Knee pain and have a half marathon in five days

Options
Hi,

After a long run a few weeks ago I started suffering knee pain. I rested it for a week and just attempted a run now but it was too painful to go on longer than 10 minutes. It doesn't really hurt when I'm not running, only once I start. It's mainly in my knee but this time the pain started travelling down the outside of my leg.

I have a half marathon on Sunday and I've worked incredibly hard for this so will be so upset if I can't do it. Other than rest, is there anything I can do to try and make it better for Sunday?

Thank you!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No just one of those situations that more than likely won't get better in this short of time.

If you feel the risk is too much to run that distance for your current training and you only miss one half marathon in the course of your career running, it wouldn't be the end.

Perhaps take the time to dissect what if anything could be done from this point forward. Perhaps more appropriate programming and load management.
  • MoniqueHoltman
    MoniqueHoltman Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    No just one of those situations that more than likely won't get better in this short of time.

If you feel the risk is too much to run that distance for your current training and you only miss one half marathon in the course of your career running, it wouldn't be the end.

Perhaps take the time to dissect what if anything could be done from this point forward. Perhaps more appropriate programming and load management.

I have to have a major operation in May which is probably going to take me out for the rest of the year which is why I wanted to do this event so much. I think I've just been overdoing it because I wanted to do it so much. Lesson learned!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How disappointing.
    Without a diagnosis the only sensible route is to rest (possibly anti-inflammatory meds too) and then decide whether to scratch from the event.
    The difficulty is that some minor injuries hurt a lot but aren't ultimately serious and some are the complete opposite.

You could get a diagnosis (a good sports physio would be my #1 choice) and then depending if their advice was it's going to be painful but no lasting damage then decide one way or the other.
    Personally I would want a diagnosis anyway whether I did this particular event or not.

If you do decide to attempt the event then do have a bail out plan (someone ready to pick you up).

Best of luck.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    If possible see if you can get seen by a physiotherapist asap. I had horrific knee pain after my first HM, turned out it was from severely contractured muscles in my calves and quads.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately things don't typically heal in less than a week. You could try staying off it as much as possible and applying some heat occasionally, but if you've truly suffered an injury best estimate for recovery from most injuries is 4 to 6 weeks.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an IT band issue... When I first started running, I had a similar problem that I was able to clear up relatively quickly with some IT exercises - unfortunately, 5 days doesn't sound like enough time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a half marathon on Sunday and I've worked incredibly hard for this so will be so upset if I can't do it. Other than rest, is there anything I can do to try and make it better for Sunday?

Thank you!

I'm with the others, it's unlikely to heal in this short of a time frame. Not running a race is a bitter pill to swallow but is sometimes necessary (I had my first DNF last year and I hated it....) Have you considered walking it?

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that's not fun. When I've had knee pain in the past, it was transient, and could often be worked out with some stretching. If that's not the case, and the pain is pretty intense (causing you to stop running), then sitting it out might be best (or walking it as someone else said, but that's definitely not the same enjoyment). On the other hand, I've had some pretty intense pains that didn't last long, and I was able to do what I thought I couldn't, but that could be setting yourself up for increased injury.

You could rest up now and then give it a test drive the day before?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Missing race day can be challenging but as others mentioned it may be better for your long-term health and running goals. Also, depending on how large your event it, you can ask event organizers if you can still come but instead of run help with the event (pass out water, provide the t-shirt/race swag, etc) AND get a refund. For some folks running is exciting but so is race prep.
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    How disappointing.
    Without a diagnosis the only sensible route is to rest (possibly anti-inflammatory meds too) and then decide whether to scratch from the event.
    The difficulty is that some minor injuries hurt a lot but aren't ultimately serious and some are the complete opposite.

You could get a diagnosis (a good sports physio would be my #1 choice) and then depending if their advice was it's going to be painful but no lasting damage then decide one way or the other.
    Personally I would want a diagnosis anyway whether I did this particular event or not.

If you do decide to attempt the event then do have a bail out plan (someone ready to pick you up).

