Anyone avoiding the gym because of the you-know-what virus?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Our Y has cancelled all group classes and activities. Weight and cardio rooms still open.

No one was in there friday, Saturday, or sunday 🤷‍♀️

I'm not complaining

I also live in an itty bitty town and most of the members are seniors. I'm a youngin' at 42 😂😂
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    I went this morning and there were far less people than normal. The plus side is that more people are wiping down their equipment which is a good thing.

My favorites are the people who wipe down BEFORE but not after. Saw that a few times over the weekend.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    All gyms in my state are closed after 8 pm tonight :/
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    All gyms in my state are closed after 8 pm tonight :/

Yeah we may be in the same boat. State. Whatever. At least it takes the guesswork out as to whether or not to go.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    ours have limited people. 25 is the max in aroebics, 10 in yoga, they are wiping everything down.
  • rhenry2424_
    rhenry2424_ Posts: 5 Member
    Mine is probably the cleanest it has ever been. EVERYONE wipes EVERYTHING down, and employees are constantly going around wiping more.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Gyms in the NY, NJ, CT area are closing at 8pm tonight.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    The state of Maryland has required all gyms to close by 5pm today. It’s no longer a choice.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    No choice now. All gyms in WA are now closed for at least 2 wks.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Update 1: All gyms in MD are closed as of 5pm today. So...nope, I'm not going to the gym.

Update 2: I went on a hike with my kids in the woods...I almost died from cardio.
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Gyms in my city are closed now as of today
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    No need to worry. They are all shut down because Karen and Susan need to hoard toilet paper and live
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    There are no cases in my area and they have closed the schools, the Y, and all club activities in our area. I will miss the gym very much for however long. Home workouts don't seem to work for me because I don't get the focused attention that I I need to really get in a decent workout
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    When I moved here a few years ago I didn't like any of the gyms in my area so have been working on building a home gym, easy for me as for various reasons my needs are minimal.
  • kshama2001
    My beloved yoga studio just announced they are shutting down for two weeks. They’re going to put some classes up on Facebook for us to do at home. I’ve never done online classes, hope I can stay motivated.

I went to the paint store a little while ago, and was astonished to find a long line. Apparently, everyone had the same great idea as me....painting the house if we’re gonna be stuck at home anyway. They were actually sold out of a lot of “base” paints, but I got enough to keep me occupied at least a few days.
    Be smarter than me and use a proper step thingy while painting rather than jumping on and off a short filing cabinet :lol:

Will still walk and run. At least it’s open air and you don’t have to touch anything besides pounding pavement, although I do seem to have a knack lately for falling face first into it.

This should be very interesting. Will we all end up like The Shining before this is all over, I wonder? At least the house will be shiny clean and in the latest fashionable colors, too!

23c2d8a2af1bfc8e78a005e909b55bd3533e0eec.jpg
  • kshama2001
    I have been not going because I've been in a bit of a rut lately. This has not been helped by my fitness center's decision to shut down from today until March 31st. I still have been doing a share of walkng, at least while it's still safe to go outside.

Why would it stop being safe to go outside?
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited March 2020
    Guys, do you think I should still go to the gym? One of my gyms is closed, but the other is still open.

I live at home with my parents who are in their 60's, so I'm a bit worried about infecting them. My dad is currently recovering from cancer and still undergoes chemotherapy every month.

I'm considering just spending $400 to buy one of those Bowflex dumbbells so that I can just workout at home.

So far, there are 103 confirmed cases in my province (including 5 people who have recovered and 4 who have died).

Thoughts?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Don't go to the gym if you're living with an immunocompromised parent! 😯

This won't last forever and we'll all be back at the gym. Nobody knows how many people around us have the virus and haven't been tested yet. You spread the virus for several days before you feel sick, so it's easy to pick it up from people who look healthy.