Anyone avoiding the gym because of the you-know-what virus?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Our Y has cancelled all group classes and activities. Weight and cardio rooms still open.

No one was in there friday, Saturday, or sunday 🤷‍♀️

I'm not complaining

I also live in an itty bitty town and most of the members are seniors. I'm a youngin' at 42 😂😂
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    I went this morning and there were far less people than normal. The plus side is that more people are wiping down their equipment which is a good thing.

My favorites are the people who wipe down BEFORE but not after. Saw that a few times over the weekend.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    All gyms in my state are closed after 8 pm tonight :/
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    All gyms in my state are closed after 8 pm tonight :/

Yeah we may be in the same boat. State. Whatever. At least it takes the guesswork out as to whether or not to go.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    ours have limited people. 25 is the max in aroebics, 10 in yoga, they are wiping everything down.
  • rhenry2424_
    rhenry2424_ Posts: 5 Member
    Mine is probably the cleanest it has ever been. EVERYONE wipes EVERYTHING down, and employees are constantly going around wiping more.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Gyms in the NY, NJ, CT area are closing at 8pm tonight.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    The state of Maryland has required all gyms to close by 5pm today. It’s no longer a choice.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    No choice now. All gyms in WA are now closed for at least 2 wks.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Update 1: All gyms in MD are closed as of 5pm today. So...nope, I'm not going to the gym.

Update 2: I went on a hike with my kids in the woods...I almost died from cardio.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Gyms in my city are closed now as of today
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    No need to worry. They are all shut down because Karen and Susan need to hoard toilet paper and live
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    There are no cases in my area and they have closed the schools, the Y, and all club activities in our area. I will miss the gym very much for however long. Home workouts don't seem to work for me because I don't get the focused attention that I I need to really get in a decent workout
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    When I moved here a few years ago I didn't like any of the gyms in my area so have been working on building a home gym, easy for me as for various reasons my needs are minimal.
  • kshama2001
    My beloved yoga studio just announced they are shutting down for two weeks. They’re going to put some classes up on Facebook for us to do at home. I’ve never done online classes, hope I can stay motivated.

I went to the paint store a little while ago, and was astonished to find a long line. Apparently, everyone had the same great idea as me....painting the house if we’re gonna be stuck at home anyway. They were actually sold out of a lot of “base” paints, but I got enough to keep me occupied at least a few days.
    Be smarter than me and use a proper step thingy while painting rather than jumping on and off a short filing cabinet :lol:

Will still walk and run. At least it’s open air and you don’t have to touch anything besides pounding pavement, although I do seem to have a knack lately for falling face first into it.

This should be very interesting. Will we all end up like The Shining before this is all over, I wonder? At least the house will be shiny clean and in the latest fashionable colors, too!

23c2d8a2af1bfc8e78a005e909b55bd3533e0eec.jpg
  • kshama2001
    I have been not going because I've been in a bit of a rut lately. This has not been helped by my fitness center's decision to shut down from today until March 31st. I still have been doing a share of walkng, at least while it's still safe to go outside.

Why would it stop being safe to go outside?
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited March 2020
    Guys, do you think I should still go to the gym? One of my gyms is closed, but the other is still open.

I live at home with my parents who are in their 60's, so I'm a bit worried about infecting them. My dad is currently recovering from cancer and still undergoes chemotherapy every month.

I'm considering just spending $400 to buy one of those Bowflex dumbbells so that I can just workout at home.

So far, there are 103 confirmed cases in my province (including 5 people who have recovered and 4 who have died).

Thoughts?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Don't go to the gym if you're living with an immunocompromised parent! 😯

This won't last forever and we'll all be back at the gym. Nobody knows how many people around us have the virus and haven't been tested yet. You spread the virus for several days before you feel sick, so it's easy to pick it up from people who look healthy.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Don't go to the gym if you're living with an immunocompromised parent! 😯

This won't last forever and we'll all be back at the gym. Nobody knows how many people around us have the virus and haven't been tested yet. You spread the virus for several days before you feel sick, so it's easy to pick it up from people who look healthy.

Yeah. Looks like I'm not going to be going to the gym for a while.

Tomorrow I'll be dropping by the fitness store to pick up one of those Bowflex dumbbells for $400. That way I can workout at home using some random dumbbell routine.

It sucks because the private gyms in my area aren't closing down yet... most likely because they are greedy: they know that if they close down, then they're going to have to extend peoples' memberships. Hence, they stay open and just say that they're doing their best to sanitize the equipment as much as possible... It's a "go at your own risk" kind of deal.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2020
    I went to the gym last night (YouFit) and they were still open. They did, however, scan our foreheads with some kind of thermometer stick before letting us in. The woman at the front desk said they had only turned 1 person away that day. Some guy that came in and had read a 102 temperature. (!) The guy tried to explain that he was only that warm because he'd been sitting in his car. The temp outside yesterday was only in the 50s so they were like, Nope.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Guys, do you think I should still go to the gym? One of my gyms is closed, but the other is still open.

I live at home with my parents who are in their 60's, so I'm a bit worried about infecting them. My dad is currently recovering from cancer and still undergoes chemotherapy every month.

I'm considering just spending $400 to buy one of those Bowflex dumbbells so that I can just workout at home.

So far, there are 103 confirmed cases in my province (including 5 people who have recovered and 4 who have died).

Thoughts?

For your dad's sake, just stay home. Anyone undergoing chemo has a compromised immune system. Don't take the risk. There are plenty of great free workouts available on youtube. I know it sucks having to stay inside. It's only been a couple days and my family is already bickering.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,216 Member
    Mine officially closed last night. Which I totally understand. Thankful they are posting at home workouts for us.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,373 Member
    My gym has closed for the duration
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Most of my local gyms are closed, and any that are still open can have more than 25 people in them. My gym closed over the weekend
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited March 2020
    I haven't been to the gym in a week and a half now :( I need to start running outside but it's been rainy and yucky for the last week or so. I'm very limited on time because I have three kids including a baby. This sucks.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I was in Canada for a few days and came home last night to the news that gyms (and a number of other things) are closed for the time being. Prior to that news, I had planned prepping my own more-effective surface wipes for machines/cycles and planned on non-peak-time attendance (it helps being retired for flexible timing). However, being in the target group (over 65, with issues), I was also thinking it prudent not even going before I returned to the closure news. At least outside isn't closed and I can walk or ride my bike. This is a pic of a trailside "gym" at Sandy Hook, NJ - maybe that's my alternative as things warm up, lol!

hccgtf9gea4o.jpg
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    My gym is still open, but I have a non-refundable dance retreat planned for the end of April. This means I am not taking the chance of getting sick. I will workout from home until that event has passed. I’ve been looking forward to it since last November.

Also, I still want to be able to visit my grandparents and my nephews. This is only temporary and I do have things at home to get a workout in. I can’t lift, but body weight and bands and kettlebells will have to do for now.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Gym closed by government order "til further notice". Taking to the roads