Running

Woke up at 5am. Walk/ran 2 miles on treadmill at 14.5 minutes a mile. Goal is to get to a run mile of 13 minutes. Any advise from anyone?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The best way to get faster is more running. Don't add too many miles all at once and don't focus on going fast -- you want to be doing most of your miles at a pace that feels easy and sustainable. With more time on your feet, the speed will come.
  • joycelynns1
    joycelynns1 Posts: 11 Member
    How many times a week would you recommend?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Three days a week is usually a good goal for a beginner: https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20845020/how-to-get-started-as-a-runner/
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Per a quick google, there's an app called Runcoach which evidently gives you a free adaptive training plan.

If you haven't already I highly recommend looking into professionally fit shoes from a specialty running store, at least for an initial fitting to get an idea for a good make/model/size for your gait.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Welcome to the world of running!!! :) A lot of people use the program C25k ( Couch to 5k). I personally have never used it. I agree with janejellyroll three days a week as a beginner is great. The general rule of thumb is do not add any speed or distance over 10% per week. Take your time and enjoy the fact that you can run. I completely agree with steveko89 with regards to good shoes and best way to get that is have a gait analysis.
  • joycelynns1
    Thank you everyone. I have new running shoes from a local store called Get Fit. They did have me run and walk for them before they recommended shoes. They recommended Brooks and Asics. I went with the Ascis for now.

I found a beginner 5k training plan from runners world. I have also heard of the C25K program. Will look at it as well.

I am very excited about running. I walk all the time and have a good base to start. Today is the only day I was on the treadmill though for this week. This weekend and coming up spring break I will start with the 3 days a week!

Joyce
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    Consistency is key! Starting off walk/running like you did today is a great way to ease into it, and as you keep it up you'll need to walk less and less. Don't do too much too fast or you could get injured. Running is my favorite form of mental health, welcome to the fold :)
  • joycelynns1
    Thank you susanpiper57! :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Thank you everyone. I have new running shoes from a local store called Get Fit. They did have me run and walk for them before they recommended shoes. They recommended Brooks and Asics. I went with the Ascis for now.

I found a beginner 5k training plan from runners world. I have also heard of the C25K program. Will look at it as well.

I am very excited about running. I walk all the time and have a good base to start. Today is the only day I was on the treadmill though for this week. This weekend and coming up spring break I will start with the 3 days a week!

Joyce

It sounds like you are off to a great start! My only advice is to take it easy and remember there will be bad days. Try to push thru the bad days (slowly :D ) and before long you will running further and faster than you ever imagined. Runs that seem impossible now will be mere warmups in a year.

Good luck.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    One more thought... If you haven't already check around your neighborhood for run groups and training groups. You may find them on social media, at local races, or your local running store. Having equally crazy friends makes running even more enjoyable. :D
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Definitely follow a couch to 5k plan, it’s so good to build up your endurance whilst also ensuring you don’t go off course trying to do too much too soon and get injured.
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    ManufacturingMyMojo Posts: 22 Member
    When I began, I would set time limits for jogging and walking intervals. I increased my jogging intervals and decreased walking intervals by 15-30 seconds every week. I started out with 1 mile runs and increased mileage roughly every 4-6 weeks. I’ve heard of an app called couch to 5k which essentially follows the same progression. Also, pay attention and listen to your body to avoid injury. Invest in a pair of good running shoes and learn some runners stretches.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Excellent advice already given.

Also run slow to start with. Go even slower than you currently are. Most people when running start going too fast. You should be able to have a conversation when running. So slow slow slow.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

Joyce

It sounds like you are off to a great start! My only advice is to take it easy and remember there will be bad days. Try to push thru the bad days (slowly :D ) and before long you will running further and faster than you ever imagined. Runs that seem impossible now will be mere warmups in a year.

Good luck.

This is important advice. Don't expect that every run is going to be faster/farther/better than the last. You will have days that your body is just not feeling it and doesn't want to do what you are asking it to do. The important thing is to just go with it and don't let it get you discouraged. You will get there, but it does take time and patience. Best of luck!
  • joycelynns1
    Thank you everyone! I managed to get 3 miles this morning before work. Treadmill. I am looking forward to running outside. I'm inclined to run trails but will run 5Ks wherever they may be ;)
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you everyone! I managed to get 3 miles this morning before work. Treadmill. I am looking forward to running outside. I'm inclined to run trails but will run 5Ks wherever they may be ;)

I find it sooo much easier to run outside. Treadmill gets boring after about 7 minutes for me. Outside I have better focal points. :) Looks like you are doing just fine!
  • joycelynns1
    Thank you midgetgrl72280 for the response! Tomorrow will be another 3 in the morninguqwkl6kqcezz.jpg
  • joycelynns1
    sorry...didn't mean to make the pic so big...hehehehe
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited March 2020
    I also run on the treadmill. It's starting to get nicer outside so at some point soon I will make the switch to early morning runs, whereas now I'm running at the gym during my lunch break. I am using the C25K program, I'm almost done with it (week 7 out of 8). I've done the program before, but when I got pregnant this last time I gave up running, so I had to start from the beginning again. I used to think the treadmill was dreadfully boring but this time I listen to an audiobook while I'm running and I enjoy it quite a bit...
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Sounds like you are headed in the right direction and lots of great advice on here. I agree with the Couch to 5k, I did that years ago and it made me love running! Lately, I have been going to the gym and starting with a 2 mile warm up on the treadmill before weights. It it long and boring and SO SLOW! I seem to run at snail speed on a treadmill - when I run outside my pace is easily 2 minutes faster. So keep that in mind too. Try doing a bit of both and compare which you like better.
    Also, keep in mind that for every awesome amazing run - you might have a handful of not so great runs. But those awesome runs make keeping at it totally worth it! Good luck.