Gym after PT for bulging discs

Options
Happy Monday everyone! To give you a little background on my situation, I was diagnosed with bulging/herniated discs in my lower back in October 2019. At the time, my PT estimated 6-8 weeks of therapy 2X/week, and limited to walking only for exercise (a total freak out moment for me- a gym rat!). Well, here we are 4 months later, and I am STILL in PT after my body had some not so great responses, leading to some set-backs. I am so close though, I know it! I've started to think about what will be realistic for getting back into the gym and a fitness routine. I love lifting, but am so nervous about re-injuring my back... I understand and have accepted that my routine will most likely be drastically different from what I was used to. Has anyone else experienced this? Or able to recommend a good program/exercises to start with? I know off the bat my abs will be extremely limited; preferably stabilizing exercises only.

Thanks!

Replies

• happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I had an L5-S1 disc bulge/hernia a few years ago now. It took a long time for me to be able to walk properly. My right side is never going to be a 100% but it's pretty close to it now!

My journey might not be your own but this is what I did.

1. Followed PT like a man possessed. Alongside visits, I was prescribed a lot of core stabilisation exercises (Cat Cow, Back extensions, McGill Big 3 etc) which I did multiple times a day.
    2. I used very little, if any pain meds ( I do not recommend this nor am I saying you should use pain meds, this is just what I did) so I could more accurately judge my pain on a scale of 1-10 and see if I made progress.
    3. Read up on everything I could related to back injuries and permanent rehab

I also had knee injuries on my right side that stemmed from overcompensation of the left/less use of the right.

Sometime last year, my PT had me start on dumbbell squats and dumbbell deadlifts. Again I followed the instructions and as soon as I felt stable - I moved to barbell lifts.

If you are cleared for it, there is nothing better for the core and back than properly performed, well programmed and progressively overloaded Squats and Deadlift program.

I'm not sure what your routine was prior to this but if you're cleared for lifting, there's nothing better than packing on the muscle to take the pressure off your spine.

Hopefully this helps and hopefully this gets you back in the gym soon

Cheers

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you take your proposed plan to your Physical Therapist for review. If the PT doesn't like something he/she should be able to teach you a safer alternative.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Don't ask the internet- ask your PT! My post-back-injury exercises basically mean never lifting heavy again. I do loads of stability and some strengthening. My PT gave me LONG lists of progressive exercises. They are things like laying on my stomach and lifting one arm and then resting it. They build up to being able to lift both feet. You can't rush these things. Source: was recently in PT for 6 weeks, 3X a week because an injury flared up out of nowhere. I have 2 bulging disks in my lower back, one herniated and narrowed. I was unable to walk upright for 2 and a half weeks.

Were your setbacks related to not following the PT's instructions?
  • slove2718
    slove2718 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there, no the setbacks were just based on how my body was responding to some of the activities we were trying out. I've been working on some similar stabilizing exercises and they definitely make a difference after awhile so hopefully they'll be good steps for progression 🤞
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have blown discs in the lumbar as well. Tons of walking, hamstring stretches, core work got me back to lifting. I have awesome deadlifts but have to go cautiously with my squats. Progressing but slowly. Everyone heals differently, and everyone’s muscle balance/imbalances affect them differently. Work with your care providers, move carefully and add weight slowely. You may find some lifts are easier than others and some are more aggravating. We cannot tell you what will work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why you're not addressing the question to your PT.
  • Khartman6
    Khartman6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I herniated my l5 about 8 years ago. It left me with some permanent nerve damage that causes numbness on the front of my leg, but no strength loss. It took about a month or 2 before i could start easing back into the gym, and about 4 to 6 months before I was back to my old lifts again. Legs took the longest because i couldnt get my hips to rotate properly for a while and lost most of my power. Listen to your PT and only push as hard as your body will let you. Its important you pay attention to what your body is telling you when you're recovering from an injury like this. Good luck in your journey and be patient.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Most people over the age of 40 will have a bulging disk show up on a MRI.

Well established evidence shows that some people experience back pain and have no evidence of a bulging disk while other have evidence yet experience zero pain and wasn't aware of the condition.

I've had both bulging and herninated discs and had no problems training with either. If a movement caused me to experience pain that wasn't tolerable, I just either changed to a close variation, close ROM, volume adjustments that allowed me to train.

I've been lucky to have medical advice that understands the importance of resistance training and follows established evidence that have lead me to greater self efficacy.

I can't suggest anything for you without knowing your training history and more info.

Perhaps some more details on what is exactly causing pain along with your volume, frequency, and intensities related to your lifts might bring more insight.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your physical therapist about setting up a routine to be safe. I've had four back surgeries (herniated discs and congenital stenosis) and have had to modify certain things. The crunch machine is something all my therapists told me to stay off of and after trying it again recently with only 10lbs my back and nerve damage was real flared up, I thought maybe it would be better now that I've had fusions but nope! With leg machines it hurts my back to push the weights down to start like the calf machine but it's my favorite machine so I still do it. Free weights so far the hardest thing is laying on the bench, getting on and off plus just laying on it is tough as my hip flexors are tight though it's getting better doing a back yoga routine. Dead lifts are an exercise I've heard mixed things about but haven't tried it. The trainer that set up my routine was hesitant to give me core exercises, I mostly do things at home like planks, side planks, sit ups with weights, and bicycle obliques. I need to step up my core.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Read the back mechanic from Stuart McGill he seems to be the only one that has real science behind the back movements and pain. Having done over a year of back pain and the PT method doing nothing for me his methods helped more than anything and really makes far more sense than most of the PT stuff some of which was hurting me. Just my case sure I'm in the minority. But having back pain and no solution is super depressing and his was the way for me. Has great podcast to listen to also just google him.
  • HotFrieZ
    HotFrieZ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a PT. I think you should eventually be able to get back into resistance training just fine. Actually, it should continue to help your back if you are using good technique and listen to your body.

I think our personal preferences play into how we treat. I love to exercise and find I can relate to athletes and those who enjoy exercising that other PTs would seem as "overtrainers". I would talk to your PT about your goals. I would consider trying another if they tell you you can't get back in the gym.