Coffee anytime?

Options
2»

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm VERY sensitive to caffeine. I'm not a coffee drinker because of the taste, but even with soda, I limit caffeinated sodas to before 12pm or else I will have trouble sleeping at night.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Espresso and perhaps some coffee, at will, until 2 pm. Mind you, "at will" hasn't gone beyond 2 servings in years.

I do feel stabilized at one but, you know...stress
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I used to be a coffee all day every day person, until they diagnosed me with ADHD and put me on adderall. Now I can do with just the one cup in the morning, if I have to and the adderall provides the brain chemicals I need to do the rest.

I can still have a cup or three of coffee and go straight to bed, but I generally only do that if I'm having problems maintaining my blood pressure in a useful human range. (At home I'm reasonably OK about maintaining salt, hydration, and potassium in the right proportions to be OK, but when I camp, it's easy to sweat too much and topple the whole stack.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I drink about 30 oz of coffee (the size of my French press) everyday in the morning only. Drink wine, water and tea the rest of the day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do that, but it's 3 cups, and before noon. More than that gives me the jitters, and later than that gives me an afternoon energy crash (which creates a vicious cycle of more coffee and more crashes and then I'm all jittery and my sleep is less restful).
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I do that, but it's 3 cups, and before noon. More than that gives me the jitters, and later than that gives me an afternoon energy crash (which creates a vicious cycle of more coffee and more crashes and then I'm all jittery and my sleep is less restful).

ME too. I call it mortgaging tomorrow. Cause the next day I have no energy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My cut-off is 4pm.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    There is supposedly a genetic component to caffeine sensitivity...
    According to a 2011 study, around 10 percent of the population carries a gene linked to higher caffeine intake. They can have large amounts of caffeine, late in the day, and not experience side effects, such as unwanted wakefulness.

I know a lot of this research around genes is still in its infancy, so take that with a grain of salt. Here's the full article:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/caffeine-sensitivity

When I submitted my DNA to determine my haplogroup you could also purchase certain gene tests for fun (e.g. "warrior" gene, genes for balding, etc.)... one of the tests was for caffeine sensitivity. I tested positive for the genes to make me hyposensitive to caffeine. In my case, this is true. I drink 3 big cups of coffee every morning, have a cold brew after work, and never get the jitters. I can also drink a huge cup of coffee before bed and I won't have any trouble falling asleep.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    There is supposedly a genetic component to caffeine sensitivity...
    According to a 2011 study, around 10 percent of the population carries a gene linked to higher caffeine intake. They can have large amounts of caffeine, late in the day, and not experience side effects, such as unwanted wakefulness.

I know a lot of this research around genes is still in its infancy, so take that with a grain of salt. Here's the full article:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/caffeine-sensitivity

When I submitted my DNA to determine my haplogroup you could also purchase certain gene tests for fun (e.g. "warrior" gene, genes for balding, etc.)... one of the tests was for caffeine sensitivity. I tested positive for the genes to make me hyposensitive to caffeine. In my case, this is true. I drink 3 big cups of coffee every morning, have a cold brew after work, and never get the jitters. I can also drink a huge cup of coffee before bed and I won't have any trouble falling asleep.

Jealous
  • sam_juggins
    sam_juggins Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    no strategy. just drink it. a lot of it.
    oaj9uchntq88.png

You may be my soul mate :smiley:
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Options
    Hazelnut Vanilla Columbian this morning.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    I never drank coffee, and thought the days of high calorie chai latte was over, til I figured out how to make a low cal latte. I’m up to three a day, including one an hour or two before bedtime.

Don’t know how much caffeine, don’t care, I’m addicted like it’s crack.

Doesn’t seem to affect sleep, maybe because I have a bowl of yogurt pudding immediately afterwards. Maybe the yogurt sucks it up, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    No strategy. I drink coffee the same as I always have. Usually 4 cups in the morning before work while I'm getting ready and that's it.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I get my caffeine from multiple sources - tea, diet Coke, and previously, coffee. I used to be able to drink coffee at all times of the day and still go to sleep at normal times. I had to stop a couple years ago because I started getting jittery and couldn't sleep at night. Coffee sends me over the top in terms of caffeine. Now, I can only drink a cup of coffee per week. I drink decaf nowadays. Triple decaf espresso everyday. It probably seems pointless to some people, but I love the taste of coffee, even decaf.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Options
    Nicaragua Free trade with a hint of Cherry today. Mmmm