Self teaching dance/ballet

Being sober I needed hobbies to keep busy so I fell in love with roller skating (4 wheels) but some moves required flexibility. So stretching lead to dance, leading to contemprary dance, which brought it back to ballet. So, anyone a ballet veteran that can recommend a good youtube ballet instructor for an adult? I dont have money for dance studios since I spent $800 on personal fitness trainer last summer. Any other advice for me? I am nearly to a full split, I can back bend, cartwheel, I'm working on feet positions.To say the least, skating gave me ballet *yaay* and I'm staying! I am ready to dive in! Teach me something ;)

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    I haven't taken a ballet class since I was 13 but a few years ago I bought the New York City Ballet Workout Volume 2 DVD and really liked it. It's formatted similar to an actual class with a warm-up, stretching, barre, and some combination work. It's available on YouTube now (so is Volume 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8fv_jaE0Q

I'm glad you asked this because now that I know it's on YouTube I might start doing it a few times a week. I'm in a cancan group but we only practice once a week and I'd like to start doing some other dance based exercises for conditioning!
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Kathryn Morgan has some good ballet exercise videos.

With ballet in particular, precise body positioning is very important, so do take your time learning how your body should feel in various positions. If you compare the progression of skills acquisition in a modern or jazz dance class vs ballet it can feel like ballet progresses very slowly because you are spending so much time working on learning that perfect body alignment. Learning that does body awareness translates well into any other activity you might do, though.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    I can't help with an instructor, but I will give this advice:

1. Learn French if you haven't already. The literal definition of the moves can sometimes help you feel it.
    2. Your "feet positions" are actually rotations starting at the hip. Don't force turnout or you can wreck your knees.
    3. Start a ballet fund. Many ballet companies offer beginner adult classes to cover some of their overhead costs.
  • JadePunisher
    JadePunisher Posts: 6 Member
    These are all so helpful! Thank you all so much!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited March 2020
    Youtube channel:
    Lazy dancer tips
    (HEY! I need to strengthen my feet and ballet dancers have foot strengthening exercises.)