HELP...losing weight but arms are staying big!!

Options
:sad: OK so i started at 151 and now at 136, losing weight everywhere else on my body but my arms, i kno because i measured my arms and stomach and legs when i started and everything has gone down but my arms!! not even half an inch, i have those arms that are like V shaped and i have a pocket of fat at the top of my arms above my triceps and going into my back, ive been doing biceps and tricep excercises and allot of cardio, i dont understand!! what can i do someone plz help! thanks :happy:

Replies

• Ginger1384
    Ginger1384 Posts: 42
    Options
    I NEED HELP IN THIS AREA ALSO.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Same with me for arms. We just have to keep losing more fat and try to tone using weight training.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I *think* you just gotta keep at it with the weights, and you'll start to tone up. Maybe add in some of the yoga poses, like the plank, and some resistance bands, just so your muscles don't get used to what you're doing?

I have the same problem - I now have muscles that are covered with bat wings. So I'm interested in seeing what other people have to say about this, and what their experiences are.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Keep up those tricep moves, lots of em with the heaviest weight you can manage to do 12 at a time, short rest then as many reps as you can do. It will come, slowly. I add these to the end of whaterver I do every 2nd day and am still waiting for the arms I would like.
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and it has really toned my arms and chest. She uses plank position, push ups and push up variations. It seemed to do more than just my isolated arm exercises I was doing.
  • misscatanzaro
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? If you do you can ask one of the personal trainers for advice and they will usually do one session with you at a discounted rate. Great for those trouble spots that just don't seem to go away! I had the same experience with my abs. No matter what I did, my abs would not shrink. I had such hard stomach muscles, but a major layer of fat on the outside that made me look like I still had a bump! I went through one session with a trainer and she taught me some new moves to work off that layer of fat so my kick *kitten* abs could show through.
  • XBabigrl72
    XBabigrl72 Posts: 88
    Options
    Triceps dips, triceps extensions, and kick backs. Take a look at this web site http://www.onefiftydips.com/week2.html and add some bicep work to it. I like going to shape.com for some good arm workouts too. But the main thing for slim arms is working your triceps. Their what give you "bat wings". I have em' too. It's a work in progress.
  • sexyblues13
    sexyblues13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it really discourages me from continuing because before at least i was even now i look top heavy cause ive lost all the weight on the bottom half of my body and its like my back and arms and face are untouched! i take pictures and all i see are my arms :sad:
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One of the last places I lost and then all the sudden BAM! They were little =) Cardio is KEY to reduce fat but lift 5-8lbs weights as well. Love JM 30DS Shred!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels does a lot of training on your arms in her dvd No More Trouble Zones! The workout also focuses on your butt and abs. It's hard but I am loving it so far. I've done it 5 times so not much on the results to report yet but my triceps are always sore the next day so I know I am working them good.
  • Bourgeoisqueen
    Bourgeoisqueen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try the Kettle Worx...it will help you!
  • Cmmb01
    Cmmb01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For arm fat I would recommend going on YouTube and look up ballet warm up exercise. This has helped me tone my arms. Also twice a week and take a Epson salt bath, it helps to tighten my skin. Moisturize with oil olive after the bath because it does dry out your skin a little bit. Oil olive is also good for stretch marks. I've had 4 babies and it's has worked amazingly for me.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Cmmb01 wrote: »
    For arm fat I would recommend going on YouTube and look up ballet warm up exercise. This has helped me tone my arms. Also twice a week and take a Epson salt bath, it helps to tighten my skin. Moisturize with oil olive after the bath because it does dry out your skin a little bit. Oil olive is also good for stretch marks. I've had 4 babies and it's has worked amazingly for me.

Why would you respond to a 9 year old thread?
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

D'oh! Didnt notice it was an old thread :#
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Wait up, though - old threads aren't on the first few pages of the forums - you have to SEARCH for them! I only know how *I* think, so when I'm searching for something, it's usually because I hope someone else has already solved the problem, but so many of these zombie threads are people popping in to offer advice. What is that all about?

I don't get it. I'm pretty sure the OP has moved on my now.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Plank and dolphin poses in yoga (especially the vinyasa flow from dolphin into plank) should help. Full body press ups?
  • anafritchey
    anafritchey Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Wait up, though - old threads aren't on the first few pages of the forums - you have to SEARCH for them! I only know how *I* think, so when I'm searching for something, it's usually because I hope someone else has already solved the problem, but so many of these zombie threads are people popping in to offer advice. What is that all about?

Op may have moved on but there's still new people reading the thread looking for answers: like me :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Somewhat often, what's happened is that a spammer grabbed the thread (maybe starting from a web search rather than a search inside MFP, even), then posted some advertising-type come-on. When other MFP-ers spam-flag the spam post, it eventually disappears from the thread, but the thread still appears on the first page of the relevant topic area, and other people start commenting (not noticing the old dates).

Op may have moved on but there's still new people reading the thread looking for answers: like me :)

@anafritchey, might I suggest that in a case like that, you might want to start your own new thread?

I think it's good to search read old ones as a starting point, but IME some of the old ones contain very outdated, incorrect advice in them.

In most of the areas we care about (for weight management and fitness), not only has research moved on with new insights, but the MFP Community has slowly evolved with having more experienced, long-term maintainers who offer anecdotal advice from personal experience, where earlier threads may have had a higher proportion of hearsay anecdotes that MFPers read on iffy blog sites and what-not.

ETA: I just reread this thread. It has some terrible advice in it, in the earlier posts. Terrible!