Silver Lining of the Coronadovirus

Options

Replies

• Yvonnecooper30
    Yvonnecooper30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing some real spring cleaning... :-)
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched a knicks game in 2 weeks

Need I say more?

Well if your a knicks fan that’s prolly a good thing right - I mean it’s the knicks - I cant really talk though as the last few mavs seasons have been rough -
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

The working environment is usually pretty safe and comfortable.

Man I wish that were true around here. I honestly don’t know how the teachers do it at all. It’s hostile, dangerous. The kids LITERALLY wander the halls and hangout in the cafeteria, assault the staff(I’m thinking of a middle school a relative works at in particular). My tenant had been an elementary teacher many years and quit cuz she couldn’t take it. She likely would have worked another 6-8 yrs if it weren’t madness. The climate is just awful. Morale is at an all time low. I feel so badly for the teachers/staff and kids who aren’t causing trouble. (I have a pity for the “bad” kids too). I wish they could be paid more. Our district is already stretched so thin, making cuts, asking for more money. I don’t know what the answer is.

Same at the ex’s school it’s rough and turn over is high -
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,013 Member
    Options
    Silver lining....I saw quite a lot of people out walking/running/biking while I took a walk. And several families walking dogs. Way more than I normally see in 30-40 degree weather.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I have been home working on my garden on my off days.

Work has been slow. Most people seem to be taking the advice to stay home if sick. There are a few stragglers though.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    Since there's no food left in stores and most restaurants are closed in NYC I'm definitely gonna lose that last 20 pounds from starvation 👍

Stay safe, Joey, you inappropriate *kitten* 😂❤️😊
  • MelG7777
    Options
    Going through WAY less gas. I’d rather still be running around but, silver lining.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options

Man I wish that were true around here. I honestly don’t know how the teachers do it at all. It’s hostile, dangerous. The kids LITERALLY wander the halls and hangout in the cafeteria, assault the staff(I’m thinking of a middle school a relative works at in particular). My tenant had been an elementary teacher many years and quit cuz she couldn’t take it. She likely would have worked another 6-8 yrs if it weren’t madness. The climate is just awful. Morale is at an all time low. I feel so badly for the teachers/staff and kids who aren’t causing trouble. (I have a pity for the “bad” kids too). I wish they could be paid more. Our district is already stretched so thin, making cuts, asking for more money. I don’t know what the answer is.

This is so true. Teachers have no ability to discipline kids anymore and the administration is too scared to discipline them. They only answer to the parents and they are afraid of getting sued. Kids can literally walk out of a classroom and do whatever they want. Teachers have no power. You can look at a kid the wrong way and get in trouble. I'm not making this stuff up. My husband is a high school teacher, a lot of our friends are teachers....I have stories that would enrage you.

Tell us a story! Please
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I got a puppy last weekend. She was very young (7.5 weeks). We are having like no accidents in the house because I am here to take her out as often as she needs. This will be the fastest I have ever house-trained a dog. Also my husband and I are office workers who are both capable of fulfilling all our job duties from home so we will continue getting our full salaries. No kids so no distractions. I have a great home gym (treadmill, recumbent bike, pull-up tower, Smith/cable machine, lots of dumbbells and kettlebells and fitness bands and random stuff like a mini-trampoline and tons of DVDs) so I can exercise the same as always. I am a hermit by nature so I am thriving. Perhaps spending too much online but I justify it by saying I am supporting small businesses.
  • MelG7777
    Options

This is so true. Teachers have no ability to discipline kids anymore and the administration is too scared to discipline them. They only answer to the parents and they are afraid of getting sued. Kids can literally walk out of a classroom and do whatever they want. Teachers have no power. You can look at a kid the wrong way and get in trouble. I'm not making this stuff up. My husband is a high school teacher, a lot of our friends are teachers....I have stories that would enrage you.

Definitely. I’m told that if you try to discipline a kid around here their mom (usually) will come up to the school and scream at the teacher/principal. My neighbor told me a teacher at her school had to park somewhere else because a parent threatened to do something to her in her car or something like that. It’s honestly risking your life and/or safety to discipline them. I don’t think I’d be brave enough. Or brave enough to work in a public school around here period.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

I believe you and this is a shame. I have 2 close friends who are teachers. Kids need to respect their elders. I don’t understand why teachers power was taken away.
  • michaelroode
    michaelroode Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No silver lining for me the stock exchange in my country is taking a beating, and I work in it so 13 to 15 hour day.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Making money ... Shipping of imports is ceasing after next month and supplies will last one month more in the islands. Our family is setting up warehouse style stores to help end buyers keep their families stocked affordably - with closures to restock and disinfect ( pathogenic cleaning protocols).

Cancellations galore is helping us with plummeting costs @ products & transportation of goods.

Eta: zero covid-19 cases to date, although NZ cases are being monitored closely due to ease of travel between the islands and NZ