Keto- carb slip up yesterday

Options
I've been doing keto for roughly 2 months now, and it's been going great so far. It's easy for me to stick to and I've been eating more healthy/homemade meals than before.

I did however go out to dinner with some friends yesterday, and didn't do my research before hand. Basically I had a big plate of chicken wings without realizing they were breaded. Totally broke my streak.

No big deal, I'll brush myself off and get back to it tommorow/today. I did have a moment of thinking "well, I might as well go home and have an ice cream sandwich that are in the freezer since today is a hella cheat day" but I held myself back!

But then... My siblings brought out my ultimate weakness. Poore Brother's Salt and Vinegar potato chips. I could eat half a bag in one go, no joke. I kept it to just one serving (14 chips) and then left and brushed my teeth.

I don't regret my choices, all things considered I think I did well and I'll do better in the future. Now, I'm just noticing how poorly my stomach seems to be handling the carbs. Just super acidic stomach sloshing around, burping, and feeling just generally unpleasant.

Has anyone else on keto noticed similar adverse reactions to carb slip ups? It just seems somewhat extreme for a handful of potatoes. 😂

Replies

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    You are strong willed! 🏋️‍♀️
    If that's good for you, get back to it as if nothing happened. In the big picture, that's like a drop of water in a lake.
    I can't do keto, because I have vegan days and would not come through without carbs. Or so I think...
  • dhampir_princess
    dhampir_princess Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    I know that some people DO do vegan keto, but I haven't ever been vegan or vegetarian so I don't even know where to start trying to keto-fy that way of eating.

Thanks for the encouragement too!
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    You are strong willed! 🏋️‍♀️
    If that's good for you, get back to it as if nothing happened. In the big picture, that's like a drop of water in a lake.
    I can't do keto, because I have vegan days and would not come through without carbs. Or so I think...

You can do vegan keto I've seen it on YouTube and Instagram. I mean keto has never interested me. But it's possible
  • dhampir_princess
    dhampir_princess Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Carb slip up, like carbs are the food of the devil...no...not a slip up you chose to eat carbs, so what?! Probably the salt and vinegar flavouring gave you the acidic reaction, who knows...I need carbs for my training and to have enough energy as I am pretty active...I do not think demonising a macro is helpful. It sounds like you are punishing yourself "broke my streak....will do better in the future"

I do know/have heard of folks who do keto then carb up again, either get the runs or are constipated, so it does cause issues with digestion and follow through....

If restricting macros (namely carbs) is causing black and white thinking, do you think that this is a good thing? Also if you are in a deficit still, then why worry? You will still lose fat/weight...weight loss via keto is still based on the fact that you are eating less calories, no?

Lol "carb slip up" was referring to eating breaded chicken wings which I DIDN'T mean to do, not the chips I ate afterwards. That. That was a conscious, delicious decision.
    (「`・ω・)「

And I'm definitely not punishing myself. I don't feel guilty at all. Like with any sort of diet, I went over my intended limits (on accident, then on purpose) and today on a new day I'm going to do better. I'm not beating myself up, I'm just resetting my resolve to eat healthy, to eat a calorie deficit, and (because I've chosen to do keto) avoid eating a lot of carbs.

As for my upset stomach, I don't think it was the salt and vinegar flavor in and of itself because I have vinegar on veggies and salad all the time...
    ╮(^▽^)╭ Who knows though?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    One meal and 14 chips is not gonna mess you up. Just don’t fall into a habit. Make your own keto chips, radish or kale chips with salt and vinegar ( this is good bc you need salt on keto) on a side note I’m doing vegan keto and I think if you have gone two months without a slip up then you are a rock star 🥰😍. Adjusting to keto is a process!