Don't know what to do!?

Options
Ok, last year i did a diet and cut out all bread, junk food, pasta and potatoes, and i lost alot of weight and then in the summer i gained it all back and now i am at it again and i decied to eat bread pasta and potatoes, and can't seem to lose any weight, so i am thinking about cutting out bread pasta and potatoes again like last year!? just wanted to see what people thought of me just doing it like i did last year! Thanks!!

Replies

• kitteerae
    kitteerae Posts: 65
    Options
    Ok, last year i did a diet and cut out all bread, junk food, pasta and potatoes, and i lost alot of weight and then in the summer i gained it all back and now i am at it again and i decied to eat bread pasta and potatoes, and can't seem to lose any weight, so i am thinking about cutting out bread pasta and potatoes again like last year!? just wanted to see what people thought of me just doing it like i did last year! Thanks!!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    when u added back in those carbs last year did you continue your excercise or did you stop it?.....if ur planning to continue to excercise and push yourself once you reach your goal weight you should have no problem adding back in carbs as long as you eat proper portions.:drinker:
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    You need to balance food out more, if you take someone away your body craves, you see you gained the weight back...Are u using the MFP food diary, thats helps alot, you really get a balanced amount of food, Try MFP and I bet you see a difference
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    LIke everyone else says, its about balance and making lasting changes. That said, if you are serious about going the low carb route, you should check out one of the low carb eating plans. This might be a good place to start: http://www.proteinpower.com/ If you really cut down carbs and then decide to reintroduce them to your diet, you must do so slowly, while continually monitoring your weight. If you start to gain, you have either reached your carb ceiling, or you must increase your activity level. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • beagle595
    beagle595 Posts: 226
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of food but don't over indulge either. Try 100% whole wheat bread and 1/2 sweet Potato once in a while. Depriving yourself of one entire food group will get old really quick. I still eat Pasta once in a while... but only have 2 cups and make sure I have veggies and a salad on the side. Don't forget your water, and no late night eating. Input every calorie in your log that you put in your mouth.... And you will be on your way to losing weight healthy! :wink: Good luck and be well! Salute! :drinker:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    As everyone else said don't deprive yourself. We all have foods that we just love and would hate if we could NEVER have again. I love sweets and if you plan it out with your calories and exercise you have have them from time to time in moderation. My kids love this snack called "puppy chow" and if I make it I can not say no to it. So I make sure to measure how much I eat, and figure it into my calories and don't deprive myself. Good luck.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself of food but don't over indulge either. Try 100% whole wheat bread and 1/2 sweet Potato once in a while. Depriving yourself of one entire food group will get old really quick. I still eat Pasta once in a while... but only have 2 cups and make sure I have veggies and a salad on the side. Don't forget your water, and no late night eating. Input every calorie in your log that you put in your mouth.... And you will be on your way to losing weight healthy! :wink: Good luck and be well! Salute! :drinker:

Just a word about whole wheat bread...many "whole wheat" breads you buy at the grocery store are often still made with bleached, processed flour and then have caramel coloring added back in to make them brown. Basically, no different than any old white bread with one more chemical added to it. I'd look for 100% whole grain bread if you're going to eat bread...just my thoughts.

M
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do DON"T CUT CARBS COMPLETELY! Carbohydrates are required for the brain to function properly and without them you can go into a comma and die. That actually happened to a girl at my college. That's one of the big problems with Atikins.
  • mgullette
    Options
    Whatever you do DON"T CUT CARBS COMPLETELY! Carbohydrates are required for the brain to function properly and without them you can go into a comma and die. That actually happened to a girl at my college. That's one of the big problems with Atikins.

You eat carbs on Atkins...from nutrient-rich vegetables. Unless you're eating meat and ONLY meat, there's no way you would be getting no carbs from food (which Atkins DOES not recommend).
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Atkins does not require you to stop eating carbs. It asks you to eat healthy carbs, and carbs from whole foods and grains. It asks you to cut out processed sugars and be aware of what you're putting in your mouth.
  • Kimono
    Options

I too have never really understood Atikins. I even heard Bob on BL say, sedentary people lose weight on low carb diets. I think we all know that is not the kind of lifestyle we want to lead. Carbs are not the enemy. Potatoes are not bad, they are very rich in potassium 750 mg!! We have probably all known that banana's have a lot of potassium and they come in at 450 mg.

