How to get over being embarrassed working out in public?

Options

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I am active because I want to be healthy and if someone wants to judge me or look at me funny...so be it. I know its difficult, but put it out of your mind. Stay positive and know in your heart that ultimately you are doing something positive for your health.

By the way I started working out in smaller environments so I could focus on me (without other distractions). I work one-to-one with a trainer and take pilates (classes are 12 or less). I don't know if that is an option for you, but it may take some of the stress of working out in a gym away. I like the individual attention and being able to do more than one activity. Next month I'm trying a pure barre class!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    Honestly just doing it and getting through your anxiety is the only thing you can do. I see changing my health as part of facing my fears. The gym intimidated me and my first goal was just walking in the door and going in the locker room. I stuck around but couldn't figure out some of the machines. I signed up for a free appointment with a trainer and it helped a lot to have a plan. I was definitely nervous for awhile but no one pays attention to me aside of a nod or smile. It's not recommended but I do my cardio first, it burns off my stress and anxiety. I second going at off-hours to get started if you can. Having great playlists helps a lot too. I'm still feeling a little out-of-place when it comes to straying from my workout bench in the free weight area but I just started working through that. Walking outside gets easier too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    At times I go out and work out in a park. Nobody pays attention to me even if I grunt, or do something clumsy.
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I put my ear buds in and go for it. Gym or local trail. I'm getting fit for me. You just got to stop caring what everyone else sees when they see you. Start caring more about yourself, your why, your goal and keep focus on that. Nothing else matters.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Today, I fell at the gym while doing pull thrus...so not only was I doing a weird butt exercise...I tipped over, hit the floor, and made a huge banging sound when the plates fell on the machine.

I mean you are welcome to think of this when you start to feel embarrased. It was pretty comical.

I regularly fart loudly deadlifting. Also wee a bit.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ignore everyone and listen to loud music. i find it helps to go to a gym with regular people. its hard to feel ackward when you are exercising next to a obese man, a teenager and a woman in her 80s
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't usually work out in public because I prefer to work in the comfort of my own home, but I wouldn't mind doing it if I had to. People have seen me, fat and all, every time I stepped outside. People don't magically gain vision when I start working out, they see me when I work out in public just like they see me when I'm grocery shopping. Both grocery shopping and being at the gym are just people doing their thing at the appropriate place for that thing.

What made your high school gym experience intimidating? Maybe if you start there it will help you understand why you're having this issue and what can be done to make it easier. Mental blocks can be stubborn and hard to reason with, especially if you're trying to handle them on the surface. Maybe understanding the root of it will help make things easier.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Today, I fell at the gym while doing pull thrus...so not only was I doing a weird butt exercise...I tipped over, hit the floor, and made a huge banging sound when the plates fell on the machine.

I mean you are welcome to think of this when you start to feel embarrased. It was pretty comical.

I regularly fart loudly deadlifting. Also wee a bit.

I also peed all over the floor when deadlifting during a powerlifting comp. A cute 25 year old guy cleaned the pee with a spray bottle and paper towels.

This was only mildly embarrassing...it was more embarrassing when he would smile at me at the gym after that b/c I think he had a little crush.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    It's like the dance floor. Everyone is wrapped up in their own thing, no one is paying attention to the other people.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I understand what you mean. When I first started working out I would be embarrassed by how much I sweated and how quickly I got out of breath. For me it wasn't so much about other people, but I was disappointed with how badly I let myself go.

Most of the time I just kept pushing, but one day I decided to do my workouts either really early or later in the day.

Also I also discovered Youtube workouts, followed by purchasing fitness dvd's. Both were great for helping me build up my strength, stamina and endurance in the privacy of my own home and I didn't have to worry about the weather.

Then I discovered that I enjoyed working out from home so I slowly build up a home gym. I'm able to workout outdoors and at home which was and still is a great fit for me.

Good luck!
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to be afraid of wearing shorts when I was running because of my jiggly thighs. I've run in capris when it was ridiculous to do so..... and then I realized.....a lot of those shorts wearing runners have jiggly thighs and I've never noticed or cared about what they look like. This summer I will wear whatever keeps my legs at the best temp!
  • sjonathans
    sjonathans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    SO....I havent gotten over the fear...I ordered some DVD's and do it all at home in my living room...
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I encourage everyone who feels like this, or who just wants a bit of a boost, to look up the Sport England This Girl Can campaign.

It is women of every size and shape having a great time doing their sport, specifically to encourage women to get involved.

It's been going a couple of years now and I think it's wonderful, really well done.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I used to be afraid of wearing shorts when I was running because of my jiggly thighs. I've run in capris when it was ridiculous to do so..... and then I realized.....a lot of those shorts wearing runners have jiggly thighs and I've never noticed or cared about what they look like. This summer I will wear whatever keeps my legs at the best temp!

Loose skin on your thighs after weight loss can be a bit uncomfortable when running though! I usually either wear mid length bike type shorts, or 2 in 1 shorts with a long liner that keeps my thighs in place.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I used to be intimidated to go to the gym because I'd always see the people that obviously spend way more time in a gym than me there. They were in great shape, worked out hard and just seemed to know what they were doing. Here I was, inexperienced, out of shape and laboring on every exercise. It definitely made me feel like I was being judged all the time.

I got over my intimidation when I realized that those people who go to the gym all the time, besides just focusing on their own workouts, most had the same understanding: To go to the gym (or doing any exercise anywhere) takes commitment and dedication. If someone new begins coming to the gym, they respect that that person has made an effort to get healthier. Do something often enough and it becomes a habit/routine. But, before you can have a habit of exercising, you almost always have to force yourself to go when you'd rather sleep in another hour, or binge watch a television show or surf the internet, etc.

When you walk thru those doors at the gym, those regulars know you made the choice to exercise and they all know the willpower it takes to do that sometimes. Just practice good gym etiquette and you almost certainly won't get hassled (or judged) by anyone there.