60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am in Iowa. We have had about 17 cases of Covid--all related to a cruise in Egypt--and all in Eastern Iowa. Well, there was one in western Iowa from travel to California. Then last night they announced one case of community spread (cant figure out where they got it) in our county in central Iowa. Felt a little safer when it was further away & had a definite start. Been staying in, but will need to go get my allergy shots, some medicine, & a few groceries this week.

Hope everyone stays safe.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Good Monday (equinox date) morning to all. Welcome to all our new joins, wishing you the success so many here have achieved. Your tracker is your best resource for the results your looking for. I'm truly thankful for the support of this thread. Be sure to bookmark this page and check in with us daily if you can.

Had a good week and weigh-in showed a tiny loss. Tried on some new shorts that were just a little snug when I got them a couple weeks ago and yesterday they are a perfect fit. Glad I ordered a belt on sale too for my slow losses to come.

The weather in DC area has turned more seasonally cooler, wet and dreary. My community has now notified us to limit all social contact here encouraging electronic communication to avoid the spread of colds and virus. I'm good with that, there are going to be more and more cases in my area (94 reported now) once they start to get testing done and result numbers. Until my county can start reporting hot spot areas of contamination I feel safer going out only when necessary and being precautionary. So I've been doing resistance bands, senior chair fitness and yoga exercises. Since there was a lot of activity in the community areas in spite of the requests otherwise I did my walking in my little place. Did YouTube, walked around room to room in circles, repeat, repeat. I did need to walk at a slower pace because my kitty thought it was a fun game and took short cuts around furniture to jump in front of me as I moved about.

Yesterday, the county announced the parks, golf courses, recreation centers, historic centers and community facilities will be closed for at least two weeks. I imagine the National Park Service will do the same soon. I'll so miss the parks, but understand the caution. Things are changing each day and I'll continue to react with optimism.

The good news is I've got lots of healthy, filling food and time on my hands to take care of nothing but myself. Communicating with family and friends, eating well and exercising are a great way to get thru the crisis.
    Glad I didn't become a grandmother until facetime was invented!!
    Friend Hugs <3

Stay well and take good care of yourselves. Om…
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    gvdjzo wrote: »
    I'm 62 and deciding to reclaim my health for my family. I have a long way to go 1 pound at a time. I'd like to be considered as part of this group. Thanks. Greg

Hey Greg, welcome!

I understand where you are and what you are feeling. I was there not too long ago. And I still have weigh to lose, but one pound at a time isn't so hard as it might sound to you right now. What better use could you make of your life?

Best of luck to you!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,359 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am in Iowa. We have had about 17 cases of Covid--all related to a cruise in Egypt--and all in Eastern Iowa. Well, there was one in western Iowa from travel to California. Then last night they announced one case of community spread (cant figure out where they got it) in our county in central Iowa. Felt a little safer when it was further away & had a definite start. Been staying in, but will need to go get my allergy shots, some medicine, & a few groceries this week.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Keep safeX
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,359 Member
    Options
    gvdjzo wrote: »
    I'm 62 and deciding to reclaim my health for my family. I have a long way to go 1 pound at a time. I'd like to be considered as part of this group. Thanks. Greg

Hi, I am sure you will do it but be prepared it does take time, keep logging and stay focused.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks. And so begins another work week. I can do some work at home, but not all of it. Just as well - I would go stir crazy stuck at home for days on end. Have a great week, everyone!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @annliz23 Thanks. Decided to stay in & postpone the allergy shots for now. After talking with the Dr office, it is what I am most comfortable with. I am not convinced they are helping me anyway & dh thinks I am worse since starting them. Guess I will find out. Like j29t said up thread, until they start identifying hotspots, I am fine staying in. Dh went & got the groceries. He is less susceptible to regular flu than me, so hopefully this, too.

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am with BarbieCat. Generally stay home most of time and 'school' my son. The Y here is closed so no swimming as exercise. Needed a stamp and walked to the post office and back - that was a scant 20 minutes and I need more exercise. So cold and a bit breezy that I will add 20 minutes to tomorrow's stuff. Made chili and ate some but will be having chili everyday this week as well as turkey salad. Saw a dog when out but it did not give us trouble and that was all. Scary looking though or maybe my mind is overactive. Since WW is also closed, I won't be weighing in there but my scale here (which lies) says down a pound. Church is also closed so no Family History Center tomorrow. I liked the person above who said that elderly were being given a special shopping time -- hope folks here might do that, not for me, but for those who need. Tried to think of who on street might need but no one. The older ones have gone or have large families. Anyhow a good day -- weight looks down, lots of food, and no real aches! Was a tiny bit of sun but just for looks as no heat happened.
    If you get in a bad way, I am available to be talked to.
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good evening 60 & uppers :)

It's good to see everyone is doing well. We are staying in and doing well here. Not much to report except that I am down another .8 of a pound :smiley: Every little bit helps.

gvdjzo Welcome :smiley: You will find us to be a warm and friendly bunch. You've come to the right place for support and encouragement.

