Cycling 🚴🏻‍♂️ 🚴🏻‍♀️

The_Usual_Suspects
The_Usual_Suspects Posts: 139 Member
edited March 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Just a general cycling thread.

Who here likes cycling? Show us your bike 😎. Talk anything cycling related. Etc.

Replies

• vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Scott Addict R3
    Main.jpg

and a Cube Cross Race Cmpt (Customized)
    (Changed wheels to DT-Swiss P1800, breaks and levers to Ultegra hydraulics)

Cube_Cross_Race_black_n_white[870x500].jpg?forceSize=true&forceAspectRatio=true
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Oh mate, where do I start...my current whip is a Focus Mare Apex 1. CX bike...can take this baby most places and its fast enough for road cycling.

zxb6k4ljfz27.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Boardman fast road hybrid for local errands and urban use.

Just bought a Trek Proclimber 8 MTB as going to give off road a try.

Specialized Roubaix with disc brakes mostly for winter and bad weather use - I love disc brakes as easier to modulate braking power right up to point of lockup.

Bike above was an insurance replacement for the next bike which was written off by an idiot car driver but later rebuilt with new forks and fast carbon wheels. It's my main bike for fast and long distance rides and will clock up 10,000 miles shortly.

b17wkt9p44hc.jpg

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    Recreational trail rider.

I have Trek that a bought for $350 thirty years ago. Barely holding together, but fun times when it's not rubbing cars.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,479 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Whoa, hey! I'm not about to start cycling 150 miles non-stop. I do this for fun but not to kill myself 😂

Very few of us do ride 150 miles non-stop. I've cycled a lot ... but I've never done that. Even if you're just riding a little bit, you can join that challenge. :)

• vollkornbloedchen
    sijomial wrote: »
    Specialized Roubaix with disc brakes

Had it as test-bike during my last vacation. Found it a little too soft in the tail when going down a mountain road (admittedly with more than 75 km/h) Loved the brakes though. That's why the Cube got them instantly.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    I started road biking last summer and loved it! I did 1000 mi last year at age 64. Eagerly awaiting a break in the weather so we can get out there again! I have a Raleigh Capris named “The Pink Troll” and s Cannondale hybrid named “Silverbird” that I’ve used for a couple of basic dirt/gravel trails.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Depends how long the ride is! Today was just over 100k in just over 4 hours and about 1900
  • sijomial
    For those of you could track how many calories you burn during training, on average how much do you burn during a ride when you go cycling outside?

Dividing Garmin's calories for last year by hours cycled - 542cals per hour.
    Dividing Garmin's calories by rides = 816cals per ride.
    The real average numbers for all my cycling will be lower than that as I don't use Garmin for my general bimbling about rides so these numbers are only reflecting my more serious/training rides indoors and out.

Indoors I tend not to train for more than an hour as it's a boring (but necessary) evil and range would be roughly 500 - 800 depending on intensity, steady state or intervals, duration.
    It's rare I will hit 1,000 net cals indoors.

I mostly use power meters for calorie burns so above are largely net cal estimates rather than gross cal estimates.

Outdoors range is massive from 100 to 3,600 cals as the range of durations/distances is so wide.
  • sijomial
    Do you guys think longer, steady rate cycling with massive amounts of caloric burn will burn up muscle gains?

No, muscle isn't used as fuel without serious underfeeding, it's the underfeeding that is the potential problem not the exercise.

Training/recovery impact yes - which might mean you gain less muscle in the first place. For example in the main cycling season I rarely do any lower body strength/weight training as my legs need recovery so I could be missing out on some hypertrophy.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    For those of you could track how many calories you burn during training, on average how much do you burn during a ride when you go cycling outside?

About 500 kCal per hour on average. I'll ride for 3 to 4 hours on a good day. I have a power meter (Vector 2 pedals) so that's +/- 2.5% maximum error. Can burn at a higher rate for shorter rides, but I enjoy cycling so I'd rather cover more ground than burn myself out quickly.

I can't post a pic at the moment, I have a fondo bike, maybe you could call it half gravel. Like @sijomial I gave it nice aerodynamic wheels which are a joy to be on. I'm using hydro disc brakes and Di2.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Do you guys think longer, steady rate cycling with massive amounts of caloric burn will burn up muscle gains?

No, muscle isn't used as fuel without serious underfeeding, it's the underfeeding that is the potential problem not the exercise.

Training/recovery impact yes - which might mean you gain less muscle in the first place. For example in the main cycling season I rarely do any lower body strength/weight training as my legs need recovery so I could be missing out on some hypertrophy.

Is going on long rides (1 - 1.5 hours) every single day too much as well?

For some people, no, for others, yes. How good of cycling shape are you in?
  • NorthCascades
    edited March 2020
    I only have one bike, a Cervelo C3, Di2 Ultegra. Wheels are Enve 4.5 ARs. Also Enve SES handlebar - the tops are wing shaped and the hoods are pretty narrow. Vector 2 pedals, a bilateral power meter.

You can see the disc brakes. I feel like they make for cleaner lines - the shape of the frame isn't interrupted at both wheels. Also the back rotor is a good visual balance for the cassette. And rims for sure look better without a brake track! 🙂

37397769686_fa860f61cf_o_d.jpg

37418084934_2798eaac2a_o_d.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    lorrpb wrote: »

Is going on long rides (1 - 1.5 hours) every single day too much as well?

For some people, no, for others, yes. How good of cycling shape are you in?

What's the standard to measure/compare myself to, to determine how good of shape I'm in?

I can run longer than 1 hour without stopping at 5.5 - 6 miles per hour. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 182 pounds.

If I eat a good meal a couple hours before cycling I feel I pretty ok doing 2 hours, maybe a little longer. I'm just wondering if it's too much to burn 800+ calories with cardio every single day. I dunno, I guess I'll listen to my body and see how it responds.

Watts per kilogram.

It sounds like you're in pretty good shape. It also sounds like you enjoy riding. Just burning X number of calories won't affect how much muscle you can have it build. Your energy balance (surplus, deficit, maintenance) does. Also your ability to recover from the exercise you're doing, if you can ride and lift without digging yourself into a hole of cumulative fatigue.

Suppose you could have an extra 3 ounces of muscle after a year of you supposed riding completely. Would that be worth it? Nobody can tell you exactly how much effect it will have, but if you're eating more than you burn, doing a progressive lifting program, eating lots of protein and carbohydrates, and feel good, it's going to be a minor effect.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    nwhpw33pos72.jpg
    My commute/winter bike. I'll try and find a picture of the good bike, she's far prettier!
  • helen_goldthorpe
    es6bnoqfgvm1.jpg
    My precious...
  • vollkornbloedchen
    edited March 2020
    What's the standard to measure/compare myself to, to determine how good of shape I'm in?
    average Watts per kg body-weight (as said by @NorthCascades )
    or
    VO2 Max (ml of oxygen per kg bodyweight per minute)
  • sijomial
    average Watts per kg body-weight (as said by @NorthCascades )
    or
    VO2 Max (ml of oxygen per kg bodyweight per minute)

Also comparing your times on Strava segments can give a rough guide to your performance - I can tell I'm OK on the flat and need to improve on hill climbs.

It gets a bit skewed at the top of the rankings by people riding in a chain gang, targetting segments for KOMs/QOMs or freakish wind assistance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,479 Member

Roughly 100 calories for every 5 km. :)