losing weight while taking antidepressant medication

Options
I gained 40 pounds 10 years ago on antidepressants. i switched to a different type of medicine but still can't lose the weight. Has anyone here lost weight while still taking t]antidepressants? I'm so frustrated and feel like nobody can help me.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories, or keeping a log of what you eat?
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @dadoflily - Sorry to say, I never managed it. My initial weight gain was due to antidepressants. Each time I went on them I gained about 7-10 lbs. I thought when I came off them the weight would drop off. It didn't. But if I'm honest that's partly because I had picked up very bad habits on them - gorging on the carbs they make you crave and sleeping too long; moving way too slowly. I'm trying hard to turn that around and slowly the weight is coming off. What worked for me is cutting out refined carbs because if you don't eat them you are way less likely to get the cravings, even with the medication setting them off. For me that is no white flour 9not bread or pasta) and no refined sugar. But you might find you have different triggers.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've lost all my weight while on antidepressants. the only one i couldn't was remeron because it made me so ravenous. even with medication, it is still eating at a calorie deficit
    weigh and track your food. eat a deficit. you will lose weight
  • sjonathans
    sjonathans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the type you are on...Certain ones made me gain, some helped me loose actually. The one I am currently on doesn't seem to affect me personally one way or another.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost weight about 6 years ago, no medication. Put back on a lot of weight without medication. Last year, I started taking a mild dose. Prozac (generic).

I feel if anything, the psychological effect on my general anxiety has allowed me to mange my weight better, not restrict as much, and stay focus on my weight management. My doctor also said the drug will not affect my weight, but depending on my relationship with food, I may eat more or less as a result of the lessened anxiety.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Disclaimed: I have only tried Prozac (generic) and my doctor recommended it to me after disclosing MY concerns which are personal to me, which include hair pulling, lip biting, and, historically, binging and purging. All I'm saying is it may not be for you, and we may just eat different when you feel better!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eryn0x wrote: »
    Yes. I lost weight about 6 years ago, no medication. Put back on a lot of weight without medication. Last year, I started taking a mild dose. Prozac (generic).

I feel if anything, the psychological effect on my general anxiety has allowed me to mange my weight better, not restrict as much, and stay focus on my weight management. My doctor also said the drug will not affect my weight, but depending on my relationship with food, I may eat more or less as a result of the lessened anxiety.
    this is generally the case. there is very little evidence that it affects the metabolism. but it can affect the appetite
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I take Seroquel which has been linked to both weightloss and gain.

I don't know if I gained weight when I first went on it. I was in such a terrible state I have no idea what I weighed, I know I wasn't eating right, often not at all. I didn't sleep for a week solid before I finally got on it. What I do know is while on it I have I have successfully lost 20lbs now that I've finally put some real thought and effort. I think to a point with any medication we have to be mindful of what we are saying and doing so we can counter some impulses.