Calling out to the former chubby kids

Options
2»

Replies

• ellyseb1
    ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying I wasn't a chubby kid, but so many of these stories really resonated with me. My entire family was/is overweight or obese. Growing up, I was completely inactive and ate the same bad foods they did. I managed to stay at a healthy weight until I went to college. I felt like it was sort of my destiny to gain weight to be like the rest of the family. They teased me when I was a kid about being "skinny" although I wasn't really, and then seemed satisfied somehow that I was turning into the same as them.

Long story, but in my 30s, I finally got interested in some active hobbies and it changed my perception that I wasn't doomed. The most difficult thing for me was realizing that I could actually enjoy working out and participating in sports, even if I'm not good at them. I grew up thinking I couldn't, being told that I was too klutzy to be one of those "athletic" girls. Even today at 51, I'm sometimes surprised myself when I finish a long hike or a jog.

In my experience genetics might be part of it, but family baggage is tougher to fight against.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I was a chubby kid. And then an obese teenager. And then a morbidly obese adult.

I was reasonably active as a primary school child, but when I moved to secondary school there was a long commute and a lot of homework and much fewer opportunities to do, well, anything. And I'm easy bored and loved to read, which is a pretty sedentary hobby.

In retrospect, I have also always suffered from my appetite being essentially disconnected from physical cues. I feel starving hungry if I'm bored, and especially if there's food easily available. If I actually physically need food, I feel... tired and indecisive.

My transformation started when I realised that I could avoid the hopeless constant hunger by distracting myself a lot. I weighed around 27 stone then; I currently weigh 11. That part was easy.

Maintenance, unfortunately, I'm finding a lot harder. I work in a food-rich environment (there's a freely available fruit box right behind me, the office provides free cake every Wednesday) and I'm currently suffering from some kind of mysterious ailment that makes me tired all the time; which means I can't concentrate on distractions. And being a little bit bored and therefore a little bit peckish all the time seems to have mutated my appetite into full-on binge eating disorder.

But I've conquered so much, I can conquer this. I just need to find the right strategy.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    @ceiswyn I can relate so well! Can you go cold turkey? I try IF till lunch, unsweetened tea, coffee and water only. Tea is a calorie-free distraction from the other snacks...

Let's knock down this monster together! 🏋️‍♀️
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    @dewitt I've considered it occasionally, since I only have a small breakfast anyway, but my body doesn't react well to morning fasting. Frustratingly! But there are always other techniques to try :)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Would hate to be called skinny! That's a completely negative term to me

This resonates with me 100%. I hate that the social norm is to be overweight and anything smaller than that is seen as simply "skinny"
  • dewit
    edited March 2020
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    @dewitt I've considered it occasionally, since I only have a small breakfast anyway, but my body doesn't react well to morning fasting. Frustratingly! But there are always other techniques to try :)

Totally agree! I still reccomend the tea and water with a splash of lemon in it, when it comes to "munching".

Apple is also good, once you allow yourself a few cals.🙂 For the substances which it produces in the brain, killing the appetite for sweets and for being refreshing.

Apples, black tea and coffee make me hungry, though... 😑.

Oops, I'm hijacking my own thread... 😀
  • dewit
    Options
    Some people who liked me obese have left me. Makes them feel bad about themselves or they can't relate to me anymore. It can be tricky.

Their loss! You are wonderful, look amazing and need fit friends, to do all the great activities that your new body enables you to do! Congratulations for finding your way out of it 🏋️‍♀️ and finding yourself 🤸‍♀️

• dewit
    Options
    Simon, you already know what I think of you! Thank you for the elaborate answer and the great insights! 🤗🌻
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid. I was fat, because I overate (particularly a lot of nutrient deficient "junk food" and drank too many calories in the form of soda) and was pretty sedentary.

I wasn't fat due to genetics per say. My mom was obese and had bad habits...and likely undiagnosed binge eating disorder. I learned those bad habits. I might have a genetic predisposition to weigh more or have more "addictive" type behavior; however, most of my behaviors were directly modeled by my mother...using food to cope with every emotion, using food as comfort and entertainment.

By 15 years old (1995), I figured out that my obesity was due to too much food and too little movement. As a teen, I lost nearly 40lbs in highschool without adult assistant. I could tell that I was eating more than my peers. I moderated my food intake and completely cut out soda. I ate more vegetables for more volume. I lost a modest 15lbs....but that encouraged me to add more intentional exercise. Using both strategies I lost significant weight when I left for college.

In college, I gained a Freshman 10. Well, I buckled down on calorie intake. I knew activity level wasn't a problem at that point, b/c I was pretty unintentionally active and moderately engaging in intentional activity. I lost close to 30lbs the next year.

I'm 40, and with the exception of 2 pregnancies, I've maintained my weight for 20 years. I've learned better emotional coping strategies than using food. I've also figured out that I am an "all or nothing" person so I have to be mindful of that when I indulge and plan those indulgences in advance.

I also recognize that even if I do have a genetic predispotion to weigh more...it's still my responsibility to analyze and modify my behavior.

The bolded was a major culprit for my chubbiness as a teen, and is a major catalyst for my current diet strategy. I go "all in or not at all" on days outside of the structured diet that I am typically on, therefore I plan ahead and make it an "expectation" when I do.

