food vitamin and nutrient totals?

Options
i just started today. the database doesn't appear to provide nutrient and vitamin amounts for foods searched. am i correct or am i missing something?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,218 Member
    Options
    i just started today. the database doesn't appear to provide nutrient and vitamin amounts for foods searched. am i correct or am i missing something?

The database is crowd-sourced, but many/most entries should have the nutritional information that's on the label (for food products) or you should be able to find an entry with USDA-type complete information.

When you say it isn't there, what do you mean? Did you put the food in your food diary and see zeros all the way across? Or are you just looking at the selection list (which just has name & calories)? Or, if you click on an entry on the selection list, in some versions of the app you need to click an option to see the full nutritonal listing (such as it is), if you want to look before adding it to your diary.
  • xxxpopeyexxx
    xxxpopeyexxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

The database is crowd-sourced, but many/most entries should have the nutritional information that's on the label (for food products) or you should be able to find an entry with USDA-type complete information.

When you say it isn't there, what do you mean? Did you put the food in your food diary and see zeros all the way across? Or are you just looking at the selection list (which just has name & calories)? Or, if you click on an entry on the selection list, in some versions of the app you need to click an option to see the full nutritonal listing (such as it is), if you want to look before adding it to your diary.

when i enter a food from the database in my diary it just shows Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar. it doesn't give the complete nutrient and vitamin amounts, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

when i enter a food from the database in my diary it just shows Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar. it doesn't give the complete nutrient and vitamin amounts, etc.

If you click on the food in your diary (in the phone app but not the web app), you'll see all the nutrition breakout that's available (which still might not be everything you want, I don't know). Also, in the phone app you can look in the Nutrition menu option, nutrients tab, and see a weekly or daily summary. In the web app, the Reports menu option lets you get reports nutrient by nutrient. You can also customize what columns show in your diary, to show the things that are most important to you personally.
  • xxxpopeyexxx
    Options
    ok, it looks like you need a premium account.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I believe that Premium uses the exact same food database as free MFP, so the exact same nutrients, though it gives you some more diet-tweaking and monitoring options.

Things that aren't on food labels are not going to be in the database. Have you considered cronometer?
  • xxxpopeyexxx
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I believe that Premium uses the exact same food database as free MFP, so the exact same nutrients, though it gives you some more diet-tweaking and monitoring options.

Things that aren't on food labels are not going to be in the database. Have you considered cronometer?

ok, cronometer looks like it give the complete profile for a meal and food. thank you.