BMI and picking a goal weight

MomLarisa
MomLarisa Posts: 225 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just curious others thoughts on selecting a goal weight. If you're overweight it seems reasonable to just get it into the "healthy" range. That seems self explanatory. But for those of you already under 24, what is your goal? Bottom end of the range, whatever feels/looks good to you, something else? Perhaps I shouldn't be so focused on what the scale actually says, but I'm not sure what else to go by.

Just to note, I'm already in the healthy range at 21.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    MomLarisa wrote: »
    I'm just curious others thoughts on selecting a goal weight. If you're overweight it seems reasonable to just get it into the "healthy" range. That seems self explanatory. But for those of you already under 24, what is your goal? Bottom end of the range, whatever feels/looks good to you, something else? Perhaps I shouldn't be so focused on what the scale actually says, but I'm not sure what else to go by.

Whatever looks and feels good when I get there. I assume I am about 25 pounds away from it so I will start evaluating in 20. The main advantage of getting inside my "healthy" BMI range is the cost of insurance. Beyond that it is not a factor.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited March 2020
    This comes up a lot and there is no definitive answer. I agree with @yirara that being underweight is not a great goal. So, it's up to you to pick a weight that you are comfortable with.

It's very reasonable to get to a goal and try to stick there for a while, then perhaps try to lose a few more pounds later, if you feel like it.

But: I've always found maintaining to be harder than losing!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

I was just flirting with the top of the healthy weight range when I decided to do something about it. I decided to shoot for the middle of the range and see what happened when I got there. When I got there, I still wasn't sure, so I decided to focus on fitness for awhile and see if getting more fit made me happier with that weight. That's still what I'm doing. I suspect I will end up trying to get 5-10 lbs lower at some point.

At a 21, you are already right in the middle. I'm assuming your post means you are still not happy with where you are? How strict do you have to be with your eating and exercise to maintain your current weight? In other words, how much of a struggle would it be to stay at a deficit for another 6 months to a year, and would it be worth it to you?

Another option is a recomp, check out these posts:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    For me my range is around the top of the BMI scale, usually aim for 24. I can be at a healthy weight by all other metrics at BMI of 25.5. So I prefer to work on composition instead. My preferred composition is between 20 and 25%. BMI is about 25.2 and my BF% is about 27% so I am trying to drop a few lbs while working on lifting and building muscle.

It sounds like you might be better served by starting a lifting routine and going the recomp method where you lower body fate while maintaining your weight.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    edited March 2020
    Following a large metastudy of 2007 by AICR, meaning review of hundreds of studies recommendation #1 for cancer prevention;
    "be as lean as possible without being underweight."

Still current in their documentation, although they added normal range later (see page 5), with no more explanation.
    https://www.aicr.org/assets/docs/pdf/education/heal-well-guide.pdf

This translates to me as BMI of 18.5, for somebody average not muscular and regular constitution.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited March 2020
    The recommendation, which I did see in page 5, is, in my opinion poorly written and also feeds into a misunderstanding of what a normal BMI means.

It is also written in a way that can easily feed into Eating Disorders. And while it does take a stance against "carrying extra body fat-particularly excess abdominal body fat" because it "means a higher risk for certain cancers" it also fails to establish healthy minimum fat levels.

Your interpretation "This translates to me as BMI of 18.5, for somebody average not muscular and regular constitution" also indicated a lack of understanding of what the healthy BMI range MEANS.

The BMI range only establishes that people of a certain height whose weight falls within a range tend to have less health problems than people of that height whose weight tends to be higher or lower.

It does NOT MEAN that ANY ONE PERSON of a certain height is EQUALLY HEALTHY and has EQUAL LOW RISKS at ANY ONE POINT in the range.

Does not mean that. You don't get to pick and choose at which point in the BMI range you are at minimum risk. Not all points in that range offer equal risk to you. The BMI range does NOT give you any information about this.

ALL YOU KNOW is that at SOME POINT IN THAT RANGE you PROBABLY have minimal health risks.
  • saintor1
    a lack of understanding of what the healthy BMI range MEANS

Didn't I just write; "for somebody average not muscular and regular constitution" ?

I know exactly what BMI means.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    Following a large metastudy of 2007 by AICR, meaning review of hundreds of studies recommendation #1 for cancer prevention;
    "be as lean as possible without being underweight."

Still current in their documentation, although they added normal range later (see page 5), with no more explanation.
    https://www.aicr.org/assets/docs/pdf/education/heal-well-guide.pdf

This translates to me as BMI of 18.5, for somebody average not muscular and regular constitution.

Well, good thing I am neither average nor regular. ;)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I go by how I look lean enough but not boobless at 120 lbs and that comes out to a BMI of 21.3. It should also be sufficient to get my blood sugar properly controlled. Then I don't have to stay on these meds forever.
  • saintor1
    edited March 2020
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Didn't I just write; "for somebody average not muscular and regular constitution" ?

You don't.

You're operating under a common misunderstanding of what it means as indicated by the fact that you believe that all people of a certain height will be healthy at BMI 18.5.

And I've explained above what it does mean. Feel free to read it.

Sorry, no, you didn't get the point.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited March 2020
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You don't.

You're operating under a common misunderstanding of what it means as indicated by the fact that you believe that all people of a certain height will be healthy at BMI 18.5.

And I've explained above what it does mean. Feel free to read it.

Sorry, no, you didn't get the point.

Then my apologies for not getting it. Feel free to explain though I don't see why you would want to invest time in defending a poorly written recommendation.
  • CoreyLust
    CoreyLust Posts: 42 Member

If you are trying to lose 'weight' (I'll assume you mean fat) for aesthetic reasons. Use the mirror. BMI is not a terribly relevant metric to go by and in the grand scheme of things weight isn't either. Unless of course you are trying to make weight for a specific sport etc
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    While BMI is an easy to calculate indicator of one's risk for certain medical problems associated w/obesity (which is what it was desgned to enable doctors to use in a health assessment), I do not think it should have much if anything to do w/picking your specific goal wt.

So, if your BMI is anywhere between 18.5-24.9, you will be w/in healthy weight range and itcwon't matter, at least in terms of your wt related heslth risks what your goal wt is, as long as it is w/in that range.