Best of luck.

I'm waiting to hear back from my osteopath to see if he can squeeze me in this week. Definitely can't hurt to get a professional opinion so will see what he says and then decide what to do on Sunday based on that. Thank you!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    If possible see if you can get seen by a physiotherapist asap. I had horrific knee pain after my first HM, turned out it was from severely contractured muscles in my calves and quads.

I'm trying to get an appointment now. Thank you! Hopefully it's nothing too serious!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Unfortunately things don't typically heal in less than a week. You could try staying off it as much as possible and applying some heat occasionally, but if you've truly suffered an injury best estimate for recovery from most injuries is 4 to 6 weeks.

Am definitely going to rest it. Got a couple suggestions to try but will just have to see how I feel on Sunday. Such a shame, my first proper running injury and I do it just before what would have been my first half marathon!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Sounds like an IT band issue... When I first started running, I had a similar problem that I was able to clear up relatively quickly with some IT exercises - unfortunately, 5 days doesn't sound like enough time.

I suspected IT band as well. Am going to try everything I can, including the exercises and will just have to assess how I feel on Sunday morning. Thanks!

• MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you!

I'm with the others, it's unlikely to heal in this short of a time frame. Not running a race is a bitter pill to swallow but is sometimes necessary (I had my first DNF last year and I hated it....) Have you considered walking it?

Walking it might be my only option. I am waiting for a date for an operation which is why it's even harder to just suck it up and miss the race! Definitely won't be in a fit state to run another half marathon for a long time after my op!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    Ugh, that's not fun. When I've had knee pain in the past, it was transient, and could often be worked out with some stretching. If that's not the case, and the pain is pretty intense (causing you to stop running), then sitting it out might be best (or walking it as someone else said, but that's definitely not the same enjoyment). On the other hand, I've had some pretty intense pains that didn't last long, and I was able to do what I thought I couldn't, but that could be setting yourself up for increased injury.

You could rest up now and then give it a test drive the day before?

Thank you! Am definitely going to give it a good rest and try to get an appointment with my osteopath this week. Plenty of ice, foam rolling and anti-inflammatories and hope for the best. If I have to walk it then I guess I just have to accept it!
  • MoniqueHoltman
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Missing race day can be challenging but as others mentioned it may be better for your long-term health and running goals. Also, depending on how large your event it, you can ask event organizers if you can still come but instead of run help with the event (pass out water, provide the t-shirt/race swag, etc) AND get a refund. For some folks running is exciting but so is race prep.

Thank you! Hadn't thought about volunteering. Will be jealous of all the other runners but at least I'd still get to be part of the day!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Probably try done icing. Look into KT tape this week and during the event. Their website explains how to use it for different injuries. Be mentally prepared for done walk intervals. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

Am definitely going to rest it. Got a couple suggestions to try but will just have to see how I feel on Sunday. Such a shame, my first proper running injury and I do it just before what would have been my first half marathon!

I was injured two weeks before my first sprint triathlon that I had been training for months for and couldn't participate. It sucked, but at the same time there was a silver lining or two...one, it taught me that I had to manage my training load better and two, I ended up falling in love with cycling during my training.

That was almost 7 years ago. I never did end up doing a sprint tri, but I took up cycling in earnest and raced and participated in numerous cycling events over the next 5 years or so. I'm over the whole race and event thing now and just cycle and mountain bike for fun and fitness...I'll occasionally do a 25 mile road event or something...but moral of the story, it sucks but there will always be future races. Unfortunately, injury comes with the territory of competitive training
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would try and get in to see a doc if you can. Better to know if there is a major issue that needs addressed that will cause more harm if you push it or not.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Hi,

After a long run a few weeks ago I started suffering knee pain. I rested it for a week and just attempted a run now but it was too painful to go on longer than 10 minutes. It doesn't really hurt when I'm not running, only once I start. It's mainly in my knee but this time the pain started travelling down the outside of my leg.

Thank you!

Do you have good running shoes?

Edit: I am just reading ur responses of surgery. Best of luck to u