. If there was a MFP version of YouTube maybe, but just going out into the world on youtube seems to be an open invite for noise. There’s enough diet/fitness noise without asking for it. Put yourself first in this. Concentrate on the task at hand.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    My experience has been really positive. I've been vlogging my Jillian Michaels workouts daily for the past seven weeks. However, it depends what your focus is - mine is to lose the weight and improve my fitness, not necessarily make engaging content especially when I am posting every day. I want to keep it as a kind of visual track record. If you want to become Youtube famous it might be a little more daunting. Keeping it real with a bit of humour is key - there's a Youtuber, Bea Caruso, who started her weightloss journey about a month before mine and when I subscribed to her she had about 300 subscribers. Now she has over 100k!! It's nuts! She's so funny and engaging though.