Options
2»

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    raquelle69 wrote: »
    Danp wrote: »
    My advice is find a way to lose weight that doesn't require 'motivation'. Motivation is a temporary resource that is good at getting thing moving but doesn't last long.

The key to long term weight management is to make it as easy as possible. The only thing required for weight loss is a calorie deficit and there are way to many ways to achieve this to do one that you find difficult. Every time you do something or make a change ask yourself one important question 'Forever?'. As in am I committed to doing this for the rest of my life and if the answer is no, then don't do it and find something else.

The value of a weight management approach has nothing to do with how much weight you're losing it's all about how effortless you can make it. And when evaluating your approach the question you should be asking isn't 'how can I lose more weight' but rather 'how can I keep losing weight but make it even easier'.

Keep the long term in mind. 12 months from now, taking a drastic approach, using unsustainable temporary changes that sees you lose 2kg a week but ends after 2 months once the 'motivation' runs out will see you exactly where you are now. Back on MFP lamenting about how you fell off the wagon and that this time it's gonna be different. Taking an easy effortless approach that sees you lose 0.5kg per week will see you 26kg lighter this time next year. Which would you prefer?

Weight loss is simple. It's just an energy equation. Eat more calories than you use and you'll gain, eat fewer calories than you use and you'll lose. That's as complicated as it gets. As far as weight loss is concerned what you eat, when you eat don't matter.

Weight loss isn't always easy but it's only as difficult as we decide to make it for ourselves. Strive to make it as easy and effortless as possible. Remember, you can't fall off the wagon if you don't get on a wagon to begin with.

G'luck

Wise words .... I agree completely. I have tried everything, succeeded on only a few occasions (yes, I have yoyo'd since I was 14). Simplicity and consistency works for me, with a little brisk walking. I know how to lose weight, I just have to be in the right mindset... which I currently am 🙂

This is what I'm saying. You need an approach that still works when you're not feeling it. One that is so natural and easy for you that you don't need to psych yourself up or be in the right mindset to do it. One that is effortless on a good day but, on a bad day is still at least 'doable'.

The aim is to make it so easy that you're practically on autopilot for the most part. Then that wonderful reserve of motivation, will power and mind set will be there to call upon to get you through a rough patch and keep you on track. Use up all those reserves just trying to sustain 'normal' and they won't be there when you really need them.

G'luck
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    The other thing that helps is to view this as 'weight management' rather than 'weight loss'. Life has it's ups and downs. It twists and turns and rarely does it follow a straight predictable trajectory so it helps to approach weight management in the same way.

Viewing this as weight management lets you keep control of the process through these ups and downs. I'll give 2 examples to illustrate.
    Successful weight management lets you consciously and purposefully 'put on a few' while on holidays as a normal part of enjoying your life. This is a weight loss failure
    Successful weight management lets you decide that your busy schedule over the next month might need more of your energy so you'll eat at maintenance for the time being. This is a weight loss failure

Make being in control of your weight the goal.