Speed walking-swollen hands

Options
I’ve been back to speed walking for an hour and a half five times a week. It’s really great exercise for me but my hands are swelling really bad . It takes around 3 hours for the swelling to decrease. It doesn’t matter if I have my hands down or if I have my arms bent at the elbow the swelling happens . It’s really painful and I can’t bend my fingers when it happens. Does this happen to anyone else? I also should say I have a congenital heart defect

Replies

• onehottomatodmz
    onehottomatodmz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    kkkejcxcm8cf.jpeg
    euybcd7jtn30.jpeg
    Here are pictures of my hand
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Have you mentioned the pain and swelling to your doctor?
  • onehottomatodmz
    Options
    It just started a week ago but I figured I would check here to see if anyone else had the same issue
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    My hands swell sometimes on very long runs (3+ hours). My doctor was not concerned because the swelling only occurs during lengthy exercise when my hands/arms are mostly in one position and subsides quickly (within a few minutes of stopping or putting my hands above my heart).

If it were lasting for several hours, I would imagine he would be more concerned about the cause being something potentially significant. I probably would be too.

It wouldn’t hurt to get it checked for some peace of mind (and maybe some relief from the discomfort).
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My hands will do this on longer walks or on hikes. My doctor wasn't concerned since that's the only time it happens and swelling goes down afterwards. Things she suggested that have helped me are to drink more water/hydrate better and move my arms more. Those only help somewhat though, not actually prevent it.

As said above, it wouldn't hurt for you to have it checked out by your doctor just be safe.
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me too
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too, especially in the summer.
  • onehottomatodmz
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I’m drinking 64ounce of water daily and moving my arms and hands during the walk. Very strange but I will check with my cardiologist
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I used to have this happen when hiking in summer. Using hiking poles or thumb loops on my backpack, so my hands were raised consistently, helped keep the swelling down.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Happens to me. Both before and after weightloss
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It happens to me on runs (when I used to run) and long hikes. I have no idea of the cause and can't remember how long it takes for the swelling to pass as I've not done lengthy exercise for ages due to injury.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I get this on hikes. For me I think it might be allergy related as it helps when I take anti-histamines.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Are you sweating a lot? You might need water, and a bit salt.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    happens to me on long walks in warm weather, hands swell and fingers go tingly, (not to your level of swelling though)
    I wave my hand above my head for a few steps every now and again - yes I do look like a prat but no more swollen hands

(also, get it checked to be sure)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    This happens to me on longer walks. Hydration helps some, but I also lace my fingers and rest my hands on top of my head for a few minutes with some arm stretches mixed in to help speed up my hand's return to normal. It is much worse in summer than in winter.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never even thought about it, but my sausage-fingers seem to have gone bye bye with the weight.

My problem now is if my hands get the least chilled, my fingers stop working. Not a good thing when you’ve just come in from a five mile walk, are frantic to pee and can’t get your drawers down.

Made a doctors appointment last week and she was totally puzzled. Said it was a new one on her, ordered a bunch of tests, and suggested a lunch pail full of supplements. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    See doctor but also get some compression gloves. If you search on "arthritis gloves" you'll find them.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I used to walk at lunchtime with a coworker who had this same problem. A colleague suggested drinking a lot more water. He claimed it was a symptom of dehydration. He was very interested health and wellness and knowledgeable about the body etc. he claimed that her body wanted to sweat but didn’t have excess fluid to do it. He also guessed she needed more potassium.
    So, she tried it and it helped a lot!! So try extra water before and even during your walk and let us know if it helps. And maybe get a little more potassium (bananas, sweet potatoes, grapefruits etc), It definitely helped that one case!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Mine used to, it's why I don't wear my ring when I go run. I don't notice it much anymore...I think it was worse in the summer.
  • onehottomatodmz
    Options
    I’m drinking before and after my walk. I can’t drink during as it causes major cramping. I usually have a banana in the morning with my yogurt a couple of hours before my walk. Funny thing is that this never happened before. I move my hands when I walk but after the first Mile my hands are so swollen I can’t move my fingers at all. I’m gonna contact my cardiologist and let you know what I find out