Cancelled races

Options
I know in the whole scheme of things, it’s not that big of a deal, but I finally get back into great shape, and the upcoming races I’d planned on are all getting cancelled!

Oh well, I guess I’ll use this time to run outside and get into even better shape. Maybe races will be back up and running (pun intended) in a few months.

Stay healthy everyone!!

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I know in the whole scheme of things, it’s not that big of a deal, but I finally get back into great shape, and the upcoming races I’d planned on are all getting cancelled!

Oh well, I guess I’ll use this time to run outside and get into even better shape. Maybe races will be back up and running (pun intended) in a few months.

Stay healthy everyone!!
    It’s disappointing, isn’t it? I have been training for my first Sprint Tri in late April, mentally struggling to continue with set exercise plans given everything going on! (Plus my left knee has been feeling kinda funky and don’t want to push my luck with potential damage).

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I had a 15k this weekend-about as long as I can run on the street. They're offering a virtual run, or you can move it to next year. In the grand scheme of things, this is a good problem to have.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    My one kid had Tier 1 district hockey championships cancelled (with the potential to go to nationals, also cancelled). Her fallback, varsity soccer, is also cancelled, including an incredible tournament/experience in Gatlinburg. My son's JROTC field trip? Cancelled. His lacrosse season for the next 3 weeks minimum? Also cancelled. My younger daughter's Solo and Ensemble performance she's been rehearsing for? Cancelled.

My oldest daughter, at Auburn? Classes online and pray! High school for my three others? Online as of this upcoming Thursday, and pray! My son is already struggling a bit with pre-AP algebra and goes to tutoring weekly and now he has to self teach it. This is going to be awesome. Earliest return to physic schooling, possibly April 6th.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Stay healthy everyone!!
    It’s disappointing, isn’t it? I have been training for my first Sprint Tri in late April, mentally struggling to continue with set exercise plans given everything going on! (Plus my left knee has been feeling kinda funky and don’t want to push my luck with potential damage).

Keep up your training! By late April all this may well clear up. There will be a lot more tris as we move into summer. Does your knee inhibit biking or running? Can you stick to the flats while biking and/or walk rather than run, depending on which sport is affected.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Yep, tough break for just about every race in the short term. I just learned that the South Beach Triathlon is cancelled, so that pulls the plug on my first race in over a year and a vacation trip to Miami. Three of my training partners were ready for the Boston Marathon and that's off until Sept. That's very disappointing after all the work they did to qualify.

I'm hoping that by mid/late spring the race schedules will resume. And, from a big picture perspective, this is just a bump in the road.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    My marathon in April was cancelled, as were most of the races that I know about. The few that haven't probably will over the next few weeks. Marathons tend to be seasonal - spring and fall - because weather is such an issue when you are running for several hours, so that means none for me this year. I don't do well training in the heat of summer, and hate doing long runs on the TM, so I doubt I'll do a fall marathon. I was able to defer the race until next year, so at least I'm not out the money, but it was disappointing.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    10K on 3/28 cancelled and haven't heard anything regarding Marathon on 6/6
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Big Sur marathon was postponed from April 26th to late summer or early fall. I live in Ohio and have had travel plans booked for a full vacation. We will probably still go on with the travel as planned, but that leaves me up in the air as to whether I will run the make up race this year, defer to next year or bag it all together. Pretty disappointing because entry is a lottery and this has been a long time bucket race of mine.

I also had a 10k cancelled this past weekend and a half marathon cancelled for next weekend. :(
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 mile and a 5 mile race on Saturday that were changed to Virtual.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I was looking forward to a 10K in a couple weeks that I was actually traveling to.

However, a couple weeks ago when things started to speed up, I cancelled my trip and got an 100% refund on everything. Recently I learned the race was cancelled. :(

I don't do well in the heat, but hopefully I can do another in person race in the fall.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Big Sur marathon was postponed from April 26th to late summer or early fall. I live in Ohio and have had travel plans booked for a full vacation. We will probably still go on with the travel as planned, but that leaves me up in the air as to whether I will run the make up race this year, defer to next year or bag it all together. Pretty disappointing because entry is a lottery and this has been a long time bucket race of mine.

I also had a 10k cancelled this past weekend and a half marathon cancelled for next weekend. :(

That's a shame. Big Sur is a bucket list race for many.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My one kid had Tier 1 district hockey championships cancelled (with the potential to go to nationals, also cancelled). Her fallback, varsity soccer, is also cancelled, including an incredible tournament/experience in Gatlinburg. My son's JROTC field trip? Cancelled. His lacrosse season for the next 3 weeks minimum? Also cancelled. My younger daughter's Solo and Ensemble performance she's been rehearsing for? Cancelled.

My oldest daughter, at Auburn? Classes online and pray! High school for my three others? Online as of this upcoming Thursday, and pray! My son is already struggling a bit with pre-AP algebra and goes to tutoring weekly and now he has to self teach it. This is going to be awesome. Earliest return to physic schooling, possibly April 6th.

I know this isn't a substitute, but try Yay Math on YouTube. There's lectures from a cool? math teacher on specific topics up to pre calc. It helped my daughter when she struggled.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    a lot of races were cancelled by me but the one company is a bit of a rogue factor and we still had our race. and they gave away toilet paper. and the trails were marked with smiley face viruses. and so far the april 5th race is still happening
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    My half in Moab was cancelled last weekend. They offered a virtual race option. I (and many others) went anyway (travel was already paid for/only partially rebookable) and did the virtual on pretty much as close to the actual course as was safe.

CT, NY & NJ have all banned events with more than 50 participants for the next 8 weeks. The next race on my horizon is in NJ 5/14-5/15 - which is 5 days after the end of the 8 weeks. I’m not super optimistic.

At least my races aren’t difficult to get entry for (no qualifying standards or lotteries). Still a bummer though.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    My June 6th Marathon was rescheduled for September 26th. This just means I'll have more time to train.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ottawa Race Weekend has been canceled but they're inviting participants to run virual races for whatever distance they've entered and will be sending out shirts and medals. I wouldn't be surprised of the Ironman 70.3 at Mont Tremblant in June is canceled too, it gives me another year to train (pools are closed so no swimming for now) and I move up an AG.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    As of today, the Patriot half iron distance tri is still scheduled for June 20th in Mass. Message from race director posted on the website said a final "go/no go" decision will be made in the next two weeks. So I'm going to continue doing dryland swim drills until the lake water warms up a bit more. :smile:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Looks like Europe just cancelled many races out through August - I figure 2020 race season will be a wash and go from there
  • Djproulx
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Looks like Europe just cancelled many races out through August - I figure 2020 race season will be a wash and go from there

Oh boy. I guess that means not only IM NICE, but also Challenge Roth and others. Don't know how some of those races will survive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually do the 25 mile portion of the Santa Fe Century in May and that is off the table. The only other event I've been doing the last couple of years is Day of the Tread in October...so far that one is still on.