• dewit
    Options
    I wonder about the reverse: thin kids who have put on weight during adult life and need to carefully watch their eating and activity levels, in order to avoid getting... chubby!
  • dewit
    Options
    I'd appreciate more input here 😀. You know, in case you want to take your mind off the current threat to the world.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    I wonder about the reverse: thin kids who have put on weight during adult life and need to carefully watch their eating and activity levels, in order to avoid getting... chubby!

In my experience this segment is most apt to chalk it up to "getting older sucks, everything slows down" while failing to recognize drops in activity and/or increase in intake.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I was an underweight child of obese parents.
    We ate alot and it was all crap nutrition as my mother couldn't cook so we ate processed chicken in bread crumbs with chips most days, always fish and chips from the chippy on Friday as we lived in a seaside town and it was real cheap (99p for fish and chips)

We were active kids, danced, swam, gymnastics etc every day of the week

I suddenly started gaining during puberty. I was accused of sneaking food, I wasn't.
    I figured if I'm gonna get in trouble for nothing then I might as well eat stuff

I took on my mums habit of eating when alone and upset (we used to watch her from the window)
    And of course around 16/17 I stopped the childhood activities in favour of working

I followed my mums example and ate my emotions through a violent marriage, through my daughters medical problems (in hospital her whole first year then every other week, wasn't expected to live past 2.... Is now nearly 15)

I didn't grow out of it, it became ingrained, my way of living

I had to take charge and deal with my life when I was told I wouldn't last more than 5 years

I dropped weight pretty fast, learned the hard way about over doing it....... Then fell pregnant with a surprise baby a decade after being told I couldn't have more kids

My weight is going to be something I always need to work on, my diet something I'll need to keep an eye on as I'm prone to "just a bit more won't hurt" yes, yes it will when that little bit grows to hundreds of extra calories

But my kids are worth having to put the effort into working on myself. They need their mum and they need me to set better examples on keeping themselves in the best health they can
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I was plump, then borderline fat as a child/Pre teen. My parents were both obese, and we did not have many active hobbies (occasional bike rides or nature walks, and I played rec softball as a kid, but that’s about it. We liked to read).

Our food situation wasn’t ideal but was in no way terrible either—we brought our lunches to school, ate home cooked (or semi home cooked meals) every night as a family. Maybe veggies were rather uninspired, but we ate actual food (I didn’t know what Velveeta was until I met my husband!), but just too much of it. Probably more snacks/junk than was good for us, but again, it wasn’t daily or constant by any means. No sugary cereal during the school year, for instance. My mom was often trying to lose weight, so we would not get “bad” junk food for a while...only to fall upon whatever candy/donut/chips came into the house like ravenous hyenas, just eating it by the handful/before someone else did.

My brother and I did not have a good gauge of portions or satiety, or the ability to eat a few cookies and put them away. Who knows if there would be any left and when we’d next access this delicious treat! Must eat them now! Also, I still remember going to a sleepover and dishing out the ice cream—everyone was taken aback by the soup bowls full I dished out....they were used to ramekins. That was the first time I realized I saw food differently than my small to normal sized peers.

When I was in 5th or 6th grade I started maxing out of the girls plus size section (16s getting too tight), and my mom brought both of us to a children’s weight loss group led by a local doctor. Somewhat like weight watchers—meetings to talk about healthy choices and ways to incorporate activity, weekly weigh ins. We had special calendar sheets to record our meals/snacks/activities, which gave me the introduction to portion control/food logging I needed. I lost enough weight to be on the slightly plumper side of normal. Maintained that through most of high school (size 8-12).

The real hange came senior year of HS when I began dating a guy my same height, who was a muscular track and field athlete & cross country runner. I started to pick up his eating habits—salads, no or little dressing, veggies, not as much bread—and I started running. The weight came off and I was a size 4 by graduation.

Going off to college I made the decision to be a new me—not the fat nerd (instead, the athletic nerd!). I joined the crew team, then the rugby team. I trained for my sports and for half marathons. I started going to a hardcore kickboxing gym 3x a week. I loved feeling like an athlete, and I ate to fuel it (we had a fantastic salad bar and healthy dining options).

Maintained that through college, with some backsliding in grad school and around my pregnancies, but I always found my way back to my 135ish size 4, using what I learned in those original weight loss classes—count calories/control portions and increase activity. I moved from paper logs to websites to MFP over those 20ish years, but principles remained the same.

After my 4th baby, I got into weight lifting and have changed my fitness routine (and dropped a bit more weight and a few sizes). It’s always moving between strict logging and relaxed logging to no logging, then butting up against the top of my happy range and tightening things up to get back down a few pounds. People who didn’t know me back then assume I’ve always been thin/athletic and maintain easily. Not so.

I’m trying to change things for my kids, who at this point seem to take after their skinny dad—they say no to extra snacks, leave candy or dessert unfinished if they don’t like it very much or are full. Snacks go stale in the pantry (crazy to me that indeed Oreos go stale!). We’re also very active—they see me working out, they run with my husband or me, we kayak and bike together , they play outside all the time (we homeschool, so they get regular activity breaks) and have almost no tv/electronic access besides family movie nights, and they all play sports almost year round. Fruit and veg available all the time as snacks and they actually choose it (again, mind blowing to me). Here’s hoping they can avoid the struggle I had.