A plain, seven-ounce baked potato eaten with the skin provides nearly 50 percent of vitamins C and B6 recommended for adults each day, as well as plenty of potassium and nearly 5 grams of fiber--all for only 220 calories and zero grams of fat.
  • mgullette
    Options

I too have never really understood Atikins. I even heard Bob on BL say, sedentary people lose weight on low carb diets. I think we all know that is not the kind of lifestyle we want to lead. Carbs are not the enemy. Potatoes are not bad, they are very rich in potassium 750 mg!! We have probably all known that banana's have a lot of potassium and they come in at 450 mg.

A plain, seven-ounce baked potato eaten with the skin provides nearly 50 percent of vitamins C and B6 recommended for adults each day, as well as plenty of potassium and nearly 5 grams of fiber--all for only 220 calories and zero grams of fat.

I don't think potatoes are the enemy either...it's what we do with them that's the problem. :wink:

Baked potatoes usually come with some friends like butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits for many people.

Or we fry them and then dip them in ketchup...or cover them with cheese. I like plain baked potatoes too but I just don't know many people who eat them plain.
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Just a word about whole wheat bread...many "whole wheat" breads you buy at the grocery store are often still made with bleached, processed flour and then have caramel coloring added back in to make them brown. Basically, no different than any old white bread with one more chemical added to it. I'd look for 100% whole grain bread if you're going to eat bread...just my thoughts.

M

I agree! Look for whole grains! Whole grain pasta is realy good too! Everything in moderation! There are many foods with "good carbs":flowerforyou: !
  • Kimono
    Options
    True a lot of people do pile junk on their potatoes. But I do eat them plain. My daughter doesn't like the skin, so I get that too. Yummy.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to cut carbs out of your diet. And if you plan on building any muscle they are vital.

That being said (and some people already touched on it a bit in this topic), you should be smart about your choices.

Make sure you are eating the right sized portions, eat a balanced diet including a healthy amount of carbs, protein, and fats. Eat the right SIZED meals (by that I mean, making sure you aren't eating 2 or 3 large meals a day that your body can't correctly use as energy, far better to eat 3 moderate meals and 3 smaller, but still balanced snacks), and incorporate healthy snacks into your daily routine. If you do these things, exercise regularly at a decent intensity, add a little weight training or resistance, and keep a modest deficit to your calories, you will gradually lose weight. NOT only will you lose weight, you will do it healthy, you will be able to sustain it easilly, and you will feel better, be stronger, and not play havoc with your body chemistry.

cheers
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

M

I agree! Look for whole grains! Whole grain pasta is realy good too! Everything in moderation! There are many foods with "good carbs":flowerforyou: !
    me too! love the extra texture we gain from switching over to the whole wheat type!! Got a much better flavor:drinker:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no reason to cut carbs out of your diet. And if you plan on building any muscle they are vital.

That being said (and some people already touched on it a bit in this topic), you should be smart about your choices.

Make sure you are eating the right sized portions, eat a balanced diet including a healthy amount of carbs, protein, and fats. Eat the right SIZED meals (by that I mean, making sure you aren't eating 2 or 3 large meals a day that your body can't correctly use as energy, far better to eat 3 moderate meals and 3 smaller, but still balanced snacks), and incorporate healthy snacks into your daily routine. If you do these things, exercise regularly at a decent intensity, add a little weight training or resistance, and keep a modest deficit to your calories, you will gradually lose weight. NOT only will you lose weight, you will do it healthy, you will be able to sustain it easilly, and you will feel better, be stronger, and not play havoc with your body chemistry.

cheers
    :drinker: What HE Said:wink::happy: ...always good info from that Banks guy!!:tongue::bigsmile: :laugh:

I see many helpful tips from others on here as well...
    no carbs = no energy:sad: for workouts!

FC:heart:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It didn't work last year, it was only a temporary fix. Why are you thinking of doing it again this year?

My PT was just telling me that a new study just came out on weight loss based on years of research testing mutiple variables to determine the best program for weight loss. The finding were simply eat less, exercise more. You have to create a calorie deficit. Nothing else: not pills, not fancy diet plan fads like the Zone, Atkins etc, not eating nothing but grapefruit or cutting out pasta or any other quick fix program will work.

You have to be honest with yourself about how much and at what intensity you are exercising and about what and how much you are eating. Be consistent and be patient. The weight will come off.

Good luck!
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat. About 6 years ago I did Atkins, lost 40lbs, got comfortable and gained most of it back. I decided this weekend to try it again. I've been counting calories and exercising for quite awhile now, but just not losing. So this time I'm going to follow Atkins and watch when I start gaining again, then I will know how many carbs I can have. Good luck to you, and to me. Keep us posted.:happy: