Here we go again...

Options
Here we go again! I started eating healthy again back in January, February I started exercising again. 2 weeks ago started logging again because I wasn't seeing much improvement. To date, I do between 13,000 and 20,000 steps a day and I was logging 1700 calories, moved it up to 1900 and got mad and just moved it back down to 1715. I'm 5'8 240ish pounds. I say "ish" because I started at 243, got down to 238 and it is back up consistently at 240/1. I'm so tired. 3 solid pounds in 8 weeks and my ankle hurting from all my walking and jogging uphill is super disappointing. I need to do weights more, I have weights and resistance bands but don't use them regularly. I THOUGHT I was in deficit from burning an average for 800 a day but I don't know what the problem is. I need suggestions and motivation! I expected slow progress by month 3, not week 2! :(

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, only thing I can offer is make sure you're logging every single thing as accurately as possible. Using a scale? You're doing way more exercise than I am, I eat around 1350-1450 cal. a day and am staying pretty near my maintenance weight. (Unless I have an off day, which seems to be increasing lately). BTW, I'm 5'9", around 133 lbs.
  • jbreeze85
    jbreeze85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use a scale and measuring cups. I am guilty of eyeballing small things like veggies and cuts of meat but that's why I am overcompensating with the steps to burn more calories. For just in case, ya know? I could lower my calorie I take lower than 1700 but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to.
  • jbreeze85
    Options
    Thank you so much! Ya, it is hard! I walk a lot because I have a herniated disc so a lot of exercise hurt my back. It's definitely been a struggle and a guessing game. Thanks for your kind words and informative reply!
  • am152011
    am152011 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you want an accountability partner :)
  • PumpkinSage
    PumpkinSage Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you're tired, so make sure you are drinking enough water to stay hydrated and take daily vitamins. You are totally worth all this effort😊
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You have put a lot of stress on your body and you are almost certainly not eating enough to fuel your level of activity.

Try not to think of weight loss as something you need to force. Try to think of it as something that you allow to happen by eating in a mild calorie deficit. You can lose weight staying in bed all day eating nothing but treat food if you end up in a calorie deficit. That would not be ideal for long term fitness or nutrition but if you can accept that it is possible you realize you don't have to try and strangle results out of a bathroom scale.

Be kind to yourself. You will be losing weight for some time but after that you will hopefully be maintaining that weight loss for the rest of your life. I believe in making choices that you believe you can live with now and for the foreseeable future.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Since I got a scale, I almost never use a measuring cup except as a scoop. I also believe you are pushing yourself too hard. Using your height, weight, and gender, I get a BMR for you between 1700 and 1820ish, depending on age. "Sedentary" puts your daily burn to 2200. You risk giving up if you keep pushing so hard with the exercise. Your sore ankle is a warning. Maybe cut down the walking significantly until the ankle heals, then develop a walking routine that allows you to build your endurance back up. You are likely carrying extra water weight b/c of all that walking. So slow down and enjoy the view--aim for 3-5 miles at first (6000-10000 steps) once healed, expect your weight loss to be 80% due to eating less and 20% due to exercise.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • jbreeze85
    Options
    I just noticed new posts! Thanks everyone! Since my original post, I finally decided to really cut my sugars, not just counting calories but now sugars as well. Not including natural sugars, I average 13 grams a day, under the 24 grams recommendation. In 5 days I dropped 8 pounds! Sugar was holding me back! I'm now at 10 pounds lost, still struggling to get more to drop. I was trying to hit a personal goal of 30 days of 10k steps or more but had to stop at 22 days because my back started spasming too much. I've scaled back on walking but pulled out my desk bike, so I'm working on that. My next step is to drop my carb macros to 25%. I'm not sure what else to do with this stubborn fat! It just doesn't want to leave me! I'm an endomorph body type and it's proving to be just as difficult as they say. I'll keep posting if anyone is interested in updates. Thanks again!
  • jbreeze85
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You have put a lot of stress on your body and you are almost certainly not eating enough to fuel your level of activity.

Try not to think of weight loss as something you need to force. Try to think of it as something that you allow to happen by eating in a mild calorie deficit. You can lose weight staying in bed all day eating nothing but treat food if you end up in a calorie deficit. That would not be ideal for long term fitness or nutrition but if you can accept that it is possible you realize you don't have to try and strangle results out of a bathroom scale.

Be kind to yourself. You will be losing weight for some time but after that you will hopefully be maintaining that weight loss for the rest of your life. I believe in making choices that you believe you can live with now and for the foreseeable future.

Ya, I struggle with if I'm eating enough. 1900 seems like it's a lot already! I dont want to bump it up and then undo my work by gaining. I'm just not sure! Trying to.just go with the flow but it's hard when another month has passed and nothing has changed. I might bump it to 2000 just to try!
  • jbreeze85
    Options
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Since I got a scale, I almost never use a measuring cup except as a scoop. I also believe you are pushing yourself too hard. Using your height, weight, and gender, I get a BMR for you between 1700 and 1820ish, depending on age. "Sedentary" puts your daily burn to 2200. You risk giving up if you keep pushing so hard with the exercise. Your sore ankle is a warning. Maybe cut down the walking significantly until the ankle heals, then develop a walking routine that allows you to build your endurance back up. You are likely carrying extra water weight b/c of all that walking. So slow down and enjoy the view--aim for 3-5 miles at first (6000-10000 steps) once healed, expect your weight loss to be 80% due to eating less and 20% due to exercise.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I sure will! Like I said in a different reply, I struggle with if I'm eating too much or too little. Right now I'm at 1900 (I'm 34 if you wondered) scaled back on the walking but doing exercise bike for at least 30 minutes. I eat radishes, greens, wide variety of meat, cheese, fruits and veggies. Cut my processed sugar to under recommended amount. We'll see what happens! I'm all ears for more suggestions!
  • jbreeze85
    Options
    You mentioned that you're tired, so make sure you are drinking enough water to stay hydrated and take daily vitamins. You are totally worth all this effort😊

More tired of not losing than tired in itself! Lol! But yes! I take vitamins and strive for at least 64 oz water, usually between 64 and 80! Thanks for your reply!