Have a good night's rest everyone and sweet dreams :)

Shout out to my friends <3
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Kind of down today, but I'll get over it. Found out a little while ago that my poor sister fell and broke her wrist in two places late this afternoon, so I'm worried about her. Thank goodness her husband is back home after taking a trip, so he was there to help her. She's seeing an doctor tomorrow to see if surgery is needed. Went to the store earlier in the day and saw bare shelves - hard to belief in my small town full of practical people, but there you go. I'll be checking on plants for some neighbors for the next two weeks - they are quarantined in Peru of all places, bless their hearts. I didn't work in my yard today, but I will get back to it tomorrow. Working outside and taking walks always makes me feel better, so I need to get back to it. I'm not a socializer, so not seeing people is no big deal for me - I'd rather read, work in the yard, and work on craft projects. Lol - I need to do some massive housecleaning though, which I absolutely hate doing. But it is what it is. Onward and upwards (but not in weight!).
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) I got out in the yard and pulled some weeds also did a bit of housework . Lots of dog walking and riding the exercise bike. Turkey is almost defrosted so I can roast it on Wednesday

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • n2gardens56
    n2gardens56 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone. Welcome to all new comers, this group is a great support for me, hope you keep checking in. I am working today, but had to check in with my "people"! So good to hear everyone is doing okay during this trying time. I live in a very small town, our whole County only has about 5000 people...so no cases here yet. I work for the County government, so we have declared the emergency and started suggested protocols. Would love to be told to work from home, but has not happened yet. Most of our work is public service so would not do much good, but will probably come to that in coming weeks. Following my MFP calories and my clothes continue to fit better. Congrats to those that have seen a weight loss this week. I have kept my activity level up, still walking to work, love walking to work in the dark in the morning! I got a great hike in on Sunday to enjoy the nature. I have a little used trail near me, that I can go and be alone without human contact so I am prepared in the event there is a quarantine. Looking forward to working in my little garden and doing simple things for a while when it happens. Everyone have a blessed day and hang in there. Remember we always have each other on here for support.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Brr. Still waiting for sun and warmth. Walked this morning at oh dark thirty (well, 7:00). Food planned for day and feet under covers. Stopped by my scale and it was in a good mood.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Happy St Patrick's Day to all!
  • bacpath
    bacpath Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Happy Paddy’s Day. I went to the supermarket today. The crowd was smaller than last week, and less frantic. But there was still an air of anxiety. People were polite ( after all we are famous for that in Canada) and their carts had an appropriate amount of food, with a few exceptions. I did notice that while fresh meats, fruits and veg were sparse ( absolutely no fresh chicken??) there was plenty of pop, chocolate, chips, Doritos etc. I had the thought that if this is truly Armageddon am I going to go down without gorging on junk. Anyone else? Pleased to say I resisted.
    Good health everyone. Stay home as much as possible, save lives.
  • lynnchristy
    lynnchristy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good evening 60 & uppers :) Busy day here for us. We made a run into town for water and stopped by my sister's work and picked up her work laundry. She got us some things we needed from the grocery store she works at part-time and I figured it was the least I could do for her. Her full-time job is at the gas station/easy mart at the main corner in our little rural town and she is working 12-15 hour days, so no time to go to the laundramat. I didn't notice any bare shelves in the large grocery store we were in today.

bethe, I will be praying for your sister o:) I need to get out and do some weeding, etc. I did notice my irises are starting to come up :smiley:

barbiecat, I just roasted four huge chicken breasts, turkey sounds good :p Do you have a lot of perennials in your yard? I have quite a few, I like to get annuals for the deck and front porch each year :) You go girl and dance like nobody's watching or perhaps like they are :smiley:

n2gardens56, I love your attitude :) I think perhaps you could start your own business selling positivity (((hug)))

josephinebowman, you always make me smile :smiley: How do you get your scale into a good mood?

teresadannar, so good to see you :) Happy St. Paddy's day to you :smiley:

bacpath, I'm with you on not gorging on junk B) Happy St. Paddy's day to you, too :smiley:

Have a nice evening everyone :smiley:

Shout out to my friends <3
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    St. Patty's Day Hello.
    This morning was a little stressed. I needed to go out to an appointment, used caution and distanced as much as possible. I did stop at the store very early, they had restocked and had the dairy I was running short on. When I returned I cooked up a pot of ham and cabbage soup, yum. Put the ingredients into My Recipes Tab and hit calculate. MFP sure makes it easy. I'll enjoy leftovers for a few days knowing how many calories my big bowl of tasty filling comfort food are costing. I also planted some lettuce and basil seeds in pots to go out after danger of frost. Walked and resistance bands were my indoor exercise today.
    @RetiredAndLovingIt - hope you allergies are few since your stuck inside too
    @josephinebowman - sure is easy to track leftovers isn't it. Gonna warm up before it gets cold again
    @AnnPT77 - hope your feeling better and enjoying your peace and projects
    @lynnchristy - Great, every little bit adds up to a big loss
    @bethe - hope your Sis has a speedy recovery. Keep moving onward
    @n2gardens56 - In the tracker green, walks to work and natures trails, safe social distance. U got this
    @barbiecat - GOOD advice, to stay with routine and good habits
    @bacpath - Great resisted, not always easy
    May your troubles be less and your blessings be more and nothing but happiness come through your door.
    i2du6cjb9qnd.jpg

Stay safe everyone. Om...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    bpoyhfztjkte.jpg
    This was my stay at home project for today--meals for several days the soup for the freezer.

:) lynnchristy, my yard has daisies, daffodils, tulips, iris, hyacinth, crocus, , gladiola, and peonies