Could I still lose weight with drinking a few beers?

I’m having one coors light today and maybe a few vodka cranberry’s on Friday for my birthday. If it fits in the calories, would I still be able to lose weight? Or will the alcohol make it difficult

Replies

• NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Absolutely possible, just log it and move on. If you are worried, maybe try to sneak in an extra few minutes of cardio. I am a wine drinker and still successful. The key for me is to be conscious of what I am consuming and to be accountable for it.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I'll be having a lot of beers at the end of the month for a friends birthday. I only drink once a month because I drink to get drunk but long as it fits in your calories your good.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Happy birthday.
    The only way a fee alcoholic drinks that fit into your calories hurts weight loss is that a few drinks makes me at least more likely to indulge in the plate of nachos and the cake that don't fit in my calories.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Any food/drink is fine as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit.
    Proper nutrition is important to monitor as well. Moderation of any food/drink.
  • RowingMamma
    RowingMamma Posts: 2 Member
    Unpopular opinion, alcohol affects your metabolism so when you drink, your body burns the alcohol first which can slow weight loss. That is what my doctor told me. When I drink, my weight loss completely stalls. But if you limit it you should be fine.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited March 2020
    Bring on the Disagrees... I say no. But I suppose I should qualify it. What is a few beers? 3 Over the Christmas holidays or 3 per week? If it the first then sure if it's the latter it's gonna be tough.

I cut out all beer on a weekly basis. Reserved it for holidays only. Mmmm beer and turkey.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yes, just fit them in your calorie allotment. they are empty calories nutritionally but it won't hurt.
  • canthony3505
    canthony3505 Posts: 35 Member
    Sure you can, but you probably won't look like the guys in the beer commercials. But let's be honest, no one looks like the guys in the beer commercials.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    edited March 2020
    Unpopular opinion, alcohol affects your metabolism so when you drink, your body burns the alcohol first which can slow weight loss. That is what my doctor told me. When I drink, my weight loss completely stalls. But if you limit it you should be fine.

As I understand it, yes, alcohol is prioritized to be burned off first. However, if one is in an overall calorie deficit (burning more calories than one is eating/drinking), that calorie shortage is going to be fueled from somewhere besides intake (regardless of the intake type). So, the overwhelming majority of a sensibly moderate deficit will be made up sooner or later by burning stored body fat. It may even happen while we're asleep, but it's going to happen.

Alcohol has the potential to lead to lethargy (fewer calories burned through fatigue/inactivity/increased rest time), as well as that side effect of eating more or tracking eating less accurately, so there's a bunch going on. Also - and I say this as a semi-regular alcohol consumer - alcohol is essentially an intoxicating poison, so can have varied side effects. For example, it can have effects on water retention, so aggravate the body weight scale's general tendency to be a lying liar that lies, in the short run. Other than through reduced activity or increased eating, it's unlikely to make one's body absorb more calories (make one's system more efficient at hoarding calories, which would be "efficient" in natural selection terms).

There are many reasons to reduce alcohol consumption, or even cut it out altogether, but the fact that alcohol is preferentially metabolized shouldn't be a big deal for an otherwise healthy person in a calorie deficit overall.

P.S. I didn't click "disagree" on your post, but suspect that some who did so had the above reasoning.

P.P.S. Your screen name: Do you have a child who's a rower? I'm a rower. :flowerforyou:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    Yes, I often drink beer or wine w/meals. You just have to stay w/in your cal goals when you do.