Diastasis Recti

Options
My doctor said I had a diastasis recti. I asked her how much of one. She said it was too hard to tell with all the fat tissue in the way. I asked her about exercises to fix it. She insisted that they don’t work and it was something I had to live with. How do I get back into shape if I don’t know what exercises are good for me. She didn’t think it mattered if I did regular sit ups or not. She said just losing weight might help it. Where should I begin. My doctor really wasn’t much help. I can’t change doctors right now.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% diet. Plug your stats into MFP, get a food scale and start weighing and tracking your food.
  • staceynicole10
    staceynicole10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have diastasis recti. I have a 2 finger gap above my navel. My pilates instructor told it will take time to close in the gap
    It may never close fully but can be improved. She recommend for me leg raises and heel drags and leg circles etc. Stay away from crunches and sit up and anything that puts pressure on that area or cause your stomach to dome shape
  • gracetipikin
    gracetipikin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had a 3 finger separation after my last pregnancy....definitely avoid regular sit-ups and crunches. I used a 8 minute diastasis recti-safe ab workout from a youtube channel "Bodyfit by Amy" with good results, im now less than 1 finger separation after a few months.
    Counting calories, walking, and "Dance that Walk" dvds by Gina B. helped me loose 25 of the 30 post partum pounds i still had.
    It has taken me 6 months...set a goal of 10 or 15 pounds at a time, be patient with your self-you can do it!

Praying for your encouragement and sucess!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help. I had twins and after 18 years had it surgically repaired along with a tummy tuck.

Good luck. I think it usually can be managed or minimized.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I had a diastasis recti. I asked her how much of one. She said it was too hard to tell with all the fat tissue in the way. I asked her about exercises to fix it. She insisted that they don’t work and it was something I had to live with. How do I get back into shape if I don’t know what exercises are good for me. She didn’t think it mattered if I did regular sit ups or not. She said just losing weight might help it. Where should I begin. My doctor really wasn’t much help. I can’t change doctors right now.

I think I may have it as well. I did a lot of research last night on it. I do know you are supposed to stay away from crunches and sit ups. This last pregnancy was my third and my first C-section. My stomach hasn't been the same since. It just hasnt felt the same since I had my little guy. I found the 8 min. Diastatis Recti Bodyfit by Amy and I am going to try that and I also have read that doing stomach vacuums helps as well. Good luck to you!