Quarantine Community

Options
Hello! Having a hard time maintaining workouts and meaningful eating by being home all the time. Looking for accountability buds - ideally maybe even creating a group text?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Quarantine? As in, you are infected? Or are you just staying home because it's what we're supposed to do (social distancing?)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    We have a "stay at home" order going into effect tonight at 5. We are still able to exercise outside (just supposed to stay 6 ft away from everyone). I'm hoping to exercise more than I have been lately as part of trying to maintain some semblance of normality. Happy to check in here as part of that.

I'm going for a walk pretty soon, but was kind of hoping it would warm up some, as it's only 30.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I am continuing my normal routine of a home workout first thing in the morning. Trying to vary it a little since I can't go to the gym to lift. So, my goal is to do some sort of resistance training (dumbbells/bodyweight) each day plus extra cardio. I walk my dogs around my yard. I can't even go run because the city parks are closed.
    I'm also trying to keep to a normal eating routine. Light breakfast and lunch, afternoon coffee/snack, dinner with hubby.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We're going on a lot more walks and I'm getting more rides in than I otherwise would if I was at the office. ; My oldest just turned 10 yesterday and we and other family pitched in on a trampoline that arrived last week just in time for this...so we're jumping in the afternoon as part of the kids' scheduled fresh air/exercise time. I'm actually getting in more exercise and activity than I otherwise would sitting in my office all day and having a 2 hour daily commute.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We're going on a lot more walks and I'm getting more rides in than I otherwise would if I was at the office. ; My oldest just turned 10 yesterday and we and other family pitched in on a trampoline that arrived last week just in time for this...so we're jumping in the afternoon as part of the kids' scheduled fresh air/exercise time. I'm actually getting in more exercise and activity than I otherwise would sitting in my office all day and having a 2 hour daily commute.

Yeah, I should have extra time in the morning and evening without the commute, but I also get a pretty nice walk to and from the L normally which I will have to replace.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I have a weight bench and bike on a trainer in my basement, but haven't really used weights down there (some of them are still in my garage) since I prefer the gym. I'll have to figure out what different weights I have (all dumbbells).
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,763 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I ran outside at around 9:15 am - didn't see anyone at the condo complex grounds except for a couple of people walking dogs, although later I saw a couple walking together and a man walking with a little boy (they all kept a distance from me). I ran a loop within a nearby community college and only saw 6 other people (on a wide road so I just ran on the other side). I did have to be careful coming and going because the sidewalk outside the condo complex is narrowed by streetlamps and trees, and dodging people would be difficult.

I did wear a mask, goggles and gloves when leaving and entering my condo building because it has an indoor hallway and the ventilation isn't the greatest. I went to my car and put all of that away (sprayed it down) before going running though, then went back to the car for all of it after my run.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Yeah, I should have extra time in the morning and evening without the commute, but I also get a pretty nice walk to and from the L normally which I will have to replace.

Morning walk is how I get my kids started for their daily schedule. They usually start school at 8:45 so we're letting them just kind of chill out until around 9 before getting them into the daily routine.

I've been starting work at around 6:30 and go until 9. Then we all take an hour long walk together. 10-11am is academic time for them...11-noon is creative time. 12-12:30 is lunch....12:30-1 is chore time (they've been wiping down door handles and such and keeping their rooms and playroom picked up). 1-2:30 is quiet time...they've either been reading or watching national geographic type of stuff on t.v. 2:30-4 is academic time again and 4-5 is another round of fresh air/exercise time. Depending on where I'm at with my work, I'll join them for a bit on the trampoline. Usually take out for a ride at 5.

This is great. I think having a schedule is going to be very important.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Morning walk is how I get my kids started for their daily schedule. They usually start school at 8:45 so we're letting them just kind of chill out until around 9 before getting them into the daily routine.

I've been starting work at around 6:30 and go until 9. Then we all take an hour long walk together. 10-11am is academic time for them...11-noon is creative time. 12-12:30 is lunch....12:30-1 is chore time (they've been wiping down door handles and such and keeping their rooms and playroom picked up). 1-2:30 is quiet time...they've either been reading or watching national geographic type of stuff on t.v. 2:30-4 is academic time again and 4-5 is another round of fresh air/exercise time. Depending on where I'm at with my work, I'll join them for a bit on the trampoline. Usually take out for a ride at 5.

