Can anyone give me feedback on this beginner weight routine?

I am a beginner at lifting weights.
41yo female, CW 216lbs, aiming for 165lbs. I am 5 ft 9 inches.
My gym is Planet Fitness, so I have some limitations on what is available.

And obviously, once things start to get easier I will increase reps or increase reps.
I found this on Muscle & Fitness website, but then modified it based on the machines available at my gym, and based on what areas were least crowded.

I do each set 3x, with the plan being to go to the gym 3x a week

I am just looking for feedback on whether or not anything is missing or if I am doing too much or too little of something. Any thoughts are appreciated, Thank you!

Goblet Squat 8lbs @10 reps
Leg press 100lbs @ 12 reps
Glute kickback 30 lbs @ 12 reps
Machine calf extension 60 lbs @ 8 reps
Lat Pull Down 50 lbs @ 12 reps
Machine Shoulder Press 40 lbs @ 10 reps
Bent Over Two dumbbell row 10 lbs @ 12 reps
Machine Chest Press 60 lbs @ 12 reps
Dumbbell Bicep Curl 10 lbs @ 12 reps

Replies

• happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    The program is full body - with a good emphasis on lower body. You have a plan to increase sets and/or reps, your frequency at 3x a week is perfect and you've modified it to suit your needs.

That's good in anyone's book!

If a successful program is one you like and stick to then this looks like it is!

There is a community compiled thread with a compilation of systematic lifting programs. As soon as you are able to switch to something more structured, you should give it a read.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Looks good overall. The leg press is a bit redundant with the squats, so i'd probably swap it out for lunges or stationary lunges, and replace kickbacks with the Romanian deadlift, which is a more functional movement. If you're short on time, you can reduce the # of curl & calf sets, since they're less important. The ab wheel ($7) is good for the abs, which you can do at home. :+1:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Pretty good. The dumbbell curl isn't needed as you're making the biceps work in the pulldown and row.

Also, the top 3 leg exercises you listed are redundant.
    I'd do either the goblet squat or leg press (maybe alternate each session), and add a leg curl.

The general principle is you want a push and a pull movement along the 3 axis of movement: above head, straight out from chest, and below the waist. So that's six well-chosen compound exercises and you've worked the body.