Will a quarantine affect your physical and mental health?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I am not worried about physical health. Not being able to run outside would be awful, but I'm set up for exercise inside that I enjoy and would have extra time not having to commute. I also have largely hoarded (not really) foods that make weight loss/maintenance easier for me and would have added incentive to focus on cooking.

I am worried about mental health. I get down when I stay at home and reduce human contact more than a couple of days, and the thought of working from home has always been something I dreaded even though I can entertain myself pretty well (and have a great book collection). The obsession with the virus doesn't really help my mental health, of course.

For work-related reasons, I've been going to work this week -- couldn't do what I'm doing from home nearly as well. If a certain court pushes deadlines that will likely end after tomorrow, but more likely (barring state action which I do not currently expect to come that soon), it will end after Friday. I'm liking work at the moment as I can drive in (I probably took public transit longer than I should have), the office is mostly empty (I am social distancing there), but there is some human interaction necessarily and I am able to maintain a routine and feeling of normality more than otherwise. Been washing my hands obsessively, of course.

One thing we've been talking about at my workplace (largely by phone) is how to maintain productivity and -- more important -- a feeling of connection and teamwork, and are instituting regular calls (smaller and larger groups) and ways to check on each other. I'm doing that with others too, but have just never been a phone person so it's more challenging in general. I bet we move more to stuff like Skype too, which in the past I would have been resistant too, but think might be a good idea.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,569 Member
    Options
    I basically use my DVD collection and YouTube to do a workout or 2 first thing, then I walk in front of the TV while I watch a show. I try to walk a lot during the day, taking the dogs out and around the house. I'm trying to plan meals around the groceries we have, using fresh produce first, then pantry items. Cleaning, organizing, laundry...a little reading for fun.

Just try to keep busy and out of the snacks. Making a schedule kind of helps. I do worry about how much strength I'll lose while away from the weight room, and how long it will take to get it back.

It seems employers are really trying to take care of employees, so not worrying too much about income atm. Even insurance companies covering virus related costs. I just hope this is resolved soon.

This is me exactly, I get up and do a workout to start the day off with 5000 steps, have DVDs and You Tube workouts I'm doing, and I'm worried about losing ground in the gym! Has Fit has some good strength training ones if you have dumbbells but my heaviest at home is 10lbs and I use more at the gym. I have recipes marked for what I have in the house, just have to decide what I want to make next. Thank goodness for books and TV (I march in front of the TV during shows too!), though I was on a Robin Cook streak (medical thrillers) and that's not the best to be reading right now! I've been decluttering this year so that keeps me busy too.

Mentally, sticking to a schedule can definitely help, the routine is good for the mind. I struggle with anxiety and depression and making sleep a priority, exercising every day, and staying busy helps a lot. It's been hard not being able to get out of the house and am actually looking forward to going to the grocery store later this week though I'm dreading it too!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Other than my kids already being super-bored, it hasn't yet.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Personally with living in a rural location, no nearby neighbours it wont feel much different. We have plans to continue more DIY around the house and get the garden ship shape if we do have to self isolate and have time on our hands... neither of us can work remotely due to the nature of our jobs.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Physically no - I’m a cyclist and all winter a lot of my training has been at home on my turbo trainer. At this time of year I normally start riding outside more but I can carry on riding inside. I also have a coach who is adapting my training to take account of changes to my routine.

Mentally possibly, we will see, but having training to focus on (and for now having work to do from home) will probably help.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    The difference between full lock-down quarantine and our normal routine has been so minimal for me and my wife that we've been wondering this past week if we really need to get out more.

My husband made a comment like this last night. He was already working from home and it wasn't uncommon for him to have days where he didn't leave the apartment at all. Other than his favorite restaurant being closed and having to cancel his ongoing game night, his life is pretty much the same!
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm still working as usual and won't be quarantined unless (until?) I actually get Covid-19. The traffic during my commute is much lighter so that is less stressful. I have a home gym so working out is the same as well...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    My brother is mentally ill and about 6 years back his meds stopped working. That was a very stressful time for us all. My mom's IBS flared up then, and it is back now.