Ounces in a chicken breast

Options
How many oz. are in an average skinless/boneless chicken breast? (I don't have a food scale) When I log a chicken breast the automatic serving size says 4 oz. rather than one fillet, but a tilapia fillet logs in at 3 oz. My chicken serving is way larger than my tilapia serving. Should I just log the chicken as 8 oz. to be on the safe side?

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    I would invest in a scale. The size varies a LOT. I got mine at Target for like $10 or less.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I just got a scale and discovered that the chicken breasts we've been buying are not 6oz as I had thought, but indeed 7.5oz. If you want to be on the safe side, I'd go for 8oz. Better to budget for more than too little.
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    food scale will make a huge impact if you are keeping track to the oz or gram
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I used to log my chicken breasts as 4 oz, and then I bought a scale...OMG, not even close. Anywhere from 7 to 10 oz. Seriously, a $20 food scale is a necessity for accurate calories. Another one is 2 oz of pasta...compared to what I used to eat?? Yikes.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Look at the number of ounces in the packages, and the number of breasts.... That's what I do.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I can eyeball breast size, but I'd need to see 'em.
  • elliecolorado
    Options
    I have found that the 'average' chicken breast is usually 6-9oz.
  • phyllis5
    phyllis5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been told that 4oz of any meat should look like a deck of card....height and lenght. I use this eye ball for meats if I don't have a scale handy (like vacation and when I'm not eating at home)....but with a scale you can't go wrong....good luck!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I buy a pack of chicken breasts I usually get on that's smaller, around 4-5, then most of 'em are around 6-7, and then usually one on the larger side, around 8 or so. So weighing is always your best option.
  • debbieriddick123
    Options
    One boneless skinless chicken tenderlion is about 4 ounces not a full breast which is 7-9 oz
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    A food scale is definitely worth the investment.

I also get the Perdue Perfect Portions chicken breasts. They come individually wrapped and are 140 cal for each breast. Saves me some time sometimes!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    A food scale is definitely worth the investment.

I also get the Perdue Perfect Portions chicken breasts. They come individually wrapped and are 140 cal for each breast. Saves me some time sometimes!

Food. Scale.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Look at the number of ounces in the packages, and the number of breasts.... That's what I do.

This. Some of the breasts I've had were almost 16 oz. Those chickens had some big hooters!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I now buy pre-packaged, hand trimmed, organic 4 oz chicken breasts, to save myself time and hassle. If for some reason I just buy regular chicken breasts, I look at the weight on the package and figure out how many ounces per chicken breast, and break the chicken down into close to 4 oz servings. It's been my experience that most chicken breasts are around 8 oz per breast so I usually butterfly 1 chicken breast into two servings, this saves calories, money and cooking time!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I can eyeball breast size, but I'd need to see 'em.

http://instantrimshot.com
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale that measures ounces and grams. You can get them at Walmart, Target or similar stores.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It varies, but those things are usually 6-8 oz. Pretty much never 4. It's pure protein for the most part so if you're off by a bit it really doesn't matter. 24 calories never killed anybody
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

This. Some of the breasts I've had were almost 16 oz. Those chickens had some big hooters!

:laugh:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I think the dark meat is heavier!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think the dark meat is heavier!!
    But it's the tastiest. Nom nom nom. I tend to go for chicken thighs instead - tastier and cheaper. Just weigh and log the calories.