Here's the Deal...I Married a Greek/Italian and HE Does The

Options
Goodlord! I have never eaten so well in my LIFE!!
Problem is, I grew up in a very English family where food was not a primary thought. Nobody could really cook WELL either.
Being outside, doing things, going places, That's what was important!
My little 78 yr old mother still cuts down trees by herself.
Food was just something you shoved in your mouth as you sped past the kitchen on your way outside to another project.

I've been married almost 3 years now to a man from a VERY Greek family. He himself is half Greek, half Italian. Cypriote and Sicilian. His family, his life, his whole world revolves around food. Food = Love.
Food and cooking is how he celebrates, relaxes, entertains, shows love, around where important things are discussed, and/or resolved, if you're feeling sad, or sick, it's how you give gifts, or even if you need to connect with friends or family....food is the cure, the solution.

I gained over 25 lbs, but I have NEVER tasted anything so amazing in my life!

This is not healthy though.
My whole family doesn't have a chubby person in it. We're all tall, long, lean, and small boned. We couldn't hold the weight very well even if we DID get fat. BUT, I am now the family fatty.
I have a very small bone structure, my ring size is a 4!
I am 5'7".
I was always used to weighing about 125lbs all my adult life.

I last weighed myself when I hit the 150's and just quit looking.

I am now back down to the 140's, but I have slightly high blood pressure, my clothes are uncomfortable and I have reflux.

Meanwhile, my husband and his little round Greek family are as happy as clams. They seem to love fattening people up. My husband even fattened up my little DOG ( she's supposed to weigh 4 lbs, she now weighs 8lbs, double her desired weight!)
Even his goldfish are fat!

My husband is short, large boned, and round like a toddler with a round and tight little toddlers belly.
Very Greek looking. Cute as can be! BUT I can't physically BE like that!

Here's the problem, because food means SO much to him and his family, if you don't eat much, skip a meal, refuse food of ANY kind....there is not only something wrong with you, but you have offended the cook!
You have refused LOVE!

HELP!!

A British girl in a Greek's world

Replies

• stephmofo
    stephmofo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You’re going to see a lot of food pushers from people from high poverty countries. This is how they survived for centuries, food was very sparse at times. The good news is the Mediterranean diet is very healthy. Stay away from high carb foods and sweets though. We always have tomato and cucumber salad or some type of salad, if they don’t serve this you should make it and bring it to them. Also focus on soups and vegetable dishes, you might inspire his family to eat healthier! Italian and greek cooking isn’t all about moussaka and lasagna, find some healthy recipes from his culture and experiment. Also try to get his mindset to change about food and using it as fuel and health for his body instead of appeasing people’s emotions so he can help his stubborn family.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If they are offended that's their problem not yours. One of the hardest lessons to learn as an adult is that you can't be responsible for other people's feelings about things. If they are choosing to be upset that you are caring about your health it is up to them to manage that. Expecting someone to become unhealthy and miserable for you is not love.

Animal abuse is also not remotely love. Letting a defenseless animal become twice it's healthy weight is abominable. :|
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    stephmofo wrote: »
    You’re going to see a lot of food pushers from people from high poverty countries. This is how they survived for centuries, food was very sparse at times. The good news is the Mediterranean diet is very healthy. Stay away from high carb foods and sweets though. We always have tomato and cucumber salad or some type of salad, if they don’t serve this you should make it and bring it to them. Also focus on soups and vegetable dishes, you might inspire his family to eat healthier! Italian and greek cooking isn’t all about moussaka and lasagna, find some healthy recipes from his culture and experiment. Also try to get his mindset to change about food and using it as fuel and health for his body instead of appeasing people’s emotions so he can help his stubborn family.

The OP hasn't logged in for 8 years, so hopefully she's already figured out how to deal with the situation.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    mmmm this is a good one. I say learn to lie for the good of the family. Eat some of the food and tell the cook.. please pack some of this up fo rme so I can have some later tonight and for lunch tomorrow. It is sooo delicious, ...then pretend you're eating at home and don't let your hubby know. that way you keep all the love in the family..and don't offend a different culture with our upfront ways.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

The OP hasn't logged in for 8 years, so hopefully she's already figured out how to deal with the situation.

Oh lol I didn't even notice!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @ElzbthStths We can learn to moderate ourselves with food. Moderate your portions and you won't have to limit a thing. No one has to live in our bodies. We can moderate and you're going to have to learn how to stand your ground without offending them. Find your balance.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options

Just to reiterate - this thread is 8 years old.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Just to reiterate - this thread is 8 years old.

Maybe this will help?

2sobzwvr46b3.gif