Fat to lose and muscle to gain

(Double posted in “introduce yourself” for exposure)
Hello!
I’ve been on MyFitnessPal since 2012, but never used the social aspect. I’ve lost 60 pounds over the last 2 years and I’m at the final push. Tracking calories once again to reinforce habits that have waned and to make sure I stay in a caloric deficit. I also just reread Tom Venuto’s book The Body Fat Solution which is EXCELLENT! I’m strength training 4 days a week and doing cardio/core an additional 2 days a week. Anyone else focusing on physique with their training?
Looking for training accountability partners!
Thanks!

Replies

• evahbuck
    evahbuck Posts: 12 Member
    Hi! I sent you a friend request. 🙂
  • jloague
    jloague Posts: 8 Member
    Hello, Hello - I need training accountability
    I went away from this app & now back. I want to drop 20lbs. Currently, on a 10- day no processed sugar diet.
  • designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    I’m also attempting to recomp - lifting 4 days a week and lots of cardio on top of that. I get my body fat tested once a month and keep track of my measurements. Looking to reduce body fat and retain or gain muscle.
  • Saturncap10
    Saturncap10 Posts: 23 Member
    I'm making some attempts at lifting for strength and building muscles. I'm on keto & IF. I measure blood glucose & ketones. I've got this app to track my macros for last 2 weeks. I find everyone does things differently in terms of diet, like how much protien should we consume etc. So I'm experimenting with all of this atm.
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    Hi there! I’m somewhere along the road to trying to lose fat and gain muscle. I need to start counting my calories again as I’m creeping on weight and need some accountability too.
  • KBClimber
    KBClimber Posts: 20 Member
    Im also basically trying to recomp and train for sport. Add me!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    I feel like i am forever cutting but it generally turns into a recomp since my weight rarely seems to budge lol.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    I did a recomp for about 3 years and it suited me well. I followed several established lifting programmes and got myself into the groove of training. I found maintaining my weight reasonably easy. Just kept protein high. I think recomp is an acceptable plan for a lot of people who have a history of yo yo dieting. Me included. But it is a slow process so take pics. I wish I had taken a proper set of pics when I first started.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I am sick at the moment (stupid cold/flu) but as soon as I am better I will be back to the gym. I love lifting and sculpting my body. I too am trying to cut. I have about 15 pounds to lose. I have a 1495 calorie diet right now and have it split for macros 33/33/34. Counting macros is new for me. As long as I hit 30% of each, I count it as a win.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I am sick at the moment (stupid cold/flu) but as soon as I am better I will be back to the gym. I love lifting and sculpting my body. I too am trying to cut. I have about 15 pounds to lose. I have a 1495 calorie diet right now and have it split for macros 33/33/34. Counting macros is new for me. As long as I hit 30% of each, I count it as a win.

Generally those percentages will put you in the ballpark, but I think it's better, particularly with protein and resistance training, to go with absolutes. 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, approximately 0.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight per day, and then fill in the rest of your calorie goal with carbs. Of course that really only applies if you're not too overweight. A 300lb person wouldn't need to, or want to, eat 300 grams of protein a day. A better method is to base the values on the lean body mass you have, but most people don't know that number. And those are minimums. You can increase protein to decrease carbs, for example.

I'm sure you're aware of all this, but others might find it useful. Also, here's a great thread on nutrition:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911011/calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs/p1
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    With 1495 calories, a macro split of 33/33/34 breaks down to 125g protein, 125g carbs, 55g fat. I weigh 145 lbs. I did do research and then made adjustments based on my personal trends.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    You can do it!

I'm on a four year slow lean out and muscle build. Takes consistency and patience. MFP is very helpful to manage calories and carb fat protien balance.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    s9u25vgv60pp.jpg

It can be done. Keep at it!

Wow. Fantastic.
  • Saturncap10
    evahbuck wrote: »
    (Double posted in “introduce yourself” for exposure)
    Hello!
    I’ve been on MyFitnessPal since 2012, but never used the social aspect. I’ve lost 60 pounds over the last 2 years and I’m at the final push. Tracking calories once again to reinforce habits that have waned and to make sure I stay in a caloric deficit. I also just reread Tom Venuto’s book The Body Fat Solution which is EXCELLENT! I’m strength training 4 days a week and doing cardio/core an additional 2 days a week. Anyone else focusing on physique with their training?
    Looking for training accountability partners!
    Thanks!

@evahbuck I'm trying to build muscle but I've been giving myself rest days in between. I do this to give my body a rest. Do you do full body 4 days per week? Or do you split it by doing upper one day then lower the next?
  • Saturncap10
    s9u25vgv60pp.jpg

Wow. Fantastic.

So jealous right now..whats your routine for training?
  • Saturncap10
    s9u25vgv60pp.jpg

@KHMcG
    I must have posted wrong but anyway what is your training routine? Can you give some tips for a woman?
    So jealous right now, you look great men seem to be able to gain faster than women.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    s9u25vgv60pp.jpg

@KHMcG
    I must have posted wrong but anyway what is your training routine? Can you give some tips for a woman?
    So jealous right now, you look great men seem to be able to gain faster than women.

This is 4 yrs of work. Daily calisthenics. 3-4 times a week high intensity cardio. 2-3 times a week strength training at the gym and 1500 - 1800 calories a day.

Yes it is easier for men to get. to the final results but women show initial results faster.
  • Saturncap10
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Generally those percentages will put you in the ballpark, but I think it's better, particularly with protein and resistance training, to go with absolutes. 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, approximately 0.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight per day, and then fill in the rest of your calorie goal with carbs. Of course that really only applies if you're not too overweight. A 300lb person wouldn't need to, or want to, eat 300 grams of protein a day. A better method is to base the values on the lean body mass you have, but most people don't know that number. And those are minimums. You can increase protein to decrease carbs, for example.

I'm sure you're aware of all this, but others might find it useful. Also, here's a great thread on nutrition:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911011/calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs/p1

@GaryRuns
    Can you give some more information around the lean muscle mass that you mention?