UGH.... how do I avoid drinking

Options
2»

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    One solution to your problem is to order diet soda in a glass so it looks like your drinking.

Now that I've given you a solution.... how about some unsolicited advice:

Bail on your friends enough and you won't have any friends to bail on. You have to live your life. You CAN have fun while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Do some extra cardio tomorrow to make up for the drinking you do tonight. Eat a lighter dinner tonight to make room for some drinks. Forget about calories for ONE DAY.

I hit my goal several months ago. At no time did I deprive myself. I went out drinking on occasion. I have a glass of wine several nights a week. I fit it into my daily goal by balancing my diet and exercise. You don't need to stop your life in order to get fit.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    oh...and if shots come out just accidentally pour them down the side of your mouth so at least half leaks out...might get on your shirt, but at least you won't get wasted or get too many calories...
  • jenkamac
    jenkamac Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm taking my friend out for her birthday tonight - it's red wine and maybe a gin and tonic or something like that. I can still drink if I want - just make better choices. Don't just not go. That's lame.
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ask for ice water with lemon and volunteer to be a designated driver

LOVE IT!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont avoid it at all im drinking right now
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    drink like a rockstar...sometimes it should be and needs to be done.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    One solution to your problem is to order diet soda in a glass so it looks like your drinking.

Now that I've given you a solution.... how about some unsolicited advice:

Bail on your friends enough and you won't have any friends to bail on. You have to live your life. You CAN have fun while still maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Do some extra cardio tomorrow to make up for the drinking you do tonight. Eat a lighter dinner tonight to make room for some drinks. Forget about calories for ONE DAY.

I hit my goal several months ago. At no time did I deprive myself. I went out drinking on occasion. I have a glass of wine several nights a week. I fit it into my daily goal by balancing my diet and exercise. You don't need to stop your life in order to get fit.
    Every point of this is directly on the money.

The way you are eating and exercising should now be your life and not just a diet you're doing for a short period of time. You need to learn to balance the fun days with the every day. I spent last Friday - Monday in Laughlin, NV for my dad's 70th birthday with my parents, my husband and son, my siblings and their spouses. I drank the free drinks, I ate at the buffet and I am not ashamed to say that I had gained 2 pounds when I stepped on the scale Tuesday morning. As of this morning, those two pounds are already gone and they mattered so little in the big scheme of things. I wouldn't have missed that weekend for anything in the world. Go have fun!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I ride a motorcycle to social events...so I never drink when out, no matter what. If it comes up, I just say, "I'm riding" and that's that :wink: If you don't have a motorcyle...

Lots of good advice already. Another option:

Tip the bartender/server good at the start of the event. Enlist their aid to meet your goals. Tell them you are watching your calories and to keep your glass field with water and funny umbrellas and fruits or whatever to make it look like a hard drink.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    drink like a rockstar...sometimes it should be and needs to be done.

Agree. Tell yourself it will destress you and help you loose weight in the long run.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Take up pot smoking. :drinker:
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options

this...but sometimes that leads to a sore bum in the morning...
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I hate to ask what you're doing after you puff...lol Go figure I even have several puffs before C25k'ing...in fact most times I do :bigsmile: lol
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

I hate to ask what you're doing after you puff...lol Go figure I even have several puffs before C25k'ing...in fact most times I do :bigsmile: lol

I've worked out after eating some weed - (I don't smoke, but I'll eat it fo sho!) and it's the best workout ever.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Definitely go, drink and as others have said, mix it up with water...no one will know and you will be there with your friend, which matters most... have a great time!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Just go. The one night of having a few drinks won't make a difference in the long run. I would suggest rum and diet cola. That way you are only getting the calories from rum so it's not so bad as a mixed fruity drink, which can be ridiculously high in calories.

And you are not too old to go out clubbing!

:)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    pretend that you're drinking in order to be perceived as acceptable.

WHAT?!

OP said she was "too old" for clubbing. so presumably she is also too old to have to pretend anything.

One of the perks of being an adult is choosing what you want without be affected by peer pressure. My God, you'd think we were talking about a bunch of teenagers. (we're not, right)?
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

Wait...what?
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's my friends birthday and her man rented the VIP at a local club.

First I am way to old to be going clubing.
    Second the only way I am not going to be totally lame is to drink because I dont really want to go to a club

I dont want to drink because I should weigh in tomorrow and I am cutting it close with only a few calories left. And todays choices were not the greatest.

Would it be really wrong for me to bale on my friend?

Well it worked out for the best because the party was cancelled as the majority of her friends could not make it. This is what happens when your man plans your bday party and most your friends are parents and only give a 8 hour notice. I was actually going to go and just not drink and be a DD for anyone who wanted. As for planning for the calories to go out and drink , I would have loved to but again thats hard when you are not given enough time. And like someone said before who the heck wants to be a DD. Also I didnt mention that I had plans for tonight to go to the comedy club and drink tonight so 2 nights in a row would really suck for the scale.

So I have only been doing this healthy lifestyle since June, prior to that I LOVED to drink. I am a beer and whiskey kind of girl and one who can drink all night and be the last person standing..... Although this was my weekend lifesyle I have managed to let it go and only drink on occasion. So sometimes its very annoying to be the sober one around the drunks.

So for my friend, since her party was cancelled I am taking her to the comedy club with us tonight.