Mary's Mini

dreamer12151
dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
edited March 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I plan on doing a potato Mary's mini starting next week. I've done my own reading, research and planning for it, so I'm not wanting to hear the "ooooh, so unhealthy, I could never do it" kind of posts. I am aware it is only a short term reset deal, not meant for a long term all-in type plan. I need to get control over myself again, so that is why I am doing it.

I was just wondering if anyone has actually done a MM (or more!) and what you found to be helpful when it comes to doing one, completing it and, more importantly, at the end incorporating other foods back into the meal rotation?

And in case you are wondering what it is, this website breaks it down: https://www.brandnewvegan.com/articles/what-is-a-marys-mini

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I know you say you want people who have tried it to comment, but really how many people would even try such a "plan?"

What are you trying to "reset?" Is it about over-eating and/or cravings or something? How do you plan to fill in the missing nutrition? Supplements?

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    The reason I was planning it was because I am out of control again with my eating. No matter how I try to rein it in, I do well for a while, then "crack" and the next thing I know, I'm adding cheese to everything, munching on chips, adding that little "extra" something....and the pants that used to fit are now tight. The scale is creeping back up & I don't want it to go any further up.

The deal for this Dr. McDougall based plan is to bring you & the tastebuds down. To give you back control. It's not forever, only 10 days. Yes, I do take supplements, and would still take them. And I would still drink my tea (with soy milk & stevia), so I would not be 100% compliant. Something to help break the bad habits.

I have found that, since moving back to the midwest, it has been a lot more difficult to stick with a plant based eating, and junk foods (yes Oreos & chips, I'm talking to you!) are easy to munch on while studying.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    How do you know after 10 days you won't return to your old eating habits. And, if you don't buy Oreos and chips they won't be available for you to eat.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’ve never heard of Mary’s mini or Dr. McDougall, but I have eaten kind of like this.
    When I was younger, I had stomach problems. My Dr. said we could start doing tests right away, probably ending in exploratory surgery, skip the tests and go right to the surgery, or I could start with a very bland diet (boiled potatoes, no butter or salt and limited amounts of dry toast). It was certainly boring! After about a week, I added boiled carrots, then slowly added more vegetables and then other foods. It temporarily cured my stomach problems.
    I don’t remember how much weight I lost, but I did lose some. I was 5’10” and weighed about 150 at that time, so it wasn’t important.

It wasn’t hard for me, and I don’t think it hurt my overall health. But I had super-motivation.

A few times after that when I could feel the same stomach problems coming back, i quickly went right back to my boiled potatoes every time.

Again, I can’t say if it’s good for weight loss, but I can certainly emphatically say I’m glad I did it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat if those symptoms ever come back!

Good luck! I won’t encourage you to try it, but I wish you the best if you do. I hope it helps make your journey easier.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Hey there, I’ve not done this but did my own thing. It started off with slim fast, then I basically took that idea and then decided to fast mornings with keto coffee and had a soup 140-170 calf and a broth about 40 and then a sensible dinner. ( I was having a lot of digestive problems at the time and eating was not feeling to great on my belly so there fore the soup) and aimed for 1200/1400 window. And snack like granola. I felt this helped me get into the right frame of mind to move onto diet and to rest my digestive system a bit. I did that for two weeks.