Silver Lining of the Coronadovirus

Options

Replies

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The Silver Lining is we already know how the story ends...

We come back from this as a society and species, stronger and better than ever... It's just unavoidable!

There is just too many hard working, brilliant people on this planet to defeat us...

And we may be kinda on the ropes right now but we are far from down and the battle is far from over...

Love this!

We do get the occasional hour of airplanes flying over the village during certain wind directions. Nothing too bad but it is noticeable living near an airport.

Haven't seen or heard a plane for days now.
    😴
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    As the wife of a teacher, I hope that people who are stuck home with their kids trying to homeschool realize how hard it is to teach children and that teachers deserve to be paid more.

@midlomel1971

In you humble opinion, how much do you think teachers should earn, salary wise?

I have my own opinion on the subject...... just wondering if we're of like minds.

For the sake of discussion, let's just take a first year, full-time, teacher with a their 4 year degree.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Blockbuster video is waiving all late fees

This vhs copy of Striptease is staying with me boys :sunglasses:

VHS, huh?

I dunno.... I still think Betamax is the better format; but that's just me.

We ALL know laser disc is where it’s at bro

Ha.... I was hitting up a thrift store looking for vintage albums and ran across about 50 laser discs.

Somebody had dropped off an entire collection. I was tempted to buy a couple just for the cover art, but I passed.

I’ve ran across a few at half price books that I almost picked up just because- I mean it’s a 33 version of a dvd - 😂 maybe I’ll find an old rig one day and start a laser disc collection- it’ll be glorious

They had Full Metal Jacket on laserdisc, the cover art was brilliant.

Yeah - shoulda picked that one up dude - I bet you coulda got whatever you wanted for $10

@cowsfan12

Yeah, I thought that it would have been cool.

...... but then again, I don't need a lot of clutter in my life.

In fact, the less gear I need to manage, the happier I am.

I'm thinking that it's good to have just a few, very nice things as possessions, instead of a lot of simply interesting items.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    As the wife of a teacher, I hope that people who are stuck home with their kids trying to homeschool realize how hard it is to teach children and that teachers deserve to be paid more.

@midlomel1971

I have my own opinion on the subject...... just wondering if we're of like minds.

For the sake of discussion, let's just take a first year, full-time, teacher with a their 4 year degree.

I'll ask my husband and get back to you. They ought to get more than they do now and I think it should also depend on the class size.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    Blockbuster video is waiving all late fees

This vhs copy of Striptease is staying with me boys :sunglasses:

VHS, huh?

I dunno.... I still think Betamax is the better format; but that's just me.

We ALL know laser disc is where it’s at bro

Ha.... I was hitting up a thrift store looking for vintage albums and ran across about 50 laser discs.

Somebody had dropped off an entire collection. I was tempted to buy a couple just for the cover art, but I passed.

I’ve ran across a few at half price books that I almost picked up just because- I mean it’s a 33 version of a dvd - 😂 maybe I’ll find an old rig one day and start a laser disc collection- it’ll be glorious

They had Full Metal Jacket on laserdisc, the cover art was brilliant.

Yeah - shoulda picked that one up dude - I bet you coulda got whatever you wanted for $10

@cowsfan12

Yeah, I thought that it would have been cool.

...... but then again, I don't need a lot of clutter in my life.

In fact, the less gear I need to manage, the happier I am.

I'm thinking that it's good to have just a few, very nice things as possessions, instead of a lot of simply interesting items.

Yeah I get it - less is more sometimes as they say
  • Motorsheen
    Options

@midlomel1971

I'll ask my husband and get back to you. They ought to get more than they do now and I think it should also depend on the class size.

I think so too.

It's a matter of 'how much more'.

As it stands now, they do have a several breaks a year ( with a long Summer break ).

The benefits are typically solid and there's usually a pension.

The working environment is usually pretty safe and comfortable.

During the school year, they are working their tails off with lesson prep, classroom and crowd management & grading.

Then factor in the importance and influence of what they do.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options

@midlomel1971

I think so too.

As it stands now, they do have a several breaks a year ( with a long Summer break ).

During the school year, they are working their tails off with lesson prep, classroom and crowd management & grading.

A lot do get pension - but they pay into the pension in lieu of social security and so once they start taking it the social security is offset usually almost completely- also at least the teachers around here the benefits aren’t great and pretty expensive - as for breaks they do get seemingly a lot of that time goes into professional development and what not - id say they should get at least 20k more a year for what they do as I think it’s an important job but not paid as such - my ex was a teacher so my opinion maybe a bit biased 🤷‍♂️
  • Motorsheen
    Options

@midlomel1971

I think so too.

A lot do get pension - but they pay into the pension in lieu of social security and so once they start taking it the social security is offset usually almost completely- also at least the teachers around here the benefits aren’t great and pretty expensive - as for breaks they do get seemingly a lot of that time goes into professional development and what not - id say they should get at least 20k more a year for what they do as I think it’s an important job but not paid as such - my ex was a teacher so my opinion maybe a bit biased 🤷‍♂️

That was pretty much the exact number I had in mind....

I was thinking an additional 20 to 25 to 30K based upon experience and level of education.

I've also seen APs double up as Athletic Directors without a lot of additional compensation.
    It seems like an Athletic Director position, at a major High School, is a full-time job by itself.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    1sphere wrote: »
    silver lining of the what now?

That corolla virus thats been in the news
    kqhg7yp3330c.png
    It's definitely concerning... ensure that you maintain social distancing.

Get it on...

cisl1wu3py5o.jpg
  • DoomSlayer2020
    DoomSlayer2020 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Gas is getting super cheap, paid $1.83 for gas on Sunday!
  • that_night_in_paris
    that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Well I saw less drivers on the road this morning

Unfortunately they still drove like idiots
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you count the work that teachers do, for after school activities at school & their grading papers/creating lesson plans at home, they don't get any time off. Plus the time & money that they spend purchasing supplies, for their classes themselves. They need a raise, just to cover that expense.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow’s conference call regarding customer satisfaction surveys and credit card application numbers has been canceled. Which is good because #1 I’m pretty sure I’m going to be on the naughty list and #2 I have a hard time pretending to care at the best of times
  • that_night_in_paris
    that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched a knicks game in 2 weeks

Need I say more?
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,013 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Man I wish that were true around here. I honestly don’t know how the teachers do it at all. It’s hostile, dangerous. The kids LITERALLY wander the halls and hangout in the cafeteria, assault the staff(I’m thinking of a middle school a relative works at in particular). My tenant had been an elementary teacher many years and quit cuz she couldn’t take it. She likely would have worked another 6-8 yrs if it weren’t madness. The climate is just awful. Morale is at an all time low. I feel so badly for the teachers/staff and kids who aren’t causing trouble. (I have a pity for the “bad” kids too). I wish they could be paid more. Our district is already stretched so thin, making cuts, asking for more money. I don’t know what the answer is.