Protein Powders/Shakes

Options
Anyone have any recommendations for either protein powders or shakes? Ive also never used them in my diet are they just for building muscle or do any or them help with weight loss?

Replies

• xxxpopeyexxx
    xxxpopeyexxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i've been using sun warrior chocolate protein blend. its plant based and doesn't spike insulin like whey protein. it's not necessarily going to build muscle or assist in weight lose. it's a protein supplement.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've used both of them for years. It started off from not being able to eat after emergency surgery, but I've kept with it, because it has several benefits. In addition to helping with muscle, it also helps with getting nutrients and also some weight loss.
  • EatThePopcorn
    EatThePopcorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've read that having a lot of your calories come from protein helps when losing weight. If you have a protein rich diet it lessens the amount of muscle you lose while dropping weight. Which is a good thing ☺. Because we want to lose fat not muscle. It's inevitable that we lose both, but we can slow down the muscle loss with a surplus of protein.
  • oliviahand20
    oliviahand20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've read that having a lot of your calories come from protein helps when losing weight. If you have a protein rich diet it lessens the amount of muscle you lose while dropping weight. Which is a good thing ☺. Because we want to lose fat not muscle. It's inevitable that we lose both, but we can slow down the muscle loss with a surplus of protein.

thanks for the info its very helpful! i was worried about losing too much muscle with weight too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i've been using sun warrior chocolate protein blend. its plant based and doesn't spike insulin like whey protein. it's not necessarily going to build muscle or assist in weight lose. it's a protein supplement.

Given it has some carbs and BCAAs, it will spike insulin.

Protein is good during weight loss as it supports muscle retention and often blunts hunger. If you can, i would recommend getting most from food as it tends to blunt hunger for longer periods. Standard whey protein will metabolize quickly and often doesn't satiate a person for long. Alternatively, using it to add protein to foods/smoothies could help with extended fullness. I use PEScience protein powders for milkshakes and puddings to help with fullness and adding flavor.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Probably get 10 different answers here and some people just hate using shakes but for me they work great I use RSP truefit for meal replacement shakes love the taste mixes great.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    cwc87dor57j5.png

I like this after my workout. I take a scoop of this in my morning coffee too. I just use it to supplement my diet. 5rap3oc3o9as.png
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think whole food is best for both nutrition and weight loss. I buy optimum nutrition brand protein powder. It is like a treat and helps me get my protein up. I don’t think it is necessary but it helps me.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,629 Member
    Options
    I started adding Premiere Protein shakes to my cold brew in the mornings to up my protein, I get them in bulk at Costco and the price isn't too bad. I know I could get healthier ones but it works with my budget.
  • MrsClevenger11
    MrsClevenger11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whey will increase lean muscle mass I think adding whey to a fruit smoothie is a great meal! I haven’t bought any in a while, but plexus Lean is full of vitamins, probiotics, and prebiotic which makes it a great even when mixed with just water. There is also THM Pristine Whey, it’s very clean and excellent quality!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whey will increase lean muscle mass I think adding whey to a fruit smoothie is a great meal! I haven’t bought any in a while, but plexus Lean is full of vitamins, probiotics, and prebiotic which makes it a great even when mixed with just water. There is also THM Pristine Whey, it’s very clean and excellent quality!

Whey by itself doesn't increase muscle mass. That is largely done with training.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,726 Member
    Options

Me too I have been using Sunwarrior for over a decade. It's my absolute favorite.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for over a decade and still have "vegan tendencies."

One of them is a preference for Vega protein powders (generally the "natural" flavors as opposed to the ones pretending to be "chocolate" or "vanilla" but that's my stance on ANY protein pow). SunWarrior was "meh" when I tried the line but perhaps they've improved the formula in the past 5-6 years.

Tried one or two whey powders but didn't like what I perceived as a "chalky taste"