Coffee anytime?

Options
I love coffee. But, recently I've limited the number of cups and the time when I drink coffee. So at the moment only 2 large cups and before 10am. Does anyone else do this?

I have noticed a general improvement in multiple things. Energy levels are more stable in the afternoon and evening. Weight loss is more stable. I'm less hungry at dinner.

What is your coffee strategy?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I do pretty much the same thing (started at the end of last year) -- only a cup or 2 in the morning vs. (before) unlimited amounts all day. I think it has helped my sleep and so I feel much more rested and energetic, and better sleep makes a huge difference in my ability to stick to a calorie goal and energy level when exercising.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm a tea drinker, and after reading about the half life of caffeine replaced my last cup of tea with decaf or a coffee alternative like Teeccino.

I like flavors, so Teeccino is great for me, but am not sure how plain coffee drinkers would like it. Here's their site https://teeccino.com and you can get a lot of the flavors on Amazon.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I drink two espressos in the morning then 1-2 cups of coffee after lunch. I usually have my last cup around 4pm unless it's Sunday then sometimes I have an espresso around 6-7pm. If I'm trying to lose I drink more, trying to gain I try to drink less (but usually unsuccessful). I don't notice a difference in sleep unless I have drip coffee after 4. Espresso seems to be ok.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For me, it’s 2 in the morning. Sometimes one around 2-3pm. Nothing after 4 bc it will interfere with my sleep.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I drink two espressos in the morning then 1-2 cups of coffee after lunch. I usually have my last cup around 4pm unless it's Sunday then sometimes I have an espresso around 6-7pm. If I'm trying to lose I drink more, trying to gain I try to drink less (but usually unsuccessful). I don't notice a difference in sleep unless I have drip coffee after 4. Espresso seems to be ok.

You are supercharged!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I drink most of a pot of coffee in the morning. I rarely drink any later, because most restaurant coffee is bad and I'm not willing to pay for good coffee.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1-2 small cups in the morning. And I have one cup mid afternoon. I also tend to stress drink coffee so I've been drinking more lately.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee all day. Now, I have between 2-3 cups before noon. If I want something hot to sip on during the afternoon, I drink caff-free green tea. If I'm dragging during the afternoon at work after a sleepless night, I will sometimes have a cup of coffee at work, but I have to be really, really tired.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I usually have 1-2 small cups in the morning. And I have one cup mid afternoon. I also tend to stress drink coffee so I've been drinking more lately.

Once I'm at home all day (likely starting tomorrow) rather in the office it will be harder not to drink coffee all day (which is weird since I like our office pods fine, although it's not as good as my at home coffee). At least I have a bunch of tea around, and of course I also drink water.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I find I've been drinking more coffee, rather than less. I wish I could find a tea that I like as well as coffee. Probably when warm weather comes, I'll be back to my 1 mug in the a.m. and iced water the rest of the day. Coffee fills me up more so tend to eat less snacky stuff, guess that's 1 pro. :) And even though I find myself drinking coffee much later in the day now, it doesn't seem to affect sleeping. My dogs do enough of that. :)
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I drink cold brew in the morning then might have a cup before working out. I switch to tea after dinner.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I find I've been drinking more coffee, rather than less. I wish I could find a tea that I like as well as coffee. Probably when warm weather comes, I'll be back to my 1 mug in the a.m. and iced water the rest of the day. Coffee fills me up more so tend to eat less snacky stuff, guess that's 1 pro. :) And even though I find myself drinking coffee much later in the day now, it doesn't seem to affect sleeping. My dogs do enough of that. :)

I have a bad habit of just making iced coffee (I make coffee and put it in the refrigerator, not really that impressive) ;-) in the summer so I tend to consume just as much unless I put limits on it for myself.

I wasn't convinced it affected my sleep either until I cut down to one cup in the morning for a while and found I really was not only waking up in the middle of the night anymore, but my overall sleep seemed deeper and more refreshing. Not saying this was the same for all, but it's why I do want to not let current events get me back into my bad habits (I was regularly drinking quite a lot, however).

I need to make iced tea (again, for me that just means I make tea and chill it) as I tend to enjoy that more than hot tea. With hot tea, even ones I really like, I often just wish it was coffee. I love coffee so much.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Yup.... all day!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I drink Ginger water tea in the afternoon. I make Ginger water from fresh root.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I drink cold brew in the morning then might have a cup before working out. I switch to tea after dinner.

There is a school of thought that drinking coffee before working out is a benefit. Moderation of course.
  • mariekenji
    mariekenji Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I drink one cup regular coffee in the morning and a decaf coffee at night. I do a b12 zipfizz drink after my morning workout.
  • martinnathanial
    martinnathanial Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On work days I have one cup when I get up at 4am, on the other days I have one when i get up and one around noon. I love coffee for the taste but still have it in moderation unfortunately.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have been drink large quantities of coffee for years. I did try an experiment for a couple of months where I quit drinking coffee in the afternoon, but I didn't notice any difference in my sleep or anything else. So I went back to drinking coffee all day. I usually have a cup before bed.

I love coffee.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I love coffee. But, recently I've limited the number of cups and the time when I drink coffee. So at the moment only 2 large cups and before 10am. Does anyone else do this?

I have noticed a general improvement in multiple things. Energy levels are more stable in the afternoon and evening. Weight loss is more stable. I'm less hungry at dinner.

What is your coffee strategy?

I am sensitive to caffeine so I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and have no more caffeine the rest of the day. Once in a great while I will get a desire for coffee mid afternoon so I will have a cup of decaf.

I went cold turkey off caffeine many years ago. I was on vacation so it was a good time. I slept 18 hours a day for the entirety of that week and was still non-functional when I went back to work. I bought caffeine tablets and took one in the morning, then cut down to 1/2. I decided I liked coffee so I started allowing myself the 2 cups but no more. If I have any caffeine in the afternoon or evening I have a hard time sleeping.