What's the best way to count the calories for "cooked rice"?

Options
I eat rice with almost every meal (2 oz), I see that all calorie counts for cooked rice are different though I put the same weight.

Any idea how I can determine what is the most accurate?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weigh the rice dry before cooking and then weigh it after. You can then portion your servings out of the total.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Weigh the rice dry before cooking and then weigh it after. You can then portion your servings out of the total.

Yes, but if you search the MFP database for "cooked rice" for example every single result gives you a different calorie count for the same weight.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    weight3049 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Yes, but if you search the MFP database for "cooked rice" for example every single result gives you a different calorie count for the same weight.

Weigh it dry first, and use an entry for uncooked rice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    or use the most accurate cooked rice for the sort of cooked rice you have - brown, white, type etc

As long as you are picking a reliable entry.

(I'm sure the data base has many different entries for uncooked rice too - you have to make sure entry you are suing is a reliable one for everything)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,679 Member
    Options
    There are 19 entries for "rice dry", require all words in the SR Legacy USDA database and 21 in the "rice cooked" section once you limit the results to just the SR Legacy database.

The SR Legacy database entries are probably some of the most accurate ones in the MFP database and can, usually, be found by typing the exact wording of an entry in MFP.

Cooked rice weight varies with amount of water absorbed.

The amount of water absorbed varies by type of rice, method of cooking, and even whether sodium was added during the cooking process or not.

The calories in a batch of cooked rice will remain the ones it started with when it was dry.

While most entries are going to be good enough for government work, this is an everyday item for you, so it may be worth it to you to spend a few minutes to nail it down.

FoodData Central is the sorry excuse for a new database interface that the USDA has decided to foist upon us moving forward: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem as you OP. I just use the USDA database now and search for "cooked (brown or white) rice."