Getting Old Alone

Hello,

Believe it or not, my name is Nicole "Mickey" Maschke. My mother, who I loved all of her life until she died in 1996, was basically nuts and crazy when she named me. I mean, I'm a guy, obviously, and 5'10" tall, and fairly athletic. When I was 16 I told my mother that she should have named me "What".

In any event, I live in Cleveland, Ohio. And my reasons for joining MFP are because I need to lose weight because I'm a spinal fusion survivor, with my hips fused to my spine, and a bunch of other health issues. I've written about my life, and write about my life in my journal here on MFP. I write about once a day. But as I said, I'm old, push 70. Most of my family is dead. Most of the people I've known in life are dead. And my beloved wife, Aileen, is dead. She died in 2010 from cancer. So, I'm not really very trendy. I'm not losing weight so I'll look better at the beach, or so my clothes will fit better. I'm losing weight to save my life.

So that I can keep working on my house, and property and so that I can help my neighbors. I live on a very short 4 house dead end block. And only 3 of the houses are occupied. So there's me, and then two older ladies on the block who I sort of look after. So losing weight will help me to be able to keep looking after them, and making sure they're okay. Plus, I promised Aileen before she died that I would take care of the house. So that's what I do. Take care of the house.

I'm deeply honored to be here and be part of this community. I'm just not very good around people anymore since my wife died. I am good with people from the standpoint that I love people. But I tend to feel awkward. And I tend to want to stay by myself.

Because as I tell my doctor, no one really is going to care if I die. I'm old, and all the people who cared about me are dead. So, when I finally leave the world, hardly anyone will know or care. Except perhaps God.

Anyhow, I'm sorry I left the community suddenly the other day. I was having issues about whether to stay or not. I've decided to stay.

I wish everyone here all the goodness of life. And that everyone here is okay and doing well. And I am a friend. Well, I can be a friend. I've always been a friend, no matter where I've lived in this country. And I've lived all over the US when I was younger.

So, hello from Cleveland, Ohio. May the day treat you kindly. May the wind be always at your back. And may the road rise easily upon your feet. And if you need a friend, just whisper my name, "Mickey". And some how, some way, you'll find me, right next to you, walking with you, as your friend.

It's who and what I ama, and have been in my life. Just a friend.

Godspeed.

Thanks for listening,

Mickey

Replies

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Lovely. And the thought of growing old alone has been accepted here. I am not alone though. I have an 11 year old dependent son with autism and learning disability. My church is my fail-safe although I feel I should not expect them to do more that rescue the kid if needed. So what are you doing this week? Here in Virginia, we are asked to stay home and be safe. I grocery shop as needed but call first and I walk for exercise but I used to swim at the Ymca. I have lost about 30 pounds and need to keep going 45 more. My goal is to prolong my life for care of the boy. I do not love this 112 year old house. I am trying to grow peas and then beans. We live a small life.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited March 2020
    Welcome Mickey! Thank you ever so much for the heart-filled testimony of your truths. Our MFP community and this Main Board is indeed fortunate to have you, at seeing your sincerity. Fortunately, the MFP forums are mature-adults dominant, so you'll find some good company, as long as you participate where you feel inclined. I'd first entered in Nov, 2012 weighing > 300 lbs, with the intention to gauge my cals-in vs my lbs lost, where I was gavage-fed via the peer-to-peer "counseling" within the learning-curve presented me, shell-shocked for sometime, with the in-coming advice, most of which were punctuated in jest. Once I'd reached healthy weight, what kept me motivated was my late maternal great-grandfather who lived a century and 3 years short of a decade, who maintained his independence, his health and his community responsibilities to the end, the gentle giant that he was.

Presently, in my part of Southern California in a tract home community, committing to looking out for each other, reminiscent of the old days, has effectively benefitted how well we're managing our "Stay in place" Order, from household to household within our neighbourhood, maintaining our family-like approach, responsibly dividing and sharing our time and resources and expertise.

Looking forward to reading more of your insight on the board.
    May your days be many
    May your worries be slight
    May God grant you always, ...
    a sheltering angel