And someone disagrees why? I'd love to actually discuss it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Stay at home order in effect in CA/SF Bay Area too but that hasn't stopped me from going to the grocery/hardware store and PO.

Am protecting myself my wearing disposable gloves, carrying 70% isopropyl alcohol in a small spray bottle 2 use when I think necessary and maintaining social disrance. Also have an N95 madk but think it's too extreme 2 use it unless I'm in a confined space w/others where social distancing can't be maintained, wc hasn't happened 2me yet

Also just took a joy ride in one of my soorts cars just 4my own mental health. Bought some gas so technically was not in violation of the stay at home order doing so. ;)

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

I accidentally hit disagree when trying to scroll, so perhaps that is why??? I also find keeping a schedule helpful.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Stay at home order in effect in CA/SF Bay Area too but that hasn't stopped me from going to the grocery/hardware store and PO.

Am protecting myself my wearing disposable gloves, carrying 70% isopropyl alcohol in a small spray bottle 2 use when I think necessary and maintaining social disrance. Also have an N95 madk but think it's too extreme 2 use it unless I'm in a confined space w/others where social distancing can't be maintained, wc hasn't happened 2me yet

Also just took a joy ride in one of my soorts cars just 4my own mental health. Bought some gas so technically was not in violation of the stay at home order doing so. ;)

It also hasn’t stopped people from driving 4 hours from the Bay Area to my small foothill community near Yosemite. Joke’s on them, though, Yosemite just closed. I get the whole exercise outaide thing, I have been hiking nearly every day. But do it in your own city/county!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

I didn't click disagree, but mildly do, if we're talking not just about you, but about everyone.

I think that a schedule will be a help to many, but a higher order thing IMO is knowing who we each, individually, are. (If not sure, I'd go with the schedule, frankly ;) . It's a higher probability bet.).

I've been retired for a long time now (around 14 years), and pretty happy with mostly-unstructured life. I'm sure I'm not as objectively productive as I could be with more discipline (such as schedule/structure), but frankly don't feel obligated to maximum productivity, at this point. I'm confident that I can cover the minimally necessary bases, and that I will (i.e., pay my bills, eat OK-ish, work out a little, keep obligations to others, etc.) enough not to go completely off the rails. Clearly, the definition of "the basics" differs individually. In my case, no one depends on me. When they did, I covered that, too, certainly - I think not pathetically, though occasionally eccentrically.

Some people, especially those with limited work obligation now, might actually enjoy or benefit from an experiment with less structure. Needful, I suspect, to make that work: The ability and will to cut minimal-structure short, if the basics are derailing, or the psychological side is blowing a fuse. (That could be hard - slippery slope.) Unstructured might not be the best idea, but it's not wrong for all, either, IMO. To a certain, very limited, extent, the current situation is giving people a bit of a hall pass to experiment.

I think schedules are great . . . if a person lives better with one - for various definitions of "lives better". :flowerforyou:
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I may sign-up for Beach Body on demand. I need to exercise but my gym closed forever last month. Now's the time for me to try something new.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

It also hasn’t stopped people from driving 4 hours from the Bay Area to my small foothill community near Yosemite. Joke’s on them, though, Yosemite just closed. I get the whole exercise outaide thing, I have been hiking nearly every day. But do it in your own city/county!

As a local, I'm sure you know all kinds of ways 2 get into Yosemite NP other than using the main roadways.

I certainly do and I dont think the NPS has the resoures 2 close/monitor all the fire/forest roads that can give u access to the park, although the snow levels may be too deep 2 use them w/o a 4x4, chains, winch and other gear but I bet it would be fun 2do done shoeshoeing or x-country skiing on them w/o risking infection.

But no need 2 worry, I'm not driving up there. Just staying warm, snug and isolated at home ;)
  • lemurcat2
    edited March 2020
    Options

I accidentally hit disagree when trying to scroll, so perhaps that is why??? I also find keeping a schedule helpful.

Probably. I should keep in mind how easy